Favorite way to travel

Missing

Favorite way to travel  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite way to travel?

• Walk
    • Drive
    • Bike
    • Fly
    • Sail
    • Swim
    • Climb
    • Horseback
    • Teleport
    • Sashay
    • Train

This poll is closed to new votes

Short-range: just walk

Long-range: by train (could you add it as an option?) I'm not an actual trainspotter, but I do like to randomly watch trains calling at the station nearby. 

I don't drive, I've never travelled by plane, I can't keep my balance on a bike, I've never been on a sailboat (though I travelled by ferry on one ocassion)

• Like 4
Anomaly Q3Xr

Definitely teleportation, how else would I travel to so many different worlds?

If I'm just spending time on Earth specifically, then walking short distance, train long distance.

I don't drive, as I have to renew my license annually because of my mental health and it was just to mentally exhausting, plus although I rode a scooter for 6 months, I have never taken a single driving lesson for a car.

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

train (could you add it as an option?)

Added :)

• Like 2

Train rides are so aesthetically pleasing. Like, yes please. I love to be in a train and appreciate the scenery passing by.

• Like 8

If only teleporting was possible and safe. I'm done with 'the journey is more important than the destination'. I've traveled too much back and forth along boring motorways. Having said that, the best alternative to that is travelling by train, but not one that's overly full. I have loving memories of the old style night trains that used to run, but also of the sweaty people I sometimes had to share a compartment with 😅

• Like 4
Fraggle Underdark

67gd0t.jpg

• Like 14
1 minute ago, - 𝕱𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖌𝖑𝖊𝕽𝖔𝖈𝕶 - said:

67gd0t.jpg

You shouldn't be so eager to be the first person to answer the poll 😋

Fraggle Underdark
11 minutes ago, Acing It said:

You shouldn't be so eager to be the first person to answer the poll 😋

67gfat.jpg

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Acing It said:

Having said that, the best alternative to that is travelling by train, but not one that's overly full. I have loving memories of the old style night trains that used to run

The only time I travelled by train at nighttime was when my mother and the approximately 5 year old me were visiting my relatives all the way at the other end of Poland. I can't really remember anything, but the journey took 24 hours and 3 trains so a part of it had to take place at night :)

21 minutes ago, bad_apple said:

I love to be in a train and appreciate the scenery passing by.

This. There's of course a risk of a train breaking down amid the snow and you getting your butt frozen when the electricity is out, as well as the always-dreaded possibility of boarding the wrong train and not noticing for several hours. And yes, I've been there .... Overall though, that feeling of boarding a train and embarking on a ride (even if it's just a few stations) is something I always look forward to.

• Like 5

Bus is my favorite way to travel.

Plane is a close second.

• Like 3
TheSmolFoxWeeb

I like to sprout a pair of wings and fly to McDonald’s

• Like 3

I do like to travel by train, but unfortunately wth the nearest train station 30 minutes away, I do not get the chance to very often. Our train station closed to passengers 50 years before I was born. 

In the last 2 years, my travelling by any thing other than foot has been a wee bit limited, I think in total I made 5 journeys by other method than by foot. 2.5 were by bus and 2.5 were by car (one way in one of the journey was by bus and return was by car), all 5 have been since July 2021. 

Edited by iff
  • Like 4

I wish we had more destinations available by train here. I like train travel. For shorter journeys (12 hours or less) my preferred option would be to share the ride with a friend. Longer rides, it would be cool to have a compartment. I love the way train travel is depicted in old movies.

In a somewhat similar manner, methods like ship travel or dirigible travel as depicted in old films also seem like a good way to go.

Some sort of transporter would be cool, but seems like it won't be likely for a long time to come. I'm not sure if it is even possible.

Really, anything that avoids being crammed in with crowds and/or in cramped spaces, but where I don't have to spend the time doing the driving would be good to me. Like some sort of spacious touring car with a driver, a real self-driving car (not the kind where you still have to be there to take charge as needed), a portal you can just walk through, etc. 

But given the current state of technology and reality, I guess I'd go with train travel first, if possible, followed by a toss-up between plane (for speed) or car (for avoiding crowds) as secondary choices. I'd love to be able to visit my friend by getting there by train.

Edited by daveb
  • Like 1
a little annihilation

I picked fly before I read all the options. I've only flown on one trip but I really enjoyed it.

If I'd read all the options I would've picked sashay.

• Like 1

What about meander? That can be fun if you're not in a hurry. :D

Trains are the BEST.  They are not the most practical for me, where I live, and where I often want to go to, but given the opportunity (enough free time, etc.) I will sometimes travel to another city in order to be able to take a long distance (multi-day) train trip instead of flying for a few hours.

• Like 3
J. van Deijck

I love trains, so train.

• Like 3
Siimo van der fietspad

Bicycle, so long as there is good cycle infrastructure. Otherwise, electric car with a big battery and rapid charge.

• Like 1

Yay, train gang :D we're leading in the poll.

21 hours ago, daveb said:

I wish we had more destinations available by train here. I like train travel. For shorter journeys (12 hours or less) my preferred option would be to share the ride with a friend. Longer rides, it would be cool to have a compartment. I love the way train travel is depicted in old movies.

The way I see it, whenever travel is depicted in contemporary American media it's always plane or car. Judging by the first sentence in your post, I'm assuming train travel is not common there?  

36 minutes ago, Siimo van der fietspad said:

Bicycle, so long as there is good cycle infrastructure.

I'm not surprised :D

21 hours ago, 𝓁𝔬v𝕖Łу said:

I picked fly before I read all the options. I've only flown on one trip but I really enjoyed it.

I've never travelled by plane, and it seems to that most times I read people's opinions it's complainng about lack of space, long wait, etc. What was it that you found enjoyable?

• Like 2
a little annihilation
1 hour ago, Piotrek said:

Yay, train gang :D we're leading in the poll.

The way I see it, whenever travel is depicted in contemporary American media it's always plane or car. Judging by the first sentence in your post, I'm assuming train travel is not common there?  

I'm not surprised :D

I've never travelled by plane, and it seems to that most times I read people's opinions it's complainng about lack of space, long wait, etc. What was it that you found enjoyable?

Just for context we went from Eugene to Burbank, then from Orange County to Phoenix back to Eugene.

Really nice temperature despite how many people there are in such a small space. For me the experience of flying is just exhilarating. Everyone is really nice. I felt that it felt spacious despite the lack of room.

There was a problem so we were stuck in Phoenix and left a few hours late and it was in the middle of the night so for people who weren't from Oregon they had to find hotels since the Eugene airport wasn't open by the time we got there. For me it was fun but it's something that stresses some people out I guess.

• Like 1

Walk or bike for short distances, train for long. (I voted train because I just like trains and I'm assuming this is aimed more at longer-distance travel.)

• Like 2
SpaceDustbin

Train all the way. The European night train network is finally starting up again (after being out-priced by cheap plane tickets), so hopefully I can go on trips again that way without changing trains 8 times in 6 hours 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Piotrek said:

I think a good amount of freight is shipped by train, but passenger service can be quite limited depending on what part of the country. There seems to be good service in the whole DC-New York City corridor, and some places around there. On the west coast there are some good north-south routes, so it might be a good option for going between Seattle/Portland/Los Angeles or Los Angeles/San Diego, for example. But there are many places you just "can't get there from here" by train. Buses are more common for people who want long distance travel and can't or won't drive or fly, but I hate bus travel (for many reasons, you're usually crowded into cramped spaces with other people for long periods of time, you have limited ability to get up and move around, there might not even be a restroom, I can't read on a bus (or car) or I get car-sick). Yeah, most people fly if they are going any distance, assuming they can afford it and want to get somewhere quickly. Road trips or family vacations where people drive for days are also more common. Train travel seems to show up more in old movies, not something "modern" Americans are prone to do as much, I guess. For various reasons.

I chose "bike," since I really only bike or walk.

I like the idea of travelling by train, but there aren't any in my area.

• Like 2

One thing that surprised me when I grew older is that a lot of people have never been on a plane before. I used to travel around a lot on planes when I was younger, so I always thought it was normal lol.

• Like 2
On 3/4/2022 at 12:02 PM, Mackenzie Holiday said:

What’s your favorite way to travel from point A to point B?

Train: I have a loo, viewing carriages, food, water. For long trips only though. For short distances, I prefer to walk.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Calliers said:

One thing that surprised me when I grew older is that a lot of people have never been on a plane before. I used to travel around a lot on planes when I was younger, so I always thought it was normal lol.

Oh yea, I've only been on a plane a few times. Many of my friends are so used to it.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Oh yea, I've only been on a plane a few times. Many of my friends are so used to it.

I  -hate- travelling by plane. That's how much I've done it.

• Like 1

100% trains*.

Flying is convenience, but I just hate it. I would absolutely kill for a train from San Diego - Los Angeles - San Francisco/Oakland (and Portland, Seattle, maybe Vegas. Nevermind, there is no reason to go to Vegas).

Short distance, I'll walk or bike if possible (rare around here, though I usually am happy to park fairly far away and walk).

* Fun story. I had a breakup after a 5 year relationship (the first time I realized I just wasn't into romance or sex, and was just trying to make it work. We agreed we would be better off just staying friends, and pursuing our own things). I was living in Virginia, and needed to get back to California. Instead of flying, I booked a 4 day trip with a cabin by train with stops in Chicago and New Mexico (no major city, just a stop). It was a very relaxing, contemplative trip that was very good for my mental health, just processing, journaling, staring out the bubble car at the country. It cost about the same as a plane ticket, and was one of my better decisions.

• Like 1