What does a QPR really look like and how do you connect?

I've always imagined myself as a romantic person wanting romantic things, but I'm coming to wonder if I'm actually desire a QPR, a nonromantic relationship, lacking romantic intimacy. 

I know in a relationship, whether romantic, qpr, or platonic friendship, it is common to be an emotionally intimate connection, as well as a deep conversation and to do things together. Are those three enough to make a QPR? what more would a QPR partnership want to look like? I don't really have adequate experience in dating. I was young with young partners, and I didn't know at the time what a partnership expected or looked like. I still don't really know these things very well. 

I want to be looking for a partner now or soon, but I am so nervous because I don't know what social connection as a partner would be. I never learned it in the past. I only know a few things I've picked up from aven. Emotional support. Emotional deep conversation. humor. intimacy. love. compassion. support. shared activity. Is that enough? I won't learn this from partners if they see I'm missing an element and break up with me over it. People don't go, "oh yeah so I don't want to date you because you don't know how to be intimate" 

• Like 2
J. van Deijck

In my case, it's mostly "bromance" lol. We're partners in crime. We can really dit next to each other and do each his own thing, without talking to each other for hours. :lol: However, we're always there for each other. We have a deep emotional connection. Just without romantic gestures and without using all these pet names because we both hate it. :lol:

For us, it's enough. Something much more than just friendship, but giving each other freedom (not in the sense of having other partners, though; I'm very loyal in relationships). But yeah, it's worth to remember that it works differently for each couple and most of people want romantic relationships anyway.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, binary suns said:

I know in a relationship, whether romantic, qpr, or platonic friendship, it is common to be an emotionally intimate connection, as well as a deep conversation and to do things together. Are those three enough to make a QPR?

It's commonly said that a QPR can be whatever you (and your partner/s) want it to be!  If you are happy in a relationship with the things you listed and the relationship "feels" more categorized as queerplatonic than romantic, then of course those things are enough.🙂

6 hours ago, binary suns said:

I am so nervous because I don't know what social connection as a partner would be. I never learned it in the past. I only know a few things I've picked up from aven. Emotional support. Emotional deep conversation. humor. intimacy. love. compassion. support. shared activity. Is that enough?

I believe these things are supposed to come naturally to people in relationships, rather than forcing it and being too mechanical about it  (I am, so far, non-partnering in my life, so my perspective might be missing some important aspects).  Not sure what advice to say after that... but your question again, "is that enough?" -  it is enough if you are happy with it. 🙂  It can be even less than that if you want!  Don't push yourself to do something if you're only doing it because you feel like you have to - especially something involving intimacy.  I remember this thread, somewhat related.  Maybe you will find some clarity there!

• Like 2