If You Could Travel Through Time, What Period Would You Visit? Why?

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

I'd visit somewhere in the future, say, the year 2100. I would just love to see what people and society would be like. 

InDefenseOfPOMO

The 1970s in the U.S.

That decade fascinates me. It seems like it is when the lifestyles, attitudes, expectations, etc. that we have now in the U.S. were formed.

blunose2772

I've always had an interest in the World War II era so probably then

If you can travel to the future, then that is clearly a win.  Think of the great ideas and technology you could bring back with you - but of course that might change that future. 

Travel to the past (just to watch, not to change) is easier to think about. The number 1 think I want to see is what the great lines of standing stones in Brittany   https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnac_stones   were used for.  There are lots and lots of them representing an enormous amount of effort and no one knows what they were for.  (I"ve seen them - they are really amazing)

The 1980s. Most things were much better-music, tv shows, movies, sports, culture. Although one thing that is better now is the internet because that made it possible for AVEN. :)

EmotionalAndroid
1 hour ago, blunose2772 said:

I've always had an interest in the World War II era so probably then

Same. Or basically any time between 1900 and 1950. The early 20th century is my favorite.

A part of me wants to spend a few days keeping an eye on the cave where Jesus was buried.  Either answer would be extremely interesting.

If you get to change history, bribing the Roman soldiers to let him go would be interesting as well.  

Aravis Tarkheena

Probably Venice in the 1700's.  I'd love to see a concert by Vivaldi's students :)

bare_trees

My answer depends on whether you can interact with others or alter the timeline in any way.

If I could actually interact with others, I would want to go back a few years to be with my cat who passed away a couple of years ago, and get to play with her again.  

If there was no danger of interacting with anyone or anything that could hurt me or others, I'd choose the future to see how things pan out.  Idk if that would help me make better decisions in the present, but I suppose there's a chance it would.

11 hours ago, InDefenseOfPOMO said:

The 1970s in the U.S.

That decade fascinates me. It seems like it is when the lifestyles, attitudes, expectations, etc. that we have now in the U.S. were formed.

I've been there. It wasn't so great. :P 

10 hours ago, acematt said:

The 1980s. Most things were much better-music, tv shows, movies, sports, culture.

Been there, too. Also not so great. :P 

Certainly not worth going back to for me. :lol: 

If there were no danger and I could just observe I guess I would choose to go back to a time when there were dinosaurs so I could see how they really looked and sounded. Like their scales, feathers, etc.; colorings and patterns, etc.; calls and such.

Celyn: The Lutening
9 hours ago, Aravis Tarkheena said:

Probably Venice in the 1700's.  I'd love to see a concert by Vivaldi's students :)

Nah, for going back and listening to the masters of classical music, I'd go back to 18th C Vienna.

Grumpy Alien

I’m somewhat obsessed with the 40s and WWII so:

Bletchley Park 1941-1945

London during the blitz

Britain mid to late 1940s

Germany 1930s

Europe mid to late 1940s

Then also:

Ancient Egypt

Medieval Britain

Imperial Japan

Renaissance Italy

Pre-colonization Americas

USSR 1980s

The distant future

I’d definitely go back and meet Hieronymus Bosch! :D

And I’d love to have bants with Chaucer. What a legend. 

17 hours ago, The Angel of Eternity said:

I'd visit somewhere in the future, say, the year 2100. I would just love to see what people and society would be like. 

Take something to be able to breath the air and float on.

2 hours ago, andreas1033 said:

I would want to go back and stop my conception.

2 hours ago, andreas1033 said:

I would want to go back and stop my conception.

Sneak up on the car and yell, "cops, get out of here".

17 hours ago, InDefenseOfPOMO said:

The 1970s in the U.S.

Groovy.

Crazycrazycultist

I'd go back in time and tell Hitler to kill himself. Did it work?

Also, I'd go back in time and bring a musician or band that my family likes to the present so they can perform. Or, take a picture of myself with the musician or band, then go back to the present to show my family so they can be jealous of me!

27 minutes ago, Crazycrazycultist said:

I'd go back in time and tell Hitler to kill himself. Did it work?

Also, I'd go back in time and bring a musician or band that my family likes to the present so they can perform. Or, take a picture of myself with the musician or band, then go back to the present to show my family so they can be jealous of me!

Sorry, you killed the other guy who was pretty bad who started a war that killed a few million people and he confiscated a lot of property for Jews.  He was really nasty so you killed him.   Unfortunately that left a power vacuum that Adolph filled....

Crazycrazycultist
1 minute ago, uhtred said:

Sorry, you killed the other guy who was pretty bad who started a war that killed a few million people and he confiscated a lot of property for Jews.  He was really nasty so you killed him.   Unfortunately that left a power vacuum that Adolph filled....

Not again! I thought I had that fixed!

4 minutes ago, Crazycrazycultist said:

Not again! I thought I had that fixed!

This time it will work. I'm sure of it.  (we won't be able to have this discussion in the radioactive world that results form a nuclear WWIII because there was no WW2 to teach peopel how horrible nukes were.     3 billion dead, and the remaining living at stone age tech. 

Better try one more time.....  (I'm sure that's what the Dinosaurs said about 70 million years ago....)

Crazycrazycultist
5 minutes ago, uhtred said:

This time it will work. I'm sure of it.  (we won't be able to have this discussion in the radioactive world that results form a nuclear WWIII because there was no WW2 to teach peopel how horrible nukes were.     3 billion dead, and the remaining living at stone age tech. 

Better try one more time.....  (I'm sure that's what the Dinosaurs said about 70 million years ago....)

Dang, now I want you visit the Dinosaurs!

Crazycrazycultist
4 hours ago, Morgan123 said:

I’d definitely go back and meet Hieronymus Bosch! :D

And I’d love to have bants with Chaucer. What a legend. 

Bosch would love the Old Paintings And Butt Music thread!

5 minutes ago, Crazycrazycultist said:

Dang, now I want you visit the Dinosaurs!

Yup, that's because the Trilobites screwed up their attempt to change history in the lat Permian.......

If you think about it, if time travel technology exists it will get used and the universe will keep changing until it is never developed. 

Crazycrazycultist
43 minutes ago, uhtred said:

Yup, that's because the Trilobites screwed up their attempt to change history in the lat Permian.......

If you think about it, if time travel technology exists it will get used and the universe will keep changing until it is never developed. 

Never thought of it that way!

I'd go back in time to see the school festivals 5th grades put on at my old school.

FindingTheta

I would travel to the Cretaceous period, find a cave, then start carving nonsensical yet ordered petroglyphs that are associated with familiar formulas and equations found in nuclear engineering. Then I'll carve out what will look like a giant robot of doom with a humanoid form  destroying the dinosaurs, and hastily scribble an unfinished warning that will contain how many years it will remain dormant until it re-activates. The last thing it'll mention will be a series of dots and lines which suggests the year 2025.

Archived