Why are xenogenders defined as nonbinary? do they have to be?

Karekare

Recently I've been very much relating to the idea of having a xenogender or at least being affiliated with a spectrum of certain xenogenders, however I've noticed in the generally accepted definition for xenogender it lists nonbinary as a part of it. I was wondering why?

Despite feeling connected to the idea of having a xenogender, I wouldn't at all say that I feel nonbinary, I feel very much like a binary guy, just a form of male that happens to coexist with the idea of being otherworldly or associated with a certain thing (like many xenogenders are related to things, concepts, etc etc)

The two I relate to most are Eldrigender and Shadend, though I've created my own term, Eldriboy, as a male aligned sub-category of Eldrigender. I was wondering if I'd still be able to use the term xenogender for the labels that I enjoy for myself and I feel connected to despite not being non-binary. I know it's probably not a strict requirement, but it's definitely something that threw me off as someone who feels like a binary (albiet otherworldly) man

• Like 2
verily-forsooth-egads

In theory, "nonbinary" just means some gender that isn't part of the traditional male/female dichotomy—any gender that challenges traditional perceptions of what gender can be. Genders that are in some aspect fully binary can still be that.

In practice, "nonbinary" has taken on connotations not everyone nominally included in its umbrella is comfortable with, and that's okay. Just understand why the definitions are written that way, and then go use the terms you actually want.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, verily-forsooth-egads said:

Just understand why the definitions are written that way, and then go use the terms you actually want.

I'm gonna try to burn this quote into my memory 🧠🧠🧠🤯

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Xenogenders are defined by the user. You can be cis and be xenic at the same time, and your xenicness doesn't cancel out your cisness. You can be binary trans and be xenic at the same time, and your xenicness doesn't cancel out your binary transness. I put myself "under the nonbinary umbrella" because it's the only place I fit, and I have a little nonbinary flag on my desk because you can't really buy xenogender flags in stores, but I don't even feel connected to being nonbinary. I just feel xenic. Full stop. At the end of the day, you are still a binary man because you say you are and that's the only thing that matters.