Ace characters in media!

Arodash

37 minutes ago, lemon_lime said:

Oh that makes sense! I only watched a few seasons and I knew he eventually had sex so I didn’t know if it was ever explained. 

It wasn’t to my knowledge, but there is one point where he tells Amy he has feelings for her and assures her he’s getting to point where they could be intimate. He also said he enjoyed kissing and sex. There was one point where he was drunk and slapped her bum too (which she loved). I think he is attracted to Amy at this point, but probably wasn’t for a long time.

actualcakebytheocean

Jughead from the Archie Comics! In the original comics, he doesn't have any interest in dating and his one true love is food, but he's not canonically confirmed as ace. But in the comic series by Chip Zdarsky he's canon ace! 

5 hours ago, actualcakebytheocean said:

Jughead from the Archie Comics! In the original comics, he doesn't have any interest in dating and his one true love is food, but he's not canonically confirmed as ace. But in the comic series by Chip Zdarsky he's canon ace! 

But I think they backed off on it. That's the only other asexual reference that I'm aware besides the article about asexuality I read about back in '05.

Are there any Star Trek fans here, and do you think Odo was Ace? I think he may have been, because he only had sex twice on the show, and didn't seem too interested in sex overall. He wanted the great link but accepted human forms of intimacy as a poor substitute. He had a strong platonic love for Kira that turned into romance but no other relationships. He also didn't technically have a gender but depicted himself as male due to being raised by a male scientist.

Also where would you put Spock on the Ace spectrum? He was not interested except once every seven years if I remember right. 

On 9/3/2019 at 11:13 AM, Arodash said:

When I first read the Metro 2033 series I thought Artyom came off very Ace.... and then in 2035 I come to find out he married another ranger named Anya

They made that into a whole series? 😮

17 minutes ago, Anommamous said:

They made that into a whole series? 😮

Dimitri wrote 2 other books and is working on a 4th, but he also recruited a TON of indie writers to write books set in the universe, they havent been translated yet from Ukraineian or Russian 

1 minute ago, Arodash said:

Dimitri wrote 2 other books and is working on a 4th, but he also recruited a TON of indie writers to write books set in the universe, they havent been translated yet from Ukraineian or Russian 

Whaaaaat :D Now I have to reread Metro 2033 and find the other books!

1 minute ago, Anommamous said:

Whaaaaat :D Now I have to reread Metro 2033 and find the other books!

Metro 2034 explores Hunter and Khan makes an appearance

Metro 2035 picks up 2 years after Artyum joins the rangers of polis. Addicted to proving the world outside the metro isnt dead

maybeimamazed

I headcanon Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter), Will Byers (Stranger Things) and Luke Skywalker (Star Wars) as aroace.

Fraggle Underdark

@DarkStormyKnight You mentioned not liking the Bojack Horseman episode where Todd meets his girlfriend's hypersexualized family. I can see that but I wanted to mention an interesting take I read on that episode: the hypersexualization of that family flips the normal script of asexuality because rather than being an alien weirdo, Todd (and his girlfriend) are the characters most allosexual viewers would relate to there. It helps put allosexual people into that position of feeling "yuck, what is with this obsession" and "okay, I think I can see some of what you mean by not wanting any part of this". Or to throw in another Bojack reference, "that's too much, man!"

Love this thread!

Well, I have a friend who's obsessed with Bojack and, reading that the only character from a tv series 100% canonically confirmed as ace character that came up in this thread so far is from that show, I might just give it a watch. I also know it's a good series, so I was already considering it, this gives me more motivation to watch it.

I'm a lot into anime and I seriously hate the shonen tropes with the same old sexual gags.

Stuff like the "accidental touch of boobs from a guy who ends up being accused of being a pervert" and stuff like that.

In that regard, although he's definitely not asexual, I really like Kazuma from Konosuba, as he broke the cliche by being unapologetic and not giving a damn lol.

There's a comic on Webtoons called 'The Four of Them' where one of the characters (Marti) is looking like she's probably ace.

There's a separate topic for it, but STAR WARS now has a canonically Ace character, and that's great.

https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/189155-first-star-wars-canonically-ace-character

DarkStormyKnight
14 hours ago, fragglerock said:

@DarkStormyKnight You mentioned not liking the Bojack Horseman episode where Todd meets his girlfriend's hypersexualized family. I can see that but I wanted to mention an interesting take I read on that episode: the hypersexualization of that family flips the normal script of asexuality because rather than being an alien weirdo, Todd (and his girlfriend) are the characters most allosexual viewers would relate to there. It helps put allosexual people into that position of feeling "yuck, what is with this obsession" and "okay, I think I can see some of what you mean by not wanting any part of this". Or to throw in another Bojack reference, "that's too much, man!"

I'll be honest, that reading crossed my mind as well as I was watching, and I'm willing to get that that's what the writers were going for with that episode. But I don't know, I think that comparing the asexuality of Todd and his gf to specifically her family and her coming out to her family just brings it into a touchy area, possibly I would have liked that reading better if it was a comparison between friends? Because it brings up legitimate fears for many people. And just the lack of addressing the fact that asexual people CAN have sex anyways seemed insensitive to me.

But if you didn't mind the episode, that's cool too! I am in general super happy with their portrayal of Todd, that's my only complaint.

Mooshroom8512

Lee, the main character from the book That’s Not What Happened by Kody Keplinger.

AngelofMusic997

So far I have agreed with a lot of the comments so far (ex. Todd (Bojack Horseman), Jughead (Archie Comics (original/2015))

I would, however, like to pop in here and say that I've found a few new/to-be-released books that have cannon ace characters as either main or secondary-main characters! "Tarnished Are the Stars" (Rosiee Thor) [Aro/Ace secondary-main character] and "Beyond the Black Door" (A.M. Strickland). [Ace main character]

But as far as headcannons go? Eighth Doctor in Doctor Who (played by Paul McGann) and Charlie Weasley are both people that I headcannon as ace. :)

oystercrackers

Reyna (the one from Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus) is canonically aroace! Quote from the newest book, The Tyrant's Tomb:

"Everybody was always trying to ship me with somebody. Thalia. Jason. Gwen. Even Frank. Oh, you’d be perfect together! That’s who you need! But I was never really sure if I wanted that, or if I just felt like I was supposed to want it. People, well-meaning, would be like, Oh, you poor thing. You deserve somebody in your life. Date him. Date her. Date whoever. Find your soul mate."

and another quote with resolution: (it's not particularly spoilery, but just in case!)

Spoiler

"I don’t need another person to heal my heart. I don’t need a partner...at least, not until and unless I’m ready on my own terms. I don’t need to be force-shipped with anyone or wear anybody else’s label. For the first time in a long time, I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders."

Tyrant's Tomb is a fun read, would recommend! Reyna's realization of her identity forms a cool character arc throughout the book :)

On 9/12/2019 at 9:35 PM, a fancy fish said:

If you think of fusion like that, new new fusion from the movie is super weird

Not all fusions are romantic dude and I never said they were

Fraggle Underdark

@DarkStormyKnight I must admit it's been a long time since I've watched those episodes (over a year?). So I remember a few things but I'm also going off articles I read about it recently. FWIW one of them mentioned that they talk about asexuals having sex in a scene where Todd and his gf meet Emily and her firefighter boyfriend at a restaurant. And at some point Emily tells Todd she read that some asexuals are alright with sex anyway and asks if he's that type but he isn't. So thankfully it sounds like there was some mention of that in the show.

I'm a sucker for books about aces.

Clariel, but that was mentioned before 

Felicity from The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (and she's actually the main character in the second one, The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy). She's a canon ace (it's pretty obvious, though it's not stated in the terms we use today considering it's set in the 17th century). Both books are full of queers :)

Also Eliza, from Eliza and her Monsters. From memory the author is ace? 

That's all I can think of for the moment but I know there's more!!

Fraggle Underdark

Not canonically ace but Motoko Kusanagi, the protagonist of Ghost in the Shell, appears to be ace in the movies and the Arise series (not the original manga and not quite asexual in the Stand Alone Complex series). Probably aro as well. Her coworker and friend Batou either has romantic or strong platonic love for her and she seems to feel platonic affection back but in the movies there is no hint of her having sexual or romantic feelings. She seems to be happy about living alone.

For a long time I avoided watching the film because the cover I'd seen showed her with intense cleavage and I figured it was one of those creepily sexual animes. But I got around to watching it and despite some nudity (in scenes where it just feels clinical) there's nothing sexual about the film.

TMI warning the 2nd film's plot revolves around sex robots and she's not present for most of it. But they treat the sex robots in a remarkably non-sexual way and the other main characters in the show don't display sexuality either and most don't display romance. Batou seems to live happily with just a dog.

TheRavenclaw2
On August 4, 2019 at 4:15 AM, Firefly8 said:

Charlie Weasley because I don't know of anything bad about him and he works with dragons for a living. 

Yep. I totally think Charlie is ace. His only interest is dragons.

Jughead, of course. The comics are awesome in showing just how much sex and romance are everywhere and how our boy doesn’t need a girl to save the world.

And I know he isn’t human, but Michael from The Good Place? He certainly loves his friends, but he strikes me as aroace just by how he isn’t interested and by how he never addresses it. I mean, literally every character on the show is given their own romance except for him.

Billy Bones from Black Sails.

Never has a love interest and is generally entirely bemused by all of his crewmates insisting on the importance of visiting brothels and having a "fuck tent" in their camp. It's not confirmed canon but since Black Sails is so great generally for LGBT+ representation (mostly without labelling anything), I am confident Billy is canon ace/possibly aroace. Which is pretty awesome for a show about 18th Century pirates!

18 minutes ago, sailor said:

And I know he isn’t human, but Michael from The Good Place? He certainly loves his friends, but he strikes me as aroace just by how he isn’t interested and by how he never addresses it. I mean, literally every character on the show is given their own romance except for him.

I hadn't  even considered Michael but now you've said it, I love it!!!

On 8/31/2019 at 3:39 AM, I'm No One said:

Sherlock Holmes, particularly as he is portrayed in the original books. I also think that Sir Galahad from Arthurian legend was asexual

I love Galahad!

4 hours ago, sailor said:

Jughead, of course. The comics are awesome in showing just how much sex and romance are everywhere and how our boy doesn’t need a girl to save the world.

Definitely Michael!

There is a major companion character (the first one you meet, actually) in The Outer Worlds is is a romantic asexual. I haven't gotten very far in that plot, but their relationship started. The best part (for me) was that one of the dialog options talking to her when she reveals her asexuality is basically "I am that way, too", which I clicked on in record time. So far, they have done a really good job with the character and representation. They don't make a huge deal out of it, but it is one of her concerns. They also have pretty good dialog options in general, you can be supportive or dismissive or aggressive or whatever. I'm happy.

Needless to say, I'm going to keep this character in my party the entire time.

Spoiler

parv.jpg

Archived