Favorite way to travel

Missing

Favorite way to travel  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite way to travel?

• Walk
    • Drive
    • Bike
    • Fly
    • Sail
    • Swim
    • Climb
    • Horseback
    • Teleport
    • Sashay
    • Train

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm more of an athletic person so i like walking but i love travelling by train more than walking because then i can see the stations and beautiful sceneries passing through before my eyes and i love it! So mostly train if it's a long distance but for a short distance, i walk or take bus ride in order to reach to my destination quickly..

• Like 2

Who else here loves airplane food? :D

Though this is pretty subjective as some airlines will have really good meals especially for longer flights, like Emirates and Etihahd, others will have lousy food, and most airlines either don't hand any food out at all if they even decide to give you a refreshment for short flights, or they will hand out things like crackers and cheese and that kind of thing which is nothing to write home about (along with wet wipes, which, lets be honest, you can't eat :rolleyes:).

All right realistically speaking bike for short distance 

Plane for long distance 

But come on teleportation how cool would that be to just visit your grandma across the country in 0.1 seconds!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Calliers said:

Who else here loves airplane food?

Not me. :P 

I don't like that many airlines seem to pass out tiny bags of tiny pretzels these days rather than the nuts they used to pass out. I get the nut allergy issue, and the need for something different, but I really don't like pretzels. Also, you often don't know what is in the tiny bags until you get one and open it since they are usually not labeled and the flight attendants don't tell you what it is.

One airline I used to fly on a for a while would give out fresh-baked chocolate chips (still warm). That I loved.

Otherwise, most of the food they sell (because unless you're flying first class or something you have to pay extra for the food - and if you are flying first class you are paying for the food in the much higher ticket prices) is not that good in my experience/opinion.

Nah, if you decent food on an airplane you're probably better off bringing your own as long as it's stuff they will let through security. Otherwise, I'd buy stuff in the airport if I really need something on a flight.

For me, the only good thing about flying is it's usually the quickest way to get somewhere beyond a certain distance, and sometimes the only way if you have to cross oceans.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, daveb said:

For me, the only good thing about flying is it's usually the quickest way to get somewhere beyond a certain distance, and sometimes the only way if you have to cross oceans.

You could always take a lengthy cruise.... 🤣

• Like 1
Just now, Calliers said:

You could always take a lengthy cruise.... 🤣

Yeah, Oregon to Europe would certainly be lengthy. :P (or to NZ or Australia)

(I'd actually consider it, except the cost would probably be prohibitive, if everything else could be worked out, which is another advantage of flying)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, daveb said:

Yeah, Oregon to Europe would certainly be lengthy. :P (or to NZ or Australia)

(I'd actually consider it, except the cost would probably be prohibitive, if everything else could be worked out, which is another advantage of flying)

How about just joining the navy? And taking the time to do your business whenever your aircraft carrier or ship or sub docks in the region you wanna get to? :P

J. van Deijck

I've never been on an airplane, so I don't know :lol:

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Calliers said:

How about just joining the navy? And taking the time to do your business whenever your aircraft carrier or ship or sub docks in the region you wanna get to? :P

Heck no! :P 

(even if they took senior citizens I can't/won't handle military discipline) :P 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

I've never been on an airplane, so I don't know :lol:

Don't worry, it isn't really all it's made out to be. But if you want, you can take a short trip somewhere if you'd just like to cross it off your bucket list. :)

6 minutes ago, daveb said:

I hate the military too, when I was younger I almost joined the Forces, thank goodness I didn't, it would have been a cheap way to pay for my studies at the time and also given me a really nice body, but I don't think I would have exactly enjoyed the experience. Especially not early on.

• Like 1

I grew up in the 60s, and turned 18 right about the end of the Vietnam War. Military service was anathema to me at the time I would have been eligible (and to a lot of guys around my age who saw what the war did to other guys), and I've always known it wouldn't suit me anyway and I wouldn't suit it. :P 

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
3 minutes ago, Calliers said:
11 minutes ago, daveb said:

I hate the military too, when I was younger I almost joined the Forces, thank goodness I didn't, it would have been a cheap way to pay for my studies at the time and also given me a really nice body, but I don't think I would have exactly enjoyed the experience. Especially not early on.

And @daveb probably remembers that was one of my dreams way back :o

For airplanes, I'm actually scared of them :lol:

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, daveb said:

I grew up in the 60s, and turned 18 right about the end of the Vietnam War. Military service was anathema to me at the time I would have been eligible (and to a lot of guys around my age who saw what the war did to other guys), and I've always known it wouldn't suit me anyway and I wouldn't suit it. :P 

Totally understand.

2 minutes ago, alsjeblieft said:

And @daveb probably remembers that was one of my dreams way back :o

For airplanes, I'm actually scared of them :lol:

Oh, why so? Afraid of crashing? Or of getting plane sick?

Air travel is A LOT safer than even traveling in a car, and that is why whenever a plane crashes it is big news, especially if there are no survivors. Or they can't find the wreckage at all. Reason why also they report plane crashes in other countries, because they are so few and far between, there are tones of planes in the air at any one given time, and I can guarantee you that most of them are not falling out of the sky.

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
4 hours ago, Calliers said:

Afraid of crashing?

This. I can't help it :ph34r: I don't get sick in vehicles at all, and I'm not scared of crossing the seas, but planes are omg. 😱 

Still, my favourite way of transport will be always train. There's something about it, just sitting there with headphones on, listening to music and being melancholic :P

• Like 2
4 hours ago, alsjeblieft said:

Still, my favourite way of transport will be always train.

:)

I just wish we had more options for train travel here, going to more places. I enjoy traveling by train. 

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
8 minutes ago, daveb said:

:)

I just wish we had more options for train travel here, going to more places. I enjoy traveling by train. 

You know what's good :D

• Like 2

For travel within a city or fairly short distances I also prefer rail over buses, whether it's a trolley system, light rail, or the same trains used for longer distances. We do have some light rail where I live, and it's great in some cases, but of course doesn't go everywhere or even come close enough to my specific area to be a good option in most cases.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tja said:

Dirigible 

I'll one up you and say Maglev. :P

• Like 3
DemonicEnby

If I realistically could, flying would be awesome. 

And it might help with the afraid of heights bit.

Other than that, teleporting would be even more awesome, but I would rather like to be able to just open portals, kinda lika Kurogiri from mha. And be a being out of vapor sure is cool. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, DemonicEnby said:

If I realistically could, flying would be awesome. 

And it might help with the afraid of heights bit.

Other than that, teleporting would be even more awesome, but I would rather like to be able to just open portals, kinda lika Kurogiri from mha. And be a being out of vapor sure is cool. 

Yeah, opening Portals like Dr. Strange or like they did in the T.V. show Sliders would be fun.

4 hours ago, Tja said:

Dirigible 

Better yet, let's just go ahead and say Hyperloop. :P

• Like 1
On 3/28/2022 at 4:58 PM, daveb said:

We do have some light rail where I live, and it's great in some cases, but of course doesn't go everywhere or even come close enough to my specific area to be a good option in most cases.

We don't have light rail in my city, though I used the local system when I visited the Gdańsk-Gdynia-Sopot area, and liked it a lot.

@Tja I'd love to try a dirigible. I've never travelled through air. Hopefully, we wouldn't end up like Hindenburg :P 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Piotrek said:

@Tja I'd love to try a dirigible. I've never travelled through air. Hopefully, we wouldn't end up like Hindenburg :P

I was testing at the military base on the 75th anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster (10 years ago). Drove within a few feet of the spot on which it landed/crashed.

• Like 2

Giving me the option of teleportation was a mistake

• 1 month later...
Skycaptain

Depends on distance

Under 1km walk 

1-15km bike

15km drive

• Like 1

I've recently discovered this YT channel https://www.youtube.com/c/PlanesTrainsEverything/videos It's about travelling with the emphasis on various modes of trasport (ships, ferries, trains, etc) within the UK

(actually, on further inspection, there's a lot about international travel there too)

• Like 2
fooledbysecrecy

trains!!! but walking for a short journey. or bus if it's a longer short journey.

• Like 3
On 5/8/2022 at 2:00 AM, Piotrek said:

I've recently discovered this YT channel https://www.youtube.com/c/PlanesTrainsEverything/videos It's about travelling with the emphasis on various modes of trasport (ships, ferries, trains, etc) within the UK

(actually, on further inspection, there's a lot about international travel there too)

That reminds me of the comedy movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles. It was a great movie for it's time. ^_^

It starred Steve Martin (love that guy), John Candy and Laila Robins.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Mentally preparing myself for the prospect of spending a few hours in a coach starting at  6AM on the next Saturday. It's not the same as an overnight coach, as I'll have a few hours of sleep in my own bed beforehand, but still it may be trying.

• Like 2
J. van Deijck

I remember I was sitting in a bus for 16 hours and that was very long :lol:

Recently I spent an hour on our double-decker M6 on the lower floor and I've had terrible back pain for a week straight afterwards :lol: upper floor is much more comfortable. 

• Like 1