AVEN PAMPHLETS

Brodertun

What kinds of photos should we use?  

1. 1.

• Only real life member photos
    • Try to use member photos, but if there aren't enough diverse, good quality images stock photos are okay
    • Stock photos are fine, just as long as they aren't put next to quotes
    • only stock photos - they look more professional

Does anyone have qualms with using some professional stock photos in the design of aven pamphelets - we'd still only use real member photos in the quotes/members section/

Yes. Stock photos = Nonreality.

Short sweet opinion from me on this one.

Ditto.

o/t, anyone remember that asexual relationships website a while back, with the CREEPY stock photography?

Yes. Stock photos = Nonreality.

Short sweet opinion from me on this one.

Especially since we have enough trouble convincing people we exist as it is.

Yep. I forget where that went to. Oh well, I didn't like the front page either!

o/t, anyone remember that asexual relationships website a while back, with the CREEPY stock photography?

I think I have an idea what you mean by "stock photos" are, but could someone just clarify it for me?

But if they are what I'm imagining them to be then I agree with everyone else.

I think I have an idea what you mean by "stock photos" are, but could someone just clarify it for me?

But if they are what I'm imagining them to be then I agree with everyone else.

Stock photos are usually royalty-free licensable pictures you can purchase for a one-time fee and use indefinitely without having to pay royalties every time. They're professional or semi-professional images, and tend to look pretty generic as they're trying to sell them to anyone from advertisers to news publications to record labels.

Yeah, I don't think stock photos would be good. As others have said above me, we want to convince them that we actually exist, and we need to do that by showing them real people :)

I picked up a pamphlet at uni today. ITs about a golf course, but it uses real people - different angles and lighting, but still produces an overall visually appealing image. Its colorful and bright, but not hard to read - I'm going to try and copy the layout.

Live R Perfect

Real people are preferable but only if we can get well-lit, in-focus, well-posed, high-resolution photos of them all.

thoughts:

1) we must have some AVENites who are photographers or photography students, or who have friends who are, to get good pictures

3) there must be places folks could go to get good pictures of themselves (though they'd have to discuss rights with the photographer)

2) we must have some AVENites who are graphic designers or graphic design students

4) we have a little money now, right?

Thanks for the explanation spinneret.

I don't see how stock photos would be any more diverse than member photos, and they'd probably be of the same people.

oops---no, stock photos wouldn't be us at all! They're like clip-art, there are stock photo libraries and archives you get them from.

SpirallingSnowy

i have a 5.1 megapixel olympus camera, but besides me and Kez i dont know any other Sydney AVENites. if i can organise a meet or something then i might be able to, but at this point getting Kez in one before she goes might be difficult. I'll see what i can do!

oops---no, stock photos wouldn't be us at all! They're like clip-art, there are stock photo libraries and archives you get them from.

Well, that's just silly then. What's the point of having the photos in there if they don't even mean anything.

I can vote now though.

I actually wonder if photos are even necessary... It seems like it would be easier to go without them, and since it's an information pamphlet primarily, maybe it'd be best to just go with a cool layout and good information.

Live R Perfect

I think photos are always a good idea on pamphlets. They help to humanise the topic and engage the potential readers' attention, especially if the people pictured are 'aesthetically pleasing' (hey, don't shoot the messenger - it's the truth!). Images also help to break up the columns of text into more managable, less daunting, bite-sized chunks.

I understand your point, liver. I guess I just tend to cringe when looking at happy smiling people who are trying to sell me an idea. ;)

Live R Perfect

Well they don't necessarily have to be happy smiley people, as such. They could be photos of people engaged in other activities apart from smiling ;) Just as long as the photos are well taken and the people in them aren't going to scare people away.

SpirallingSnowy

that sounds good LiveR.......perhaps at some of the next meets we can take some pics of people that arnt standing looking at the camera?

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of wonder why we would need stock photos at all. The pictures in the pamphlet-thread in the Announcement forum look pretty appropriate and handsome. I cant really imagine how much more professional the pictures are supposed to look like...

There's gotta be some other college-age AVENites who still have some senior pics from high school. Those are professionally done.

if so we most li,kely wouldn't be able to use them. Most professional photographers, prevent you from using their photos elsewhere. I know I can't legally" make any copies of my senior pictures.

There's gotta be some other college-age AVENites who still have some senior pics from high school. Those are professionally done.

if so we most li,kely wouldn't be able to use them. Most professional photographers, prevent you from using their photos elsewhere. I know I can't legally" make any copies of my senior pictures.

Oh. Crap. That's right.

Again, aren't a lot of our photographees college students? I know I've got several friends who are in photography, and would be happy to take unlicensed pictures in exchange for lunch. Other AVENites must have access to good student or amateur photographers as well.

Same for design, I know we've got some people on AVEN who are actually in design and could help make the end product look really polished.

Archived