School Uniforms

j a c k

I go to a catholic high school in Australia and the uniform is really strict.

There are even boys socks and girl socks.

There are some pants girls are allowed to wear (these pants are also different from the boys pants) but we (biological females) are only allowed to wear the pants during the winter and then skirts have to be worn by girls and the boys wear shorts in the summer.

I just needed to rant, I think how severely gendered the uniforms are is kind of stupid. I mean gendered socks?? really??

I don't know where i was going with this I just needed to get it out of my system.

I'm not against school uniforms, but I am against the gendering of these uniforms. At my school for example, girls can have earrings, but boys can't. I am a teacher, and I purposely ignored this rule for about a month because I thought it was unfair, but then my principal told me to be diligent with it, so I had to go along with it. But, seriously, gendered socks?! That's ridiculous.

The only uniform school I ever went to (my junior high) was all girls...and we had pants, a skort, and a kilt to choose from for bottoms, and a plethera of tops, to choose from.

The stupidest case of 'gender specific' bullshit I've ever seen is Kinder eggs. For those of you who don't know, kinder eggs are a thin shell of white and milk chocolate around a large plastic capsule, inside of which is a small toy. The eggs are for ages three and up, and usually an adult is needed to put the small toy together. They're nifty little stamps, or tops, or figurines, or cars. Sometimes they teach you real world facts about stuff too. They are for young children, five to ten range. Recently, they've started coming out with ones in pink wrappers, specifically for girls, that have things like bracelets, rings, and little tiny dolls.

...do we REALLY need to be gender segregating our FIVE YEAR OLD'S tiny little prize toys?? Really? The 'boys' eggs, what used to be the only eggs, haven't changed, they still have the same general type of toy as always, and girls always seemed to enjoy their little parachute monsters and fuzzy animal figures. Why did we need 'kinder eggs for girls'? The ones we had ALREADY catered to EVERYONE.

Autumn Sunrise

Scottthespy, I've always had my suspicions about those Kinder Surprise eggs, and you've confirmed my worst fears :twisted: I thought this was the age of removing the gendering from toys!

Hattiie, at least you have boys at your catholic school. I was taught by nuns (admittedly this was quite a long time ago) and I'm sure they thought boys were the devil incarnate, so one half of the human race was a complete mystery to most of us - or at least, those who didn't have any brothers. Our uniform was old-fashioned and uncomfortable, and quite seriously, I believe most of the nuns thought it was a sin for girls to wear pants. (Luckily, by the time I was a teen, my mother at least grudgingly accepted them.) And my best friend at uni, who had been to a state high school, had to wear brown knickers to match her brown tunic, and there were knicker inspections :o

Having said all that, I completely agree with you about the pointlessness of most gendered clothing, whether uniform or otherwise. All it needs, realistically, is to be comfortable, durable and appropriate to the activities you do. Often this does mean pants, and if you find boys' pants more comfortable than girls' pants, why not? At least they usually have decent pockets, to say nothing of lasting longer. And as for gendered socks . . . what the ???

Lightning Blue Ray

We have a school uniform too, and the girls have a skirt, but thankfully, we are allowed to wear the gender neutral PE attire every day if we choose to, or even the art form T-shirt. For exams, girls must wear skirts and boys must wear long pants, but it's not so bad since I can wear pants almost every day for the whole school year if I want to.

Autumn Sunrise

I'm intrigued by the idea of girls having to wear skirts for exams - do they get a different version of the exam papers as well? ;) :lol:

Archived