Any ace-friendly sci-fi, fantasy, or mystery books?

girlwonder

I just bookmarked this topic.  So many good choices, it's hard to pick and choose.

I am ashamed of having read the Hobbit, but not read LotR.  I bought LotR and a new copy of the Simarillion on my tax break, but I've yet to get around to reading them.

And I motion reading the Discworld books or anything by Rick Riordan.  I'm not as much of a fan of the Magnus Chase books, but they're alright.  I also own like half of Pratchett's Discworld corpus and a few of his other books, I think that says everything. :)

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2018 at 2:20 AM, FictoVore. said:

You have to be so darned careful with the older stuff though, some of the ones from around the 60's were horrendously sexual in a sexist way against women. Like for one I listened to, they were in this futuristic army type thing going to a different planet to fight some aliens. All good so far. Men and women were even in the army, great!! equality!!.. wait, wait... no Y_Y ..Okay, so the only women allowed in the army had to be promiscuous and hot, because the women soldiers had to serve every male soldier sexually even though they also had to do all the other hard training etc. So they were doing this horrendously difficult physical training during the day (and fighting in battles etc) and have to have sex with every man (sometimes even all at once) every night, and had to be willing and happy about that or they weren't allowed in the army!! There were only 3 women and like 28 guys, WTF??? This wasn't even an erotic fiction or anything, it was literally just a sci fi novel about a battle on an alien planet 😧 That's not the only time I've come across that sort of thing in 60s sci fi books so I'm super careful with them now!!! 😧

Was that The Forever War by Joe Haldeman?

Also I want to suggest All of Brandon Sanderson's books, but especially The Stormlight Archive (light romance, no sex). And the Confederation Series by Tanya Huff (she also writes other books with some LGBTQAI+ characters). The there is lightly implied sex in the 5th/6th book if you get that far.

I also want to put a should out to The Expanse by James S A Corey. While the first book did have some (in my opinion) tasteless sex, the characters rapidly develop and grow and the sex becomes almost non existent.  And the relationships are positive (unlike what I know about Game of Thrones). And...

Tamara Pierce, Susan Dennard, McGuire, Seanan (mostly because the main Character is ace! not so much for plot), Kristen Britain (until the the 5th book), and Orson Scott Card.

The Only Ace In The Deck

The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne (I love Captain Nemo, he's really interesting), and the Wildwood series (3 books) by Colin Meloy

23 hours ago, The Only Ace In The Deck said:

The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne (I love Captain Nemo, he's really interesting), and the Wildwood series (3 books) by Colin Meloy

Now that you say it, a lot of Verne books are very ace friendly. I've read over 30 and most are like that.

I'm just super happy that someone recommended the Gentleman Bastard series, I am in love with those books! It does have bits of romance of course but that's not the focus and plus I'm all for thief books!

Propper Techie

first off I love how we're classing books as "older stuff" it's as though you're 16 and trying to sneak into a movie with an '18' rating 😛 

book wise, Stephen King flits over most genres and if he does mention the R word it's normally only a paragraph or 1/2 page maximum!

James Patterson again flits through most genres and does kids books called "maximum" series or something like that. (as they're teenagers two have a sort of 'will they/wont they' but it's never 'explained')

Peter May, writes mystery based up in Scotland (the details he does about the locations are amazing!) 100% recommend.

Tess Gerrisen, Kathie Rechies and Pat Cornwell write crime, thriller, si-fi, medical types - books arnt R and S too much other than going down the line of "she was hanging naked but semi alive" etc.

Rechies ended up with the TV series "Bones" based on her books and Cornwell got "Risolli and Isles" based on one of her series of books.

Tom Harris wrote the quartet of Hannibal's ('Red Dragon,' 'Silence of the lambs,' 'Hannibal' and 'Hannibal Rising') HR is a prequel to Dragon, but has to be read last! Again not R and S, more horror, crime based.

Hunter Thompson did/wrote 'Fear and loathing in Las Vegas,' that's not R and S (bar a one nighter and again it's only a paragraph long, if that) more crime and drugs! He also did 'Rum Diary' same lines. As is Irvine Welsh's 'Trainspotting' (and yes I sing/hum The Jam's "Town called malice" - from film - each time I read it!)

Ken Casey wrote 'One Flew over Cucckoo nest' that's crime, psych, thriller, absolutely no R in!

Ant Burgess did 'Clockwork Orange' that's fantasy and crime, and sort of 'torture?'

Chuck Palhunik (point for spelling that first time!) did 'Fight Club' book centres MORE on his life than the film - Ed Norton, Pitt and Helena Bonham carter in what I personally think is her best role that isn't a Tim Burton film!

Currently reading "American Psycho" Bret Elliss = reading it for the horror/crime side but skipping through about 30% of it when he goes into detail about R and/or S! 

have/did read GoT til mid book 3 then lost place/bookmark and was like "not starting it AGAIN.." It's R and S near damn every page - just add in swords ;)

if we're doing 'kid' books, Potter's  'saga' has the usual 'Will they won't they' in, but doesn't do detail! And 'The Hunger Games' trilogy by Suzanne Collins is a decent read, it's sifi and mystery etc and it has a 'will they won't they' thing but it's never 'explored!'

non are scifi etc but could try "Animal farm" by  George Orwell, "To kill a mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "Butterfly lion" or " War horse" Michael Morpurgo - but any of his are amazing! 

Oh and try Edgar Allan Poe as well (I've only got a book of short stories/poems here - 'Tell tale heart,' 'Black cat' and 'The raven' amongst others are in it!) 

HogwartsExpress.srsn

The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy   by Mackenzi Lee 

Archived