What is your skincare routine?

MarRister

1 minute ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

What's a soap-free bar?

Soap-free technically means free of fats and alkaline ingredients, it uses plant based ingredients without the harsh chemicals :)

• Like 2
Sarah-Sylvia
Just now, KVA1983 said:

Soap-free technically means free of fats and alkaline ingredients, it uses plant based ingredients without the harsh chemicals :)

Nice :), thanks. I've thought about trying less chemical-based stuff, thought not sure where to get, stores really like their chemicals :P

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

Nice :), thanks. I've thought about trying less chemical-based stuff, thought not sure where to get, stores really like their chemicals :P

I'm launching my own line soon :) On TikTok under @DioneDerma I should be launching end of September but I'll be doing tips over there as well.

There is a brand called "Original Source" very good or "Desert Essence" is another good make.

Look for soap-free, non-comedgenic and plant based products they are superior to chemical-based. 

• Like 1

The Squalene Cleanser I mentioned in my OP is soap free. It is kind of weird compared to a traditional cleanser, because you actually use it on dry skin initially and it is like an oil, then rinse off with warm water.

Only update to my skin routine is that I swapped my moisturizer to The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + Beta Glucan instead of the hyaluronic acid one. I live in a pretty dry climate, and this one is a more lightweight gel one, so I find it works really well for me and I like it better. I still swear by the niacinamide and zinc serum for doing great things for my skin. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, MarRister said:

niacinamide

It's exceptional because the composition Niacinamide has the benefit of not causing skin flushing. Wow...nerding out here 😂 

Oil based cleansers are brilliant started using them recently as well, I make mine up with Abyssinian Oil due to it being lightweight on the skin.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, KVA1983 said:

Abyssinian Oil

Never heard of this oil before, will have to look it up.

I really like the idea of the squalane cleanser because squalene is already a natural part of sebum, so I'm not really introducing anything new to my skin that could upset things, and its function in sebum is to strengthen the skin barrier and helps to retain moisture. Some may think it counter intuitive to be adding this to your face when sebum is often what is blamed for clogging pores and acne, but I think because it is one component of sebum and it doesn't upset the skin balance it could actually help lower sebum production over all while still cleansing the skin, but idk if that is actually true or not.

I found so many other cleansers to be super harsh, and they strip all the good things off your face and upset your skin moisture barrier, and I think to compensate my face would over produce oil to try and protect my skin and cause more problems that ended up just being a nasty cycle. 

I also got super into learning about the microbiome for a bit there and find it fascinating. When I think about a traditional acne fighting ingredient like benzoyl peroxide, I just can't help but think how that is likely really damaging to the skin microbiome because it cannot discern good bacteria from problem bacteria and could be causing a cycle of bacterial issues because you are keeping your skin out of balance. I think salicylic acid has a better outcome because it doesn't really kill bacteria, just helps unclog pores.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, MarRister said:

squalane

Squalane is 100% natural, high quality and handmade by bacteria found naturally in our skin. Biomimetic to sebum & prebiotic, it increases the resilience & diversity of the microbiome by 17% and helps repair and maintain the skin barrier.

Jojoba Oil is very much the same in regards to being natural to our own cosmetic makeup in the way sebum acts.

Like yourself the more natural I can keep my routine the better and biodiversity of the biodermalogical barrier is fascinating. 

Abyssinian Oil has a biological makeup that mimics sebum, to rapidly penetrate the outer layers of the epidermis to deeply nourish the skin and sooth dry or irritated skin. It also helps to balance out the natural oils in your skin, which is great if you have a particularly oily complexion or oily patches in combination skin.

Superior in a lot of ways much like Squalane.

• Like 1

I have really oily skin, but what I've found over the years is that if I over-cleanse I only get even oilier 🙃 To be honest, time and birth control has been the biggest impact on my skin. Now that I'm 30 I thankfully only occasionally get super painful cyctic acne, and usually only a single pimple at a time.

I swear by the ordinary because it's relatively cheap and also doesn't add fragrance or colour to their products. I also use a super expensive facial sunscreen (Elta MD) all year round, which also has helped reduce my acne scars A LOT. It's stupid expensive, but also the only sunscreen I've found that doesn't make my skin feel oily and also has a high enough spf to actually protect my skin. I'm all out at the moment, but next pay cheque I'm definitely restocking

Also just came across this website: https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ that rates products based on the ingredients and their 'hazard' level, since some ingredients they include in beauty products can be known/suspected carcinogens, endocrine disrupters etc.. Was pleasantly reassured that nearly all the ordinary products has really low hazard ratings and will probably check anything I buy against this site now.

Been trying to find a shampoo that works half decently, isn't full of a bunch of shit, and isn't extremely pricey... seems way too difficult.

• Like 2
OptimisticPessimist

I use cleanser, toner and moisturiser, in that order. 

I always use Simple skin care products but i do like Lush face masks. 

• Like 2

I use witch hazel, coconut oil under the eye, and cetaphil face lotion 

• Like 1
Captain_Tass

So, I tried out LRP effaclar foaming cleanser and it made my once oily skin dry like a mf prune, so I turned to Dr Google and the reddit skincare girlies to tell me if the product is a hellspawn or if I'm a bit of a dummy and used it wrong, and 3 minutes of research showed that I was indeed the problem, because I applied a full pump on wet skin and made zero foam on the hands, whereas I was supposed to apply half that (or less) and make foam on the hands.

So I just moisturized (something I don't usually do at night but I was suffering) and tomorrow I'm going to use it properly to give it a fair chance...

Captain_Tass
On 8/28/2023 at 9:45 PM, MarRister said:

Also just came across this website: https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ that rates products based on the ingredients and their 'hazard' level, since some ingredients they include in beauty products can be known/suspected carcinogens, endocrine disrupters etc.. Was pleasantly reassured that nearly all the ordinary products has really low hazard ratings and will probably check anything I buy against this site now.

Been trying to find a shampoo that works half decently, isn't full of a bunch of shit, and isn't extremely pricey... seems way too difficult.

Ooh that site seems very useful! It rated my cleanser a 4 because of its fragrance, but at least it doesn't have any ingredients emitting 78 xandrillion roentgens worth of radiation in it so I won't boot it

(Please forgive my goofy wording it's 05:47 my timezone and have no business being on AVEN... The site is unironically real neat, and I wish you luck with the shampoo! I can't help you with that because I've been washing either with the tiny hotel shampoo bottles I stole out of the hotel room I stayed in a month ago, or with some stuff I found on the island that probably expired around 2014 or so, but hey I'm not dead or itchy...)

EDIT: lmao I just checked my mum's foaming gel, we're all getting endocrinologically disrupted due to perfume in this household

I'll let her know in the morning (the morning is defined as "when I wake up") (it's currently 06:00 I'd better turn off my light)

• Like 1

I keep hearing fragrance are some the worst culprits. 

I'm trying to find a balance between fragrance free products and products that have fragrances that are acceptable to health, cause sometimes I still want to smell good and all haha. Which reminds me I need to look up this perfume sampler kit I recently got...

• Like 1
Squirrel Combat

I just dunk myself in boiling oil. Cleans everything off. 🤪

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...