Still learning definitions, but probably demiromantic asexual

GayleMG

Or do you say asexual demiromantic? I have never really wanted to start a sexual relationship, but I do get romantic feelings for people. I always need lots of time to know someone and become comfortable with them before the feelings develop. That's why dating has always sucked for me. People want to move too fast, besides which the question of when to have sex is always there. For me, the answer is never, but having a close platonic relationship would be nice. It takes another person like me to make that happen though. I have to learn a lot more before I can decide what to write in my profile to describe myself. As I've been studying definitions, demiromantic jumped out at me, but not demisexual. When I do develop romantic feelings, it's for the opposite sex, so hetero asexual demiromantic? Does that make sense?

I don't think there's any rule on this, but people would probably write demiromantic asexual because "demiromantic" modifies "asexual" by saying that while asexual, you still experience romantic attraction in some circumstances. It also makes sense to say demi-heteroromantic, since demiromantic is a modification of a romantic orientation such as heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual. The terminology can be a mouthful, so instead you might want to just say that you're demiromantic and attracted to men. I would add that a great resource for these sorts of terminology questions is Julie Sondra Decker's book The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality.

Thanks for the tip about the book! I think demiromantic asexual works. 

Archived