the sex+gender census needs your vote (poll)

AVEN #1 fan

sex+gender census (poll)  

9 members have voted

1. 1. so were you born?

• AMAB/DMAB
    • AFAB/DFAB
    • i don't want to answer
    • forced AMAB
    • forced AFAB
  2. 2. are you a?

• cisgirl
    • cisguy
    • transguy (FtM/F2M)
    • transgirl (MtF/M2F)
    • nonbinary trans (what's your gender?)
    • nonbinary (what's your gender?)
    • Unsure
  3. 3. are you intersex?

• yes
    • no
    • unsure
    • i don't want to answer
  4. 4. are you dysphoric?

• yes
    • no
    • sometimes
    • unsure
  5. 5. are you an eunuch or nullo?

• yes, i'm an eunuch
    • no
    • i don't want to answer
    • i wanna be an eunuch
    • i'm in the closet
    • i wanna be a nullo
    • i wanna be a nullo
  6. 6. are you a transsexual?

• yes
    • no
    • i don't want to answer
    • i'm not transitioning yet
    • i'm in the closet
  7. 7. are you androgynous?

• yes
    • no
    • unsure
    • i'm in the closet
  8. 8. are you a crossdresser?

• yes
    • no
    • i'm in the closet
  9. 9. are you a tranvestite?

• yes
    • no
    • i'm in the closet
  10. 10. are you a drag king/drag queen?

• yes
    • no
    • i'm in the closet

This poll is closed to new votes

Sleepy Skeleton

What's the difference between a cross-dresser and a transvestite?

Not much of a difference. I guess cross-dressing is more of an action and tranvestite is more of an identity (Someone who purposely wears the clothes meant for the opposite gender, yet may or may not ID as transgender). But in my experience neither terms are used regularly among trans and LGBT people.

Now, if it were FA(F/M)AB / CA(F/M)AB (Forcibly/ Coercively) , that usually refers to intersex people who were given involuntary genital surgery after birth to make them conform to the binary. Such as someone with ambiguous genitals forcibly given a vaginoplasty as an infant. It's not uncommon for the doctor's actions "in the child's best interest" and the person's actual gender to be out of alignment, i.e. an intersex person whose gender is male but they were FAFAB because they were born with ambiguous genitals/ no genitalia at all.

Wow, and here I thought that meant the person was just extra angry about having an assigned gender. This makes a lot more sense.

AVEN #1 fan

Thanks, urban mystic.

I'm still unsure about the meaning of AMAB/DMAB and AFAB/DFAB.

Also, I have no clear idea what 'binary/non binary' means.

Binary (males, females and transgenders)

Nonbinary (any other gender)

Afab(ulous), tranguy, no, yes, no, I'm not transitioning yet due to health issues, yes I guess, yes (leggings are comfy for yoga, it's a matter of convenience), no, no.

AlwaysADreamer

My gender is generally up in the air. Not something I have really figured out just yet.

MidnightKaito

So, um. I voted. But gender is rather more complicated for me. Like seriously complicated. I really don't care about what pronouns I'm called by. This really has more to do with the fact that while I'm born female my native language don't actually have pronouns in the sense that most languages do, especially the English one. We literally have no word for "he" or "she" unless talking about biology like literally biology in what you present as physically. I've been called by both binary pronouns by my parents simply due to them not getting pronouns in English. For the longest time I thought pronoun and physical gender were the same. To this day I still get a bit confused...

Plectrophenax

>AMAB

Though I will say that I'm not too fond of that phrasing. I take 'male' and 'female' to be purely descriptive terms of physical features with no further implications whatsoever. So I wouldn't consider my gender to be 'assigned' as little as I do my status as a human. [Now if AMAB meant that the doctors predicted some unrelated nonsense like a strong interest in extreme sports, I would go right for the FMAB formulation.]

For intersex people this question is a lot more complicated though.

[Almost went for "I don't want to answer" because I find this aspect of 'me' to be utterly irrelevant in pretty much every respect. But this survey is asking for the biological state of my body and is not likely to give this response any more import than that, so there it is.]

>Unsure

I have no idea what gender is supposed to entail 'objectively' and I do not identify with it ['subjectively'] in the first place anyway. So I go by agender if I must use a word, but for the most part simply don't answer the question unless I'm positive about the intended meanings of the terminology involved.

I'm not saying non-binary because the phrasing is loaded, but I assume that would be the technically correct response.

Intersex?

>No

I assume this refers to 'intersex' in the biological sense.

Dysphoria?

>Unsure

I do not have dysphoria but I also do not strongly identify with any aspect of my body, including its gender. Bar being used to it by now, I would not care if my body switched gender.

Depending on whether 'dysphoria' means merely a sense of alienation from ones body or whether it means a sense of connection to a specific other kind of body, "sometimes" would have been a possible response as well [provided it's the prior and not the latter].

Eunuch/Nullo?

>No

I had to look this up. I don't really see the point [even when making no use of something, there is no need to get rid of it fully]. I suppose it is interesting when taken as something like an anthropological/political statement.

Transsexual?

>No

Assuming you mean transitioning or wanting to transition, thus the negation following from the previous responses.

Androgynous?

>Yes

Assuming you mean it in the sense of "not fitting into traditional gender norms" [in which case I am probably radically so, since I'm prone to consider androgyny to be more common in free societies than its opposite]. In terms of mannerisms I have been associated with this term as well, though infrequently. Physically not at all, though I also make no effort towards it.

Crossdresser?

>No

If I were more interested in physical appearances [including mine] I probably would be, though. Not necessarily as a means of personal expression, but as a means of social defiance.

Transvestite?

>No

See above. Though if the word 'transvestite' is implied to include forms of dysphora then the reply would remain negative even if I were inclined to crossdressing.

Drag Queen?

>No

In the context of acting I find this to be fairly interesting. But given that I don't adhere to gendered norms and generalised associations, I take the idea of drag to be counterproductive and, for that reason, would not want to engage in said activity even if I were so inclined.

cavalier080854

I'm 61 and full on dictionary definition asexual. I couldn't answer a single question without using google. To may acronyms and terms I have no idea what they are. Yet another poll on non pure asexual lives. I'm losing faith with the polls on this site. I'm not American but British and very few people are interested in this on this side of the Atlantic.

• 1 year later...

@AVEN #1 fan

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived