"Over The Hill"

Perhaps it is just me but since turning 40 I've had comments from people in dialy life saying "Down hill from now on, especially now you are over the hill". 

I never understood why most at 40 believe they should all of a sudden change their whole demeanour to fit into an age bracket or act accordingly into how society deems our age bracket to act.

Ageism in general has never sat well with me, it's almost as if being different is shunned and everyone feels locked into societys version of how they should present themselves. 

I saw a 65 year old today riding a Harley with all the leather blasting some hard rock and thought "I want to be like him when I grow up" 😂 

Freedom of expression should always be honoured at any age, life's to short for limitations and fitting into the "Norm".

And "Glowups" lord ageing is a privilege most don't have a chance to experience. 

Pt1wANP.jpg

I dont think I look that much different from my 18 year old self to 40, except the fact I am as blind as a bat without glasses on. 😂 I look more mature.

Nowadays 40, 50, 60, 70 year olds don't look their age and a person's worth shouldn't be devalued because of their age.

Society has to much control over what is deemed "Normal" one blessing with getting older I've realised I refuse to act accordingly to societys pressure.

• Like 9

I think people don't look as old as they used to because of lower rates of smoking and higher sunscreen usage.

Anyway, I've been 40 for a few months now and I've gotten two tattoos in that time span, so my choices don't particularly reflect societal expectations for my chronological demographic.

• Like 6

My mother got some of her tattoos in her 80s. I'm not sure if she is done with getting more yet or not, but it's her choice either way. :) 

I'm going on 67 and still interested in dinosaurs and Lego. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Snao Cone said:

I think people don't look as old as they used to because of lower rates of smoking and higher sunscreen usage.

I think that is definitely a factor. I wonder if there are also some cultural things, such as clothing styles, hair styles, etc., that also contribute this. I mean, I look at people in older movies (from the 60s, 50s, 40s) and think some (many?) people looked older in them than their actual age. That may be due in part to the styles. At the same time, some people may be more healthy these days than some people.

Also, I may be more blind to how I appear age-wise. :P 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, KVA1983 said:

I saw a 65 year old today riding a Harley with all the leather blasting some hard rock and thought "I want to be like him when I grow up" 😂 

That is so awesome, a 65 year old riding a Harley.  I love it.

• Like 3

@Snao ConeLove it! I am exactly the same, though I am in the process of getting my first tattoo this week.

I would love a full back piece but it's not a possibility at present due to spinal damage, so outer arm. 

I definitely don't have any specific style if it's comfortable I'm in it. 😂 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, daveb said:

dinosaurs and Lego

My mother actually collects Lego Technic especially the older 80's versions. I do believe she has a few pieces from Harry Potter, she keeps meaning to get around to building half of them but always gets way laid by some sort of wee project,  bless her.

I never "Acted" my age I think that's one of the reasons people in this day and age live longer because of that factor.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, thylacine said:
6 hours ago, KVA1983 said:

That is so awesome, a 65 year old riding a Harley.  I love it.

I recently discovered the group is equivalent to "Hells Angels" I was awestruck :)

• Like 2

At 69 I proudly wear whatever I feel like, do whatever I want - as long as nobody else is involved or getting hurt it's nobody's business. 

56b7640742f6dcda8f4b0cf93a891c22.jpg

• Like 3

@slywlf 💯 I wish more of the Irish population had that though process as over here it is rare to see anyone outside of my own bracket being "Different".

Younger generation have made a lot of headway over here so I am hoping that changes and more live less fearful and take the chance to truly live in whichever way they feel comfortable. 

Quite close minded in many ways here still.

• Like 2
Anomaly Q3Xr

I turned 40 last year, and I don't feel any different about my age than I did 5 years ago, 10 years ago, or 15 years ago. I will continue on my path in life enjoying the things I enjoy, and being the person that I am, regardless of what my age may be. I am very different from the majority of 40 year olds that I know, but I don't care, as they are not me. I intend to live for 150+ years, so I still have many many years to go. I allowed myself to be pressured by society a lot in my younger days, but I am much more resilient and generally happy with my life now that I live for me. There's still a colossal way to go before I even reach the hill's summit.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Sammie M said:

There's still a colossal way to go before I even reach the hill's summit.

This ♥ Though 150+ years I think I'd be the female equivalent of "Professor X" minus the bald head zipping around in a wheelchair with joint issues. 😂 

It is nice to know more share my feelings on not letting age and especially society define their choices and actions to act accordingly to "Fit In".

Regardless of age bracket even outside of 40, I honestly cannot respect those around me enough who are living their life freely as they choose or their terms :)

• Like 2

It's the best thing when you simply decide to act the way you want, not the way someone expetcs you to. Being yourself is most important. I have plenty of plushies in my flat. I have a huge love for Pikachu (as my avatar shows 😂) and I have several Pikachu themed things. Two t-shirts which I wear, two plushies, keychain I use, phone case, funko pop. I don't care it's "childish" or whatever, I am me and if someone doesn't like it, they can turn around and walk away.

• Like 3

@HideGreat outlook to have and one a lot more should adapt to :) Funny enough I love anime, after doing 12 hours writing I'd rather chill to anime than watch something more age fitting. 😂 

I grew up with Studio Ghibli :)

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, KVA1983 said:

@HideGreat outlook to have and one a lot more should adapt to :) Funny enough I love anime, after doing 12 hours writing I'd rather chill to anime than watch something more age fitting. 😂 

I grew up with Studio Ghibli :)

I don't even know what "age fitting" is 😆

I was a huge anime fan when I was younger, watched everything I could find on TV. Ghibli is amazing, they have all the amazing titles. I still watch anime from time to time but it's very rare these days. Now I'm watching all the old TV shows I missed, shows I didn't know about. For example, I knew about Supernatural for years but watched it only the last year. Rewatching it right now. Also, my best friend showed me Once Upon a Time last year, another amazing show. About fairy tales' characters but oh well, I loved it.
I still have all the mangas I've bough years ago.

• Like 3

@Hide"Once Upon A Time" it was good.

Never seen "Supernatural" I literally just finished "Stranger Things" for the first time, enjoyed it.

"Sandman" was quite good as well :)

• Like 2

"Stranger Things" is yet another TV show my best friend showed to me and I loved it! She generally knows all the amazing shows/movies. I never felt disappointed with her suggestions for watching stuff. Thanks to her I got to know a lot of old movies that are great.

It's the best to watch you enjoy. I don't like boring, "normal" shows/movies. Fantasy/horror are my fav genres and that's what I prefer to watch.

• Like 2

@HideI am a complete horror and fantasy fan :)

Fantasy: Legend, Willow, Neverending Story, Goonies, The Dark Crystal :)

Horror: Event Horizon, They (Quite Rare), Arcade, IT, Pet Sematary more or less all the old classics :)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, KVA1983 said:

@HideI am a complete horror and fantasy fan :)

Fantasy: Legend, Willow, Neverending Story, Goonies, The Dark Crystal :)

Horror: Event Horizon, They (Quite Rare), Arcade, IT, Pet Sematary more or less all the old classics :)

When it comes to horrors, I will literally watch any and all xD I'm super easily scared, all horrors are scary to me. Though I prefer paranormal over slashers. When it comes to slashers, I will watch only old classics with Freddy or Jason.
And not gonna lie, I'm a huge Stephen King fan so I will watch anything based on his books (trying to get all his books too).

• Like 1

@HideStephen King is amazing :) I am currently writing a book based on what I endured which is now being considered for film production. Based on true events that I survived but it's getting a lot of attention at present.

Stephen King was always someone I admired and looked up to in way of his writing style. Most say he can't end a book well but end of "Pet Sematary" sent chills up my spine and still does.

• Like 1
On 7/26/2023 at 3:11 PM, KVA1983 said:

everyone feels locked into societys version of how they should present themselves. 

I don't think I know of any societal expectations for my age group.  I know the basics--walk on two feet (not all fours); wear clothing except in very specific situations; don't scream or yell without good cause; say please and thank you; don't slurp your soup, belch or fart; etc., but I've never noticed anything specific to my age group (I'm 65).  But, then, I live in Portland, Oregon, where anything goes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

But, then, I live in Portland, Oregon, where anything goes.

Over where I live it's quite different others are extremely judgemental based around age. If you act out of that particular group bracket. 

Dress differently in a way that isn't "Normal" nevermind represent or be part of LGBTQTIA+ community. 

General etiquette is just manners.

• Like 2
On 7/27/2023 at 12:48 AM, KVA1983 said:

@slywlf 💯 I wish more of the Irish population had that though process as over here it is rare to see anyone outside of my own bracket being "Different".

Younger generation have made a lot of headway over here so I am hoping that changes and more live less fearful and take the chance to truly live in whichever way they feel comfortable. 

Quite close minded in many ways here still.

If I still lived in NY my attitude wouldn't get so much as a second glance.

However, since I retired in Florida, which is part of the so called "Bible Belt", I do attract some startled reactions, occasionally some noses in the air. Fortunately Florida is also home to retirees from up north as well, so for every disapproving snort I usually get a good dozen approving grins, thumbs up and questions about my hair - purple and teal - as to how I do it, what products I use.

I do hope Ireland catches up, because we all have enough to cope with as asexuals without having to disguise our personalities as well as our orientation! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, slywlf said:

purple and teal

That sounds like an amazing combination! I was tempted to try "Manic Panic" product in the UK in which you can create your own concoction of colour.

I do believe it's wildly available in the US as well but lovely to see it. A lady I am friends with on TikTok has the same colour combination as yourself but hers is dark purple and light teal :)

Ireland is very closed off even with cutting my hair as short as it is now gets "Disapproving" looks or opinions that should otherwise be kept to themselves. 

At the sane time very much like yourself for each disapproval there is twice as many smiling and giving compliments.

It's terrible in this world in some countries people can't live their authentic true self's through fear of the reactions of others. 

• Like 1