A turn up for the books

Monke Jimmy

I feel like this is evidence that even the best of us need some way of keeping ourselves in check. Without accountability we can turn into monsters. 

• Like 1

The Dalai Lama's whole thing has been whining about losing his position as the ordained leader of a theocratic slave state. Western media (and CIA funding) has done an exceptional PR job of turning him into some kind of avatar of peace and goodness.

Forgive Pinochet, says Dalai Lama

Dalai Lama: I love George W. Bush

Dalai Lama: Germany cannot become an Arab country (funny how googling this one brought up so many reactionary rags like the Daily Mail and the Washington Examiner 🤔)

• Like 3
Alaska Native Manitou

A few years back, he talked about possibly reincarnating as a woman, but it was just a lead-in to making dirty jokes about women's anatomy.  In fact he has always preached the Buddhist doctrine that being born female (or worse: transgender) is punishment for wickedness in your previous life.

I believe that he allied with the Nazis as well.

The more one delves, the worse it gets.  I have a couple of books by him that will be heading for the recycling bin. :(

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Chinese propaganda? Sticking out their tongues is an ancient greeting. If you doubt him go and see him. If your not brain dead you'll instantly realise how different from you he really is. Seriously, don't knock it until you've tried it. It's an amazing and inspiring experience meeting someone who's gone past what you can comprehend.

Olallieberry
9 hours ago, Pushpa said:

Sticking out their tongues is an ancient greeting

Is asking the people you're greeting to suck on their tongues (or yours, I forget how it went) part of this?

What do you make of his apology, if it was so innocent, traditional, ancient and misunderstood?

11 hours ago, Ollie415 said:

Is asking the people you're greeting to suck on their tongues (or yours, I forget how it went) part of this?

What do you make of his apology, if it was so innocent, traditional, ancient and misunderstood?

According to Professor RF Thurman who is a friend of Dalai Lama its more a Grandparent thing. He put it like this, suppose a Child visits his Grandfather and the grandfather has sweets for the child. Like children everywhere the child won't want the supply of sweets to end. He nags the Grandparent until the Grandparent, to make the point that there is no more says "what are you going to do?" "Eat my tongue?" I've seen a lot of footage claiming the videos were deep fake. It's not for me too defend a head of state but there are numerous photos of Tibetans smiling with their tongues out. I guess in a -30° C winter a quick flash of a person's tongue could be an efficient greeting. Which apology?

There are several around. Considering the atrocities committed by the Chinese government on the Tibetan people I'm inclined to believe the Tibetans version. Your free to make your own mind up though.

Olallieberry
2 hours ago, Pushpa said:

I've seen a lot of footage claiming the videos were deep fake.

Which videos?

2 hours ago, Pushpa said:

Which apology?

You're not aware that he addressed the matter and it wasn't fake? Do you think both the original video and the apology were faked?

You're aware that sticking out his tongue wasn't the greeting, a kiss on the lips was? If that was all that had happened, I'm positive there would have been no reaction. The "suck my tongue" tongue thing was an escalation.

I'm not attacking the DL. For now (in absence of a pattern, and given that it happened in front of cameras and a lot of people) I can believe that he's just too old, isolated and unworldly to know how it looks and how the globe was likely to react, and that he didn't have creepy intentions.

I'm not so invested in following him that I can't think critically about things here.  There doesn't seem to be any claim anywhere that the apology was fabricated, though it is weakly unspecific. If he wanted to molest a boy, he wouldn't have done it in front of cameras and an audience. There is no denial from the DL regarding the specifics of the video's contents. He didn't apologize for the kiss, but for unspecified words. It's right there on His Holiness's website.

But come on. People "defending" him by fabricating a deepfake narrative aren't helping. That behavior is just as bad of a look as kissing a boy on the mouth and then asking him to suck his tongue in the first place - arguably worse.

I'm not accusing you of fabricating a deepfake narrative, yourself. I'm just thinking critically about what you're repeating.

6 minutes ago, Ollie415 said:

Which videos?

You're not aware that he addressed the matter and it wasn't fake? Do you think both the original video and the apology were faked?

You're aware that sticking out his tongue wasn't the greeting, a kiss on the lips was? If that was all that had happened, I'm positive there would have been no reaction. The "suck my tongue" tongue thing was an escalation.

I'm not attacking the DL. For now (in absence of a pattern, and given that it happened in front of cameras and a lot of people) I can believe that he's just too old, isolated and unworldly to know how it looks and how the globe was likely to react, and that he didn't have creepy intentions.

I'm not so invested in following him that I can't think critically about things here.  There doesn't seem to be any claim anywhere that the apology was fabricated, though it is weakly unspecific. If he wanted to molest a boy, he wouldn't have done it in front of cameras and an audience. There is no denial from the DL regarding the specifics of the video's contents. He didn't apologize for the kiss, but for unspecified words. It's right there on His Holiness's website.

But come on. People "defending" him by fabricating a deepfake narrative aren't helping. That behavior is just as bad of a look as kissing a boy on the mouth and then asking him to suck his tongue in the first place - arguably worse.

I'm not accusing you of fabricating a deepfake narrative, yourself. I'm just thinking critically about what you're repeating.

I don't believe he had creepy intentions either. I don't know what to say. I sort of tuned out after a while because of the conflicting narratives. The whole thing hasn't changed what I think about him.