Anyone got LGBTQAI+ book recommendations?

There are super basic recommendations so you've probably read these — but I remember when I was first coming out I was really obsessed with David Levithan and in particular really loved "Two Boys Kissing". It was just super sweet and engaging and soothed my teenage soul, haha. (These recs are mostly YA btw.)

"Every Day" was also pretty cool because of its concept as a romance between a girl and someone who wakes up in a different body every day. Since Levithan is such a strong LGBT author it's great how he explores that idea in a totally chill woke way.

There's also "Will Grayson, Will Grayson" and "Carry On", which I also read when I was about fifteen and don't really remember as being that good but honestly when it comes to queer fiction I take what I can get. "Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda" was super fun, though, and I binged it in a night.

It's kind of sad but a majority of the time I feel more connected to narratives with gay guys in them as opposed to lesbians just because there's such a scarcity of queer female fiction that I enjoy/relate to and it sucks a lot. Where are my fellow gay ladies! I started reading "The Miseducation of Cameron Post" recently, though, which I've heard they've recently made into a movie. Currently it's a bit slow but I'm hoping it'll pick up!

If you're not looking for YA and something a bit more serious, it's not specifically focused around an LGBT narrative or anything, but I'm obsessed with David Sedaris' books of anecdotes like "Me Talk Pretty One Day" and "Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls". I grew up listening to him on This American Life and his hilarious storytelling + sardonic wit and his anecdotes about growing up as a gay kid + antics with his husband changed my life honestly. I have a lot of sentimental value attached to his books, haha.

If you have any good recs specifically about/by/for queer women I'd love to hear them!

LadyWallflower

I haven't really read many recently that I would recommend. They all felt very surface-level, and I wanted more depth. I very recently read The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee. It's YA, which I don't read a lot of, but it was a fun little historical romp. Don't read it if you are in the mood for something serious. Read it if you need a break. The main character is bisexual, and his sister is Ace. There is also The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, which is also historical fiction, and a very good one, based off of Patroclus and Achilles from Homer's Iliad. Patroclus and Achilles have a relationship.

Off the top of my head: "Carol" by Patricia Highsmith - loved it. And "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" by Benjamin Alire Sáenz. The latter didn't meet my high expectations, but I do recommend it.

LoyalandTrue

I second Carry On! It's a great book, as are many of the others mentioned. (Gentleman's Guide ftw!)
Try looking at goodreads, especially on the "lists" section, there's usually tons listed there, if you're looking for recommendations.
I thought The Summer of Jordi Perez was an awesome book, as was Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda's sequel ,Leah on the Offbeat! 

The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula Le Guin. It's a fascinating piece of speculative fiction about a world without gender as we understand it.

• 3 weeks later...

If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo. It's about a trans teenager who is living stealth. She ends up dating a guy, but is afraid to come out to him. Just a warning, there's a part near the end that could be very uncomfortable to read.

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray. It's about a bunch of teenage beauty pageant contestants whose plane crashes on an island. I don't want to spoil anything, but there is so much more in the plot than just that. There is one openly gay character, but again, trying to avoid spoilers, there are more LGBT characters. It's a hilarious book. It's the only book I've ever heard of that actually has commercial breaks for fictional products. There's also a lot of footnotes which are funny. This is easily one of my all-time favorite books because it's so unique and weird, and so much different from other books I've read by Libba Bray.

Blaiddmelyn

How to be a normal person by TJ Klune - it's pretty funny if you like the style of humour and the central love story is between two men and features an ace character. 

I quite liked The Miseducation of Cameron PostLies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley; and Perfect Rhythm by Jae (which has an ace love interest, and also features a QPR). 

To Each Their Own

I just got done reading Prayers For Bobby. It’s a great book about how a son’s suicide completely turned a mother around. She’s now in Congress. The story is incredible!

Its also been made into a movie, if you’d rather.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've currently just finished reading Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin and it is my favorite book now.

Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli is a great book too.

I'm currently reading The Upside of Unrequited which is written by the same author as Simon.

Purple Pumpkin

My favorite book of all time is Radio Silence by Alice Oseman. The main character is bisexual, and there are also a demisexual and gay side characters. It's a pretty simple and straightforward book, but I connected a lot with the main character, which is why I like it so much. 

I also really like Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire. I've only read the first book in the series, but it has an asexual protagonist, and also a trans male character. 

Aria Ravenclaw

All three books written by Merry Shannon.  If you're interested in lesbian fantasy/adventure.  There was Branded Ann by her it's a pirate novel.  The Sword of the Guardian which was lots of fun to read and then its sequel Prayers of a Handmaiden

A few of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet are:

I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin

Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden

Captive Prince by CS Pacat

The Foxhole Court by Nora Sakavic

The Lightning-Struck Heart by TJ Klune (or anything by Klune, he is hilarious and includes a lot of different representations)

The Wicker King by K. Ancrum

Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley

In Other Lands by Sarah Reed Brennan

Okay, I’ll stop now.  I could go on forever 😂

• 1 month later...
secretspaceace

Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin

Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee

I haven’t read it, but the Magnus Chase series by Rick Riordan apparently has a lot of good rep in it.

I've seen quite a few mentions of Simon Vs. but it's one of my favorites, so I'd definitely recommend that.

Anything by Shaun David Hutchinson, particularly At The Edge Of The Universe and We Are The Ants.

The Apocalypse Of Elena Mendoza (also by Shaun David Hutchinson) features a bi main character in a relationship with another girl, as well as an asexual best friend.

It's not technically considered lgbt+ fiction, but The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater. Two of the main characters are queer (one bi, one gay) and it's a great series.

Luftschlosseule

Girl meets Boy - Ali Smith
Carmilla - Sheridan Le Fanu (gothic, vampires)

Discworld - Sir Terry Pratchett (especially Monstrous Regiment, trans issues and human rights)

Orlando - Virginia Woolf

Percy Jackson series, Magnus Chase - Rick Riordan (Middle Grade fantasy and you have to wait till the LGBTQ parts come, but then they're everywhere)

Coraline - Neil Gaiman (creepy children's book)

Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Vaughn (homosexuality vs. english aristocracy)

The Magicians - Lev Grossmann (homosexual character, how to built an image)

The Grace Keepers - Kirsty Logan (mermaids and lesbian relationship)

The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly (homosexual knight in a fairy tale like story)

The Sleeper and the Spindle - Neil Gaiman (picture book)

Those are on the top of my head.

Self-promotion (sorry, but needs must...) Polyamory on Trial by Jude Tresswell . Four gay polyam guys . Background is trafficking - asylum seekers/ Syrian war - and I wasn't intending a story about a polyam relationship to trivialise the background. (I feel really strongly about it.) Several reviews on Goodreads - 3 and 4 star but the comments are more helpful than the star ratings, I think. 

Archived