What is a healthy media diet?

Missing

Fraggle Underdark

Mystery Science Theater 3000

• Like 6

If anyone wants a jumping-off point, do you agree with this random chart I found on the internet?

1*AYpAx5xH09gmHU4Lg5_qPQ.png

• Like 2
Old Maid Librarian

I agree with most of it. However, I would rank long form interpersonal communication (phone conversations, email, letters on paper) with the most desirable and more desirable than chat. Chat  is really not good for in-depth conversation in my limited experience. May be a generational thing, but I see chat messages as being "Bring home eggs and coffee",  "Meet @ Cheers after work?", or "Running late, but on my way."  Something like "Did you get the biopsy results?" or "My Dad committed suicide last night." just requires communication that is less abbreviated and more personal. 

• Like 2

@Mackenzie HolidayI feel like thats a bit obsessive, if you ignore whether or not you get this media from your work and whether or not its required that you view it, you're talking like 6 and a half hours of media. Maybe that isn't too off in reality(I mean I'm practically using 'media' all the time) but it seems excessive

Moon Sprite

"Info-toxic-ation" looks weird.

I get all my news from bumper stickers and lawn signs.

Also, fanfiction. The healthiest of all media.

• Like 2

Anything that doesn't cause stomach pain.  

Snao Cone
1 minute ago, Sally said:

Anything that doesn't cause stomach pain.  

oh no, "Sp&M" stands for "stomach pain and memes"

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

oh no, "Sp&M" stands for "stomach pain and memes"

Memes are outside my world since I can't make them.  Sp&M for me stands for Spam.  

I agree with that chart to some extent and the NB/fine print at the bottom (especially the bit about when/why we feel happier).

I consume a fair bit of media, including news, hobby sites and videos, AVEN, paper books, streaming services and some tv where I choose what I watch. I avoid the toxic stuff.

interesting chart. I do think a fair bit about the ratio of media consumed vs participated in v created. 

hard to strike a balance. 

a little annihilation

whatever makes you happy. if it makes you unhappy it needs adjusting. 

• Like 2
Autumn ace
8 minutes ago, itisntevenagoodone said:

whatever makes you happy. if it makes you unhappy it needs adjusting. 

I mostly agree with this, but I think to some extent it’s what makes you happy while not making other people unhappy. For example, if someone is really engaged in media because it makes them happy, but it’s taking up a lot of time that they would be spending with the people in their life, I think it could easily be considered unhealthy. 

• Like 1
a little annihilation
16 minutes ago, Autumn ace said:

I mostly agree with this, but I think to some extent it’s what makes you happy while not making other people unhappy. For example, if someone is really engaged in media because it makes them happy, but it’s taking up a lot of time that they would be spending with the people in their life, I think it could easily be considered unhealthy. 

that crossed my mind. i was thinking on an individual level in a vacuum 

• Like 1