What is the first thing you notice about someone? (physical)

NerotheReaper

The feature you notice first  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which physical feature do you notice first in a person?

• Nose
    • Eyes
    • Hair
    • Teeth
    • Mouth
    • Other (comment below)

NerotheReaper

I was wondering something, what is the first thing you notice about someone? What do you think it says about you and why do you notice that first? (We are talking about physical features) This might be a strange question for asexuals, but it doesn't have to be sexual in nature. 

Personally, I notice someone's eyes first. It is always the first thing I look at when meeting someone new. To me, it is about getting a feel of someone. Are they a warm and inviting person? Or are they cold? There is the classic saying, about "eyes being the window to the soul". 

So I guess I like being able to try to determine what kind of person someone is, based on an analysis solely based on their eyes. 

Guest Talgo

Eyes mostly. But sometimes bewbs. Is it weird that I still love bewbs even though I have no further interest than to just play with them?

5 minutes ago, NerotheReaper said:

This might be a strange question for asexuals, but it doesn't have to be sexual in nature. 

If the question were sexual in nature, you probably should have included "butt" and "breasts" on the list. I know a fair number of people (they're all heterosexual men) who notice those first, even in people they only have platonic feelings towards.

I notice hair because I really enjoy playing with it.  Mine and other people's.  Also it's a lot more visible than people's eyes from a distance, or if you're not in front of a person.

I notice hair and some facial features first, the more unique, the more likely it would be that I would notice it. But I also notice hands. Rings, shorter nails, nail polish, hangnails, long fingers, callused, neatly manicured, muscular, bracelets, etc. There are so many variations of the same thing. And there are a lot of things you can tell by it. Rings can mean so many things, whether it's a ace ring or a sign of marriage, or even just a fashion statement. Shorter nails may mean a nail biter or personal preference. Nail polish normally is a sign of someone caring how they look and how others see them. I could go on forever with this.

I'd say I typically notice hair and eyes first. I think hair can tell a lot about a person and their style, and in general it just helps me remember them.

I notice their eyes the most when I'm trying to familiarize their face, and I used to look people in the eyes a lot when talking to them. Sadly over time I've become more self conscious and find myself avoiding prolonged eye contact, but I'm working on it.

Hair and mouth are usually what I notice first. Hair for their style, mouth because I have slightly damaged hearing so I focus on reading them as much as possible. 

I notice the shape that people's bodies are in first

globetrotter85

Spoiler

Call me shallow but the first thing I usually notice about someone is their personal hygiene! - do they look after their teeth, do they have clean hair, do they smell pleasant...? I don't know what that says about me really, especially since I'm a horse person and usually have sweaty hat hair and smell of manure, goodness knows what I would think of me if I met me in the street 🤣

Smile, too. I'm a positive happy sort of person and I smile a lot so I always notice very quickly if someone is a smiler or not. 

MsKittenFluff

The first thing I notice about a person is how they carry themselves and what type of 'aura/energy' they put out.

Voted other. I don't actually know. I look at people and there's no distinguishing or outstanding features to me. It's just a person and that it's it.

RoseGoesToYale

I tend to notice eyebrows first, I guess because they're purveyors of emotion. They also seem to frame the rest of the features on the face.

I guess of the list you've given I'd notice what "pops" first. Like, if they have a unique hairstyle, or if they smile a lot - that might be more noticeable. But if I'm directly meeting the person the first thing I'll probably see are their eyes. 

Depends entirely on the person. If they're 6'7", probably their height. If they have a neon green mohawk, probably their hair. If they're 500 lbs, probably their weight. If I'm close enough to them to be able to see facial features in detail and they have a really piercing gaze or a big wide grin, probably their eyes or mouth, respectively.

(I'm not ace, if that's relevant to you.)

My eyes are mostly drawn to the hair first. I usually like noticing that stuff, especially if their hair is unique or really fluffy looking. Well, that or any other distinct characteristic that makes them stand out from the crowd

I'm weird, I don't look at peoples heads really. Unless we're shaking hands. I first notice posture, aura, and voice. For some reason I can immediately tell someone's emotions, and if they are interested in conversation.

i said teeth but i was kinda torn up because i really mean their smile i always can remember a person as soon as they smile

• 3 weeks later...
Celyn: The Lutening

Hair. I like hair. It's the part I appreciate most aesthetically and sensually. It's soft and fluffy and you can play with it and it shows people's style. Long hair is pretty.

Sarah-n-dippity

I tend to notice eyes first as I’m always drawn to them. I like light eyes normally as mine are super dark brown so light ones are way more interesting to me 🙂 

I just think you you can tell a lot about someone from their eyes. I mean if I can’t see their eyes immediately then it’s usually hair next 🙂 

scarletlatitude

Hair, then eyes, probably both at the same time really. 

On 6/22/2018 at 11:16 AM, Sphene said:

eyebrows

^^ word 

Anthracite_Impreza

How do you guys know what you notice first? I haven't got a clue. From a study I read once everyone tends to subconsciously look at the hip area first, regardless of whether that person is a potential partner or not.

Sarah-n-dippity
8 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

How do you guys know what you notice first? I haven't got a clue. From a study I read once everyone tends to subconsciously look at the hip area first, regardless of whether that person is a potential partner or not.

Okay coming from someone working at a scientific publisher this sounds so cool. I want to read this paper

Maybe we just like to think we notice these things first because we notice them consciously first rather than subconsciously? 🤔

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, Sarah-n-dippity said:

Okay coming from someone working at a scientific publisher this sounds so cool. I want to read this paper

Maybe we just like to think we notice these things first because we notice them consciously first rather than subconsciously? 🤔

I had a google but it was at least a year ago and I don't have a clue where I read it >.<

Well it's been proven the subconscious decides before the conscious even knows about it, yet we insist we made the decision...

Facial structure or voice.

Grumpy Alien

Hair. Definitely hair.

Archived