On Asexuality

Amma

Hi. My name's Amma and I'm 14 years old. Recently, I've begun to identify as asexual. Previously, I'd always assumed I was straight because I had what I thought was a crush on this kid in Elementary school. Looking back, I'm sure it was simply aesthetic; I thought he looked cute, imagined some floating cartoon hearts around his face, and BAM! I was attracted to boys. Now I've realized it's not that simple. I've never experienced sexual attraction in all 14 years of my being.  I've always wondered what the big deal was about boys being "sexy," especially at this year's Freshman retreat filled with the giggling girls of my cabin gushing about the resident hottie in our class. Because at my high school, people are pretty open and accepting of LGBTQ+ people, I'm constantly surrounded by students coming out to each other. This made me be unafraid myself of unraveling the secrets of my own sexuality. One of my close friends came out to me as lesbian, and that's when I really started to think about the possibility of myself not being straight as a rod. Coming out to my friends made me much more confident. For some reason, in a conversation, my aforementioned lesbian friend texted in a group chat "I speak lesbian." We were very open to each other about our sexualities, so I decided to reply, "I speak ace........" and was greeted by a barrage of thumbs-up emojis and 'congratulations' GIFs. I consider myself very fortunate in that I always had quite high self-esteem, so when I realized I was about as straight as a bendy straw, I never thought I was broken, or diseased, as others in our community have been so unfortunate as to think of themselves. If any of y'all asexy beasts are thinking those thoughts about yourself, let me tell you now, don't. It's not worth it. You're perfect just the way you are, and there are millions of others out there just like you. Don't let anyone tell you you're less than amazing 'cause you rock! Love y'all. 

Welcome! :) Congratulations on discovering your sexuality, and thank you for the words of encouragement.

Image result for lovely pictures of cake

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Archived