Tired of "straight as a board"

AVEN #1 fan

AVEN #1 fan

Srly, nobody is extremely hetero as of being heterosexual, heteroromantic, heterosensual, heteroaesthetic and hetero-whatever.

People should also stop assuming heterosexuality as the "only right thing", only bc of reproduction. This argument is sooo old and invalid bc:

1st - an MTF lesbian can totally impregnant a lesbian and and an gay can totally impregnant an FTM gay.

2nd - Androgynous exist and can reproduce as long as their partners produce sex cells opposed to theirs.

3rd - not all cis persons can reproduce or even have sex by default.

I don't rly think humans can be extremely straight, nor meant to be born as straight. I just think it's wrong to put "hetero" orientations on top, all orientations are equally valid and beautiful.

What do you think?

I also wonder, what's so wrong with, for example, a woman finding another woman pretty and sexy.

Also, there's nothing wrong with polygamy.

CosineTheCat

I think the main reason why hetero is shows as normally the first of the sexualities or romantic orientations is because of simple statistics.

To quote a study that was done in Australia (that didn't include asexuality as an option in the study) that was done in 2012-2013, they found that 96.5% of the Australian population identified as heterosexual. With 1.9% of men identifying as gay and 1.2% or women identifying as lesbian. Bisexuals accounted for 1.3% of the male population and 2.2% of the female population.1

I have to agree with you that all orientations are beautiful and that all should be treated equal, but sheer statistics seems to be working against many.

1. Smith, A. M.; Rissel, C. E.; Richters, J; Grulich, A. E.; De Visser, R. O. (2003). "Sex in Australia: Sexual identity, sexual attraction and sexual experience among a representative sample of adults". Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health 27 (2): 138–45.

I know plenty of "extremely hetero" people. They don't consider themselves better than anyone of any other orientation. It's usually a tiny aspect of them, no more important than their hair colour.

I don't think it's wrong for hetero and cis to be considered the default, what people naturally think. It's more common and they will almost always be correct. They just need to be open to being corrected and accepting that any other orientation is just as good and valid. Any argument revolving reproduction is stupid. Not everyone even wants to have kids, and not everyone who can have kids should have kids. And who cares of two guys and two girls can't have kids together? Maybe they want a kid and will adopt or find a surrogate, maybe they don't want kids, maybe it's no one's business. I've meant plenty of women who want kids, but are absolutely repulsed by the idea of being pregnant. People just need to leave each other alone and let them be happy.

Uh, interesting you call all orientations equally valid and beautiful but state you don't believe 'extremely straight' people really exist...

Anthracite_Impreza

I don't think the term "straight as a board" is usually used to imply straight people are better, it's literally just describing someone who doesn't get same sex attractions, ever. They do exist, as surely as "raging homosexuals".

I don't think the term "straight as a board" is usually used to imply straight people are better, it's literally just describing someone who doesn't get same sex attractions, ever. They do exist, as surely as "raging homosexuals".

Also, my grandfather is a carpenter. I have helped him do some renovations around my house. Boards are not straight. We have to go through a ton of boards at the local lumber yard before we find any that are straight enough. And even those are warped a little.

Sorry for the slightly off topic mini-rant, but, that phrase has always bugged me.

Anthracite_Impreza

Also, my grandfather is a carpenter. I have helped him do some renovations around my house. Boards are not straight. We have to go through a ton of boards at the local lumber yard before we find any that are straight enough. And even those are warped a little.

Sorry for the slightly off topic mini-rant, but, that phrase has always bugged me.

That too, my dad does woodwork :P

Boards are not straight. We have to go through a ton of boards at the local lumber yard before we find any that are straight enough. And even those are warped a little.

Implies that straight as a board has to be taken with a grain of salt? - It would be my 1st thought. - I didn't encounter the idiom before.

Archived