Do Video Games Make People Violent?

WoodwindWhistler

WoodwindWhistler
Edit: A horrifying expose on the sourcing for the materials for electronics: http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/gadgets-are-still-fueling-the-rebellion-in-congo

Here's a fairly balanced article explaining how the military extensively uses video games to recruit and train (and, from a certain way of looking at it, propagandize):

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/10/playing-war-how-the-military-uses-video-games/280486/
And now, onto the general topic at hand:

I love how people always jump to the immediate and obvious straw man argument- do causal, violent video games create killers?

Well no. Duh.

The issue really at stake here is, do they make us better or worse human beings on the whole? Comparatively, the subconscious is probably measuring one's actions to the environment it sees. I remember reading studies that explore the question of how "real" our brains think situations and characters are. So, it's not that someone kills people- because of course that would be wrong to anyone with a modicum of sense. But it's that the brain- subtly- is comparing that abysmally LOW STANDARD- not killing people- to what it sees, and at some level determining that one is already a moral person as a result. Which, as we know in the range of human experience, someone can not be violent- never hit anyone- and still cause social damage to other people. I'll bet that for most people, after spending 3 hours blowing people's heads off, they aren't going to feel as much twinge for saying something nasty to someone, or not fulfilling a promise. Because people should just tough it out or something.

This is somewhat conjecture up to this point, I'll admit, but it's a lot better than approaching this hamfistedly, without nuance.

And could anyone truthfully claim that irritability from staying up late or repeating a level several times doesn't leak out into other interactions?

Let's forget for the moment that money and time you blow on a world that doesn't exist could be used to help others less fortunate- who need "saving" out here in reality- and hey, if everyone went home well fed that wouldn't be a consideration- Many are not even convinced it doesn't have negative effects on those immediately around, including corrosive addict-like behaviors borne from similar neuropathways (because of course by design they are out to hook you- or your wallet, really) and disengagement from others close to the gamer who don't share their obsession. Let's forget for the moment that there are useful, "fun," "entertaining" and interesting skills or knowledge you could be acquiring, including those feigned by the video games, such as self defense, building things, and outdoor skills!

Psychology suggests that dwelling on and indulging anger increases it in a positive feedback cycle, not "releases" it. Your brain likes patterns, and laying down whatever pathways you tread.

For all the silly "lag makes people violent" comments so often seen in video game threads:

Blowing a fuse over something as utterly insignificant as pixels is actually, literally bad for your health, both physical and mental. Stress hormones, no matter what source they come from, suppress your immune system and contribute to all sorts of chronic conditions. So you could be eating right, exercising, and playing video games, and it would still somewhat counteract those good things you were doing, with nothing to do with sitting down. If you can be chill and play, or try to aim to, and not so be hung up on it, that's excellent. And probably out of the norm.

Here's another issue:
http://latining.tumblr.com/post/141567276944/tabletop-gaming-has-a-white-male-terrorism-problem

Might this be "because they've internalized "might makes right" from their Warhammer 40k sessions," to quote a FB user.
People try to justify this by saying "Oh, there are jerks in every group of people."
No, I say it's more likely guys who feel their masculinity doesn't measure up to the ridiculous standard of society ("nerds") are more prone to latch onto, exactly as they said, power narratives and seize the chance to, psychologically speaking, engage in classic "displacement"- taking out their frustration on those weaker.

Electronics' blue light's disruption of your circadian rhythm: http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side

Oh and look. ""The crucial finding from this study is that people spending in excess of four hours a day watching TV were at high risk of having a future cardiovascular event." That's a fairly conservative number for really dedicated gamers/watchers.

http://www.voanews.com/content/couch-potatoes-video-gamers-face-high-risk-of-stroke-heart-attack-113605719/171346.html

There are increasing stories about families that "detox" from technology, and/or take regular, scheduled and long breaks from it, and come out stronger and happier.

Of course, it's totally your free choice, just like anything else. But not fully owning up to the effects, and the potentials lost- trying to claim video games are "completely harmless" - is naive at best.

Per Wikipedia:

"A common theory is that playing violent video games increases aggression in young people. Various studies claim to support this hypothesis.[5][22][23][24][25][26][27][28][29][30][31] Other studies find no link.[32][33][34][35][36][37][38][39][40][41][42] Other sources have found that aggression is increased immediately after playing a violent video game."

While it may be naive to ignore the possible negative effects of video games, you are just as naive to ignore the benefits:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201502/cognitive-benefits-playing-video-games

DanaWasHere100

Lol. I would've killed so many people by now. smh. God of War, fortunately, has not changed me for the worse.

Let's forget for the moment that money and time you blow on a world that doesn't exist could be used to help others less fortunate- who need "saving" out here in reality-

Pretty much everyone has products or hobbies or whatever that they don't necessarily need that they splurge on in favor of donating to the needy. If you're going to single out video games you need to single out every single one of those other things, too.

Secondly, how do you know that this existence isn't any more "make-believe" than the video games that I play? Or anything else that could be considered a game, for that matter?

Let's forget for the moment that there are useful, "fun," "entertaining" and interesting skills or knowledge you could be acquiring, including those feigned by the video games, such as self defense, building things, and outdoor skills!

I have learned a lot about vocabulary, religion, history, economics, etc. from video gaming, and I have a lot more fun learning it that way than from actual blood, sweat, and tears from trying to do it all in "reality" which means I actually retain it a lot better

Psychology suggests that dwelling on and indulging anger increases it in a positive feedback cycle, not "releases" it. Your brain likes patterns, and laying down whatever pathways you tread.

Pretty sure people are way too different in this regard to be able to attach a blanket statement to it.

Some people are simply not "zen" enough to avoid anger and some of these folks need a healthier way of releasing it, lest it come out in a situation where it will do some actual damage.

Blowing a fuse over something as utterly insignificant as pixels is actually, literally bad for your health, both physical and mental.

Significance is up to the individual. I see things like sports teams, coaches, and even just spectators/fans express anger at a lost game, and to me there is absolutely zero difference. They are passionate about their game; I am passionate about mine. Simple as that.

That's not to say that it's necessarily good for any of them/us to stress, but nor do I think video games are something that should be singled out here.

Granted, I grew up with stuff like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Streets of Rage 2, and Mortal Kombat, but I'm not very violent. In fact, violent games make a great stress reliever for me. It gives me a chance to punch something...without actually punching something. It's nothing more than a coping mechanism.

The Terrible Travis

i feel like i've just finished reading some sort of anti-video game propaganda article

Hehe if video game make people make better / worse human beings I am either Crystal Dragon Jesus or Demogorgon incarnate, depending on positive / negative leanings :P

Back on topic, I'm subjectively inclined to believe that video games influence someone in a violent capacity as much as an other source media or outside influence. If someone is vulnerable to such stimuli I think regardless of origin, it will lend strength toward pushing them in that direction. Working off subjective memory, rock music has been blamed for violence, movies too. Even my favourite past-time of Pen & Paper RPG's has been declared to cause violence and satanism (praise be to Asmodeus, Duke of Baator).

I've a nagging suspicion that we'll never have a definitive answer on the subject. So the best I can see is not to go for a knee-jerk reaction and utilise our empathy to help / support those whom are vulnerable and likely to draw negatively from video games.

PJ the danger to society

Thank you.... I thought I was going to have to crack some skulls over this it would of been the second ignorant post I've seen over the last few days -...-

Regarding the research. It will be instructive to see which studies were funded or sponsored by which interested body. It's not uncommon for research supporting the sponsors views to be published whereas that which refutes their views to be quietly suppressed, which is why I view it with a sceptical eye.

However, my opinion is that, like most things, the vast majority can play these games with no psycho-social consequences, whilst a few people will be adversely affected. These few get the headlines, mainly because they provide stories which attract people to the media in which they're published. " Kid kills after playing a violent game " is going to get more attention than " Two million children have played this game with no ill effects "

Takes cynical hat off

Anthracite_Impreza

Err, no, at least not for mentally sound people. For me, getting aggression out in non-real forms is cathartic; by the time I'm done ramming cars out of the way on Forza or Cars, slaughtering a civilisation on Total War or extincting whole species on Spore, I'm far too tired to go out killing anyone ;)

Maybe violence inspires video games instead of the other way around.

One problem with many of the experiments that find an increase in aggression and a decrease in sympathy and generosity immediately after playing violent video games is, those studies don't take into account the fact that these games are competitive by nature, prompting a "me vs them" attitude and all sorts of temporary mood-altering adrenaline and hormone responses, rather than a "I hate society and want to murder people" mentality.

I'd be interested to see a study into whether sport has a similar effect on people - especially whether heavily team-based (cooperative) sport has a different effect to solo sport e.g. racing vs crew rowing. To my knowledge, this question has been overlooked academically - probably because there has never been a "this new and evil thing called 'sport' is going to ruin our children!" moral panic.

I've played Grand Theft Auto a number of times...I'd even sneak into my friend's house to play it when I was little, since obviously my mother wouldn't buy the game for me. I've also played Army of Two, Call of Duty, Halo, and...well, you get the drift. So I guess I should be in jail right now? :lol: First person shooter and beat-em-up games are entertaining, but of course everything needs to be done in moderation.

I'd say if you're mentally stable (for the most part) and you have control over your actions and, uh, common sense I really don't see how video games makes a person violent.

From what I remember from a essay I did about this, the answer was a resounding no.

Many people who claim this base their ideas on the hypodermic needle/magic bullet theory, which is a theory that messages/actions can be conveyed and the audience will unquestioningly adhere to the messages and replicate these actions. It was developed from the mass hysteria of the public when War of the Worlds was broadcast. It was tested in the election of Roosevelt, but it proved to be wholly ineffectual as people drew their decisions from multiple sources. As such, this theory has been made obsolete for years. It relies on having an entirely passive audience, but the human race are definitely not passive, especially not in the 21st century. For me, the hypodermic needle theory does exist to an extent, but nowhere near what is needed to validate the "video games cause violence" statement. I argued that hypodermic needle is more of an symptom of dictatorship, for example in North Korea where they only have one source of information throughout their entire lives as a normality, so they're likely to believe it. Kim Jong-il tells his people he was born in a sacred cave under a shooting star with a double rainbow and caused the changing of the season, and they believe him, because they have no other source of information.

For example, the BBC news comes on and David Cameron tells you unemployment's fallen in his government. A lot of people would just accept that, but many of us are now active and finding other sources to validate him. Yes, unemployment has fallen, but that's because the unemployed have been put in zero hour contracts and marked as "working", and others receive benefits through "self-employment". The fact we're more actively seeking to find these sources is a complete contradiction of the hypodermic needle. Certainly, some people are more passive than others due to mental conditions, lack of education etc. but the majority of the population are active thinkers.

There's no doubt that video games cause emotional response, including anger, but so do self-service checkout machines. When I see that a killer has been going around killing people chanting, 'UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA!' then I'll rethink my position :P

Maybe violence inspires video games instead of the other way around.

Just like all other forms of media. That blockbuster movie, that highly rated thriller novel, that really cutting edge television series...Humans are creatures with the capacity to consume media, of varying kinds, for leisure purposes.

Now there was actually a documentary concerning this very topic on Horizon not too long ago. The first half was looking at the 'maybe yes' but the second half was recognising the benefits. Was a good fair account.

Still. If we're going to go with the 'it's not real ergo doesn't matter', like people have said above: So is the majority of your entertainment or hobbies. Stories, Films...it's all made up. Yet people need stories, because that's how people get out of the dead ends some of them get sucked into. How we explore notions and concepts that may remain forever beyond our personal ability to experience.

Have you heard of Child's Play, set up by the people at Penny Arcade? An initiative where people get together and do what they can to make things better for kids in hospitals and domestic violence shelters around the world, through games. That's just one quick example too.

But games aren't, as a whole, violent. They don't have to be. There's so many games out there that are either puzzle matching, or basically a 'Walking simulator' or 'Dating Simulator' or the like, or literally games designed to educate people...and then there's the fact that games that are violent are still nonetheless very different to actual death.

makes that particular point very firmly in this video, and I must warn any who follow the link: GRAPHIC CONTENT OF ACTUAL HUMAN DEATH.

And, as I've said above...the same holds true for any graphic TV show, Film or Thriller novel. It's violent, it's grotesque...but it ain't real. Nobody was hurt, hell, there's a special badge for no animals being harmed in any of these productions (barring books but again, they're not real).

If you're going to start this argument, then the only way you can be truly consistent is if you cut yourself from any and all violence in any media you consume. It's not just games that do it, and it's woefully naive and childish I'm afraid to act like it's this great big terrible change that's come along in the last few decades.

Fact is? Games are an evolutionary element, as animals with intelligence will play to learn, evidenced across multiple species such as big cats, elephants, dolphins, corvids, primates...the list is pretty long. Humans have so far been the only ones in the unique position to take this natural capacity and turn it into a multi-million industry that can grip people like the great novels and films we've had up to now. To allow people to make statements about factors of reality that just wouldn't work in any other medium quite the same way due to the interactive element.

The jury might be inconclusive on 'does it necessarily' make people more violent, but the fact remains that, like any medium...it can happen to be in the 'things they enjoyed' list of any depraved individual who does go out to harm people. I believe there's an account of someone quoting Stephen King before killing people...does that therefore mean Stephen King's horror novels makes people violent?

For now, all people have is a Contingent 'maybe' which, on average, doesn't matter in the long run as most people are, surprisingly, sane and sensible human beings who can tell the difference between real and imagined harm. Even great paintings of gloried warfare could be considered 'encouraging' depending who you ask.

Put it this way.

I have always been passive, and would never play 3d simulator version games, that use violence. I just cannot play those games, i hate it.

So why do i hate it, and everyone at my age and male would be playing those games. I am 40, so my gen grew up through the ages of computers, and consoles.

I played those games in 2d, as they had no real reality to them, but i simply cannot play them in 3d.

I played gta when it was a 2d game, and meant nout. But when it went 3d simulator game, i never play, and just cannot. So i know the reason is probably because i am passive, and my brain does not like violence, and does not respond to it. I never watch violent sports either.

So i most definitely believe playing 3d simulator violence is bad for you, but in a number of ways. The effects probably depends on what sort of person you are, so there are many variables.

WoodwindWhistler

While it may be naive to ignore the possible negative effects of video games, you are just as naive to ignore the benefits:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201502/cognitive-benefits-playing-video-games

And, I'm supposed to believe that those benefits would not be achieved by, say, casual team sports, or something more beneficial?

There have been developed many educational video games that kids love. I'm not saying they can't be a good tool, I'm criticizing the materialistic industry and the black-and-white treatment of the issue.

Let's forget for the moment that money and time you blow on a world that doesn't exist could be used to help others less fortunate- who need "saving" out here in reality-
Let's forget for the moment that there are useful, "fun," "entertaining" and interesting skills or knowledge you could be acquiring, including those feigned by the video games, such as self defense, building things, and outdoor skills!
Blowing a fuse over something as utterly insignificant as pixels is actually, literally bad for your health, both physical and mental.

"Pretty much everyone has products or hobbies or whatever that they don't necessarily need that they splurge on in favor of donating to the needy. If you're going to single out video games you need to single out every single one of those other things, too.

Secondly, how do you know that this existence isn't any more "make-believe" than the video games that I play? Or anything else that could be considered a game, for that matter?"

Oh, I do, within reason. Don't worry.

Again, I just have to point out the- pretty much cruel- irony of the majority of plots of games being about saving the world when the actual world needs saving. At least with other things, there's not such an obvious friction between what the goal is and what could be. Other hobbies don't claim to include this. Yeah, it makes it particularly annoying. But I'm not singling it out otherwise.

Not going to get sucked into that philosophical debate. If you can't see the problem with equating pixels to actually suffering people, no point in engaging you on this. Few things make me angrier than "this world maybe doesn't exist" used as a lazy excuse to ignore suffering.

I have learned a lot about vocabulary, religion, history, economics, etc. from video gaming, and I have a lot more fun learning it that way than from actual blood, sweat, and tears from trying to do it all in "reality" which means I actually retain it a lot better
I wonder why you don't like learning in the usual way. Could it be because we have a sucky education system and cultural conditioning that makes people associate learning with drudgery? But even discounting that, what if we focused on making games whose purpose *was* actually to teach? The maybe 5% of learning you get out of games vs. the actual knowledge out here . . . hm . . . such a convincing argument . . .

"Pretty sure people are way too different in this regard to be able to attach a blanket statement to it.

Some people are simply not "zen" enough to avoid anger and some of these folks need a healthier way of releasing it, lest it come out in a situation where it will do some actual damage."

People are not "zen" or "not." The whole point of zen is to become more zen through effort. And thereby preserve your life and your wellbeing.

You know another way to work off frustration? Exercise. Dancing. Walking. Martial arts, even. (for that last one, ya know, one of those things that video games are, a lot of the time, a pale imitation of)

Significance is up to the individual. I see things like sports teams, coaches, and even just spectators/fans express anger at a lost game, and to me there is absolutely zero difference. They are passionate about their game; I am passionate about mine. Simple as that.

That's not to say that it's necessarily good for any of them/us to stress, but nor do I think video games are something that should be singled out here.

You're absolutely right. I regularly tear into professional, money-and-energy-sucking sports, too. One of my favorite memes:

4f8d58421f2d9b76fb60d49638c06420.jpg

Again, I just have to point out the- pretty much cruel- irony of the majority of plots of games being about saving the world when the actual world needs saving.

Assuming that people feel this is a world worth saving

You know another way to work off frustration? Exercise. Dancing. Walking. Martial arts, even. (for that last one, ya know, one of those things that video games are, a lot of the time, a pale imitation of)

Assuming that any of these work better for other people (for me, I can tell you that they wouldn't)

You're absolutely right. I regularly tear into professional, money-and-energy-sucking sports, too.

I would say you must be a blast to have at parties, but obviously you wouldn't go to any because they'd be such a terrible waste of time when you could be doing things that actually matter instead

Then again, you are taking time here to attempt to single out one particular form of hobby/media/enjoyment when you yourself admit that there are other things that people partake in and react to in similar ways, so I dunno. Quite the enigma.

WoodwindWhistler

Yet people need stories, because that's how people get out of the dead ends some of them get sucked into. How we explore notions and concepts that may remain forever beyond our personal ability to experience.

I'm not really understanding your point here. Can you elaborate a little?

Have you heard of Child's Play, set up by the people at Penny Arcade? An initiative where people get together and do what they can to make things better for kids in hospitals and domestic violence shelters around the world, through games. That's just one quick example too.

I play Half the Sky on Facebook, and I played Games that Give, when it was in operation. Trying to deflect from the vast majority of what gaming is by pointing out a few genuinely good exceptions is not helping your case.

And, as I've said above...the same holds true for any graphic TV show, Film or Thriller novel. It's violent, it's grotesque...but it ain't real. Nobody was hurt, hell, there's a special badge for no animals being harmed in any of these productions (barring books but again, they're not real).

Doesn't matter. Literature and plays have been demonstrated to increase empathy in school kids. Stories have an effect on you that is very real.

If you want to get into the neuroscience of it, try this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+real+is+fantasy+to+the+brain+neuroscience&rlz=1CAACAG_enUS619US619&oq=how+real+is+fantasy+to+the+brain+neuroscience&aqs=chrome..69i57.11156j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

If you're going to start this argument, then the only way you can be truly consistent is if you cut yourself from any and all violence in any media you consume. It's not just games that do it, and it's woefully naive and childish I'm afraid to act like it's this great big terrible change that's come along in the last few decades.

I'm thinking of doing just that. Plenty of people do, actually. There was a documentary about a service that edited out violence from movies so people could watch them without it. They paid a surcharge. Some copyright issues from greedy Hollywood came up and they got squashed.

Violence in media is increasing. Come on. Are you really that oblivious as to miss the shift from Leave it to Beaver to Dexter? We have never had the power to project hyper-real environments, except in the past couple of decades. We're running a huge social experiment.

Some more reading for you:

http://www.apa.org/pi/prevent-violence/resources/tv-violence.aspx

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/1/report-shows-persistence-of-violence-in-prime-time/?page=all

Fact is? Games are an evolutionary element, as animals with intelligence will play to learn, evidenced across multiple species such as big cats, elephants, dolphins, corvids, primates...the list is pretty long.

Oh lol, pulling out the evolution card. Wow. So, the type of game we choose to play doesn't matter? People can play games without screens and wires. Ever been to summer camp? As I've also said, people can also play games that teach.

And since you feel the need to invoke evolution, what part of our evolutionary history primed us to differentiate between stories and reality in a hard and fast manner? And why would we even spend the evolutionary resources to develop such a mentality? Things treated as histories of early and simpler peoples and stories are, in most cases, nearly indistinguishable from each other. Complex and representative language is a relatively new thing, speaking on a geologic timescale.

"Assuming that people feel this is a world worth saving"

Ah. Touche. Your misanthropic cynicism is much more bearable than the original argument.

Assuming that any of these work better for other people (for me, I can tell you that they wouldn't)

Do you know that? Can you really know that, unless you actually tried?

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/exercise-fitness/emotional-benefits-of-exercise.htm

"I would say you must be a blast to have at parties, but obviously you wouldn't go to any because they'd be such a terrible waste of time when you could be doing things that actually matter instead

Then again, you are taking time here to attempt to single out one particular form of hobby/media/enjoyment when you yourself admit that there are other things that people partake in and react to in similar ways, so I dunno. Quite the enigma."

With the parties, you pegged it. :P

I already said I'm not singling it out, per se. I could write an essay on all the things that people spend time and money on while 1 out of 5 children in America don't have enough to eat, but we'd be here all night. There's the violence debate, too, which isn't a question for other hobbies.

Earth Sprite

The research demonstrates a consistent relation between violent video game use and increases in aggressive behavior, aggressive cognitions and aggressive affect, and decreases in prosocial behavior, empathy and sensitivity to aggression.

American Psychological Association 13.8.2015

Sorry for this stream-of-consciousness post. I don't tend to have much time to spend on here nowadays, so even though I have fairly strong opinions on the matter, I can't say I have the time to condense it into a more articulate and concise expression of my views, so please forgive the length and somewhat meandering organization.

Some of this talk of telling people to do something "actually productive" instead of playing video games reminds me of a lot of the "oh, what's your real job" sentiments and condemnations I get when I mention that I'm a musician. When people get really passionate about a topic or pastime, I've found that such topics usually have deeper layers than are immediately perceivable to an outsider. Is the way people obsess over video games really differ that much from how they obsess over sports, Star Trek, dance, creative writing, or discrete mathematics? (Also, why can't people do video games and dance, and volunteer for beach cleanup, and read books, and make music?)

As someone who is very passionate about game as art, I have seen the incredible ways that the interactive element of games can spark profound thought that just aren't possible in other mediums. (That's not to say other mediums can't be just as poignant; they just don't use interactivity to do so.) Shadow of the Colossus in one run made me reflect on my own self-imposed feelings of isolation back in high school; but when I played the game in college, I read the game as a warning about the nature of passion (in my case for music) and the dangers of letting such passion consume you completely at the cost of your well-being. Journey evoked such base feelings of joy in its ending moments that I still cannot articulate even though I can provide a thorough analysis of what makes the game work so well, all while making an anti-social gamer like myself find something truly profound in interacting with another human player. Shin Megami Tensei IV nailed its message of anti-extremism by making the neutral ending the most difficult yet narratively rewarding path while the extremist endings left distinct reasons for the player to be dissatisfied. Games like This War of Mine and Papers Please tend to put you in very difficult hypothetical scenarios that can really weigh on your mind and give you an opportunity for introspection on a topic or aspect of yourself that you simply never considered.

There's something incredible about artistic mediums that come from the synthesis of other mediums, particularly in the way that the whole not only becomes greater than the sum of its parts, but how the whole makes the parts greater. There's a reason why game soundtracks resonate with players and why even simple game narratives can be so poignant and important to their audiences.

Not to mention that there are so many types of games that motivate play for so many different reasons that to condemn all games for the content of a handful of popular genres would be like condemning all film because of the existence of B horror movies or cheesy action flicks. Even condemning an entire genre is far too harsh, as lumping Spec Ops: The Line or Bioshock with something like Call of Duty ignores the reasons why players reach for those specific games as well as the poignant narrative mechanics and social commentaries that make games like Spec Ops and Bioshock so engaging and memorable.

It looks like someone already shared Jim Sterling's video on the matter, and he certainly drives home the way in which many people can compartmentalize and recognize the difference between real and fake violence. Some games need the violence to properly convey their narratives. The original God of War needed the violence to establish Kratos's major character flaws that flesh him out as the protagonist of what is essentially a Greek Tragedy. One of Bioshock's most impactful moments/messages absolutely needed the violence to cement it (vaguely worded because I don't want to go into spoilers). The cognitive dissonance induced in Shadow of the Colossus would be impossible if you didn't have the thrill of taking down each colossus that you suddenly feel so guilty/horrified about simply because of the "victory" theme and defeat animation. The dread you feel in Dark Souls would be moot if the world around you wasn't so hostile and genuinely threatening.

That's not even talking about the cognitive engagement in regards to puzzles and problem-solving, or the creative engagement for more free-form games, or the lessons in cooperation and coordination in multiplayer, or how games sometimes inspire interest in coding or computer science. Not to mention the entire concept of applying game mechanics to real-world activities to make stuff like education genuinely more engaging. They're escaping my mind at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that there were games that resulted in some notable scientific discoveries. (I think one was discovering previously unknown stars and the other I think involved the actions of certain proteins, but these occurred at least a few years ago.)

I don't have the time to really address the nature of the studies about games and violence, though I would be interested in seeing studies about the ways games can positively impact empathy. Video games just happen to be our younger "new and scary" medium that people think is poisoning our youth, though they're not as demonized as they used to be. Honestly, I don't get the condescension towards new mediums that seems pretty much inevitable whenever we develop a new form of entertainment. I wonder what new medium will replace games as the new punching bag in the future.

Do you know that? Can you really know that, unless you actually tried?

Yes, I do, and I can. Exercise does *nothing* for my stress and in some cases just makes it worse, because physical exertion just leaves me more susceptible to negative feelings.

Different strokes for different folks. You can cite whatever sources you like, but if there were things that worked well for everybody (hint: there isn't), the world would be a much happier place than it is.

Is the way people obsess over video games really differ that much from how they obsess over sports, Star Trek, dance, creative writing, or discrete mathematics?

Yes. Dance, creative writing, and maths produce something that people can enjoy, sometimes over hundreds of years. They enrich whole civilizations.

(Also, why can't people do video games and dance, and volunteer for beach cleanup, and read books, and make music?)

But they don't.

(Also, why can't people do video games and dance, and volunteer for beach cleanup, and read books, and make music?)

But they don't.

That's stereotyping gamers. There are several gamer based charities. Some throw LAN parties to raise funds. There are tournaments where portions of the funds go to charity. Some gamers are into sports, dance, etc. Some are writers. Some have bands. Some volunteer. Some play sports. Gamer conventions tend to be quite varied, with people from all walks of life who just happen to share a hobby.

Personally, I play video games a lot. They are fun. They are also a good way to learn things. I had a lot of issues with math, my mom bought us an action computer game where to progress, you had to solve math problems. If you didn't get them in time, your guy fell, pitfall style. It was a much more engaging way to learn math than a book and piece of paper. For presidents, cloud names, etc we had a memory match video game. There are puzzle video games which require use of history, math and problem solving. I learned to type 70+ WPM (useful skill for computer work) through the use of a video game that taught typing. Of course, I like other games as well - Everquest, Smite, Starcraft, etc.

However, that doesn't mean I don't read. I love books. My spouse can't even stand going into a book store with me. And, to keep me in books via purchasing, would cost a fortune (yay free ebooks and subscription models). It also doesn't mean I don't do volunteer work, once my car is fixed, I have an animal shelter picked out I want to volunteer at and I have yarn sitting in a box awaiting my crochet project to finish so I can start making scarves/hats for the homeless shelter.

I'm not sure why you find video games a problem, OP. They can be a teaching tool. Or a fun hobby/diversion. They can also be a negative, if you let them, but so can everything. They are what you make of them. And not all of us gamers are the types to get angry and throw the controller, the ones that are, tend to also react that way to other things IRL. Just like my non-gamer family has small rages over stubbing their toe and such. I don't tend to get angry during a game, if I am finding it stressful, it's usually the people in it and I tend to quit playing with them. I play them to remove stress.

Video games can also be a source of income. At some points in my life, I was playing games that allowed selling of characters/currency/items in them. Sanctioned by the game company. It has paid the bills before ($700 for a single character, wee). ;) And tournament winners can gain rather large sums. And some games are designed around a currency exchange system for RL cash, one such game there are companies inside the game. They split profits. And items can sell for $100,000+. It's a very difficult game to do well in, since you have to form a company and compete with the others. And keep employees.

As for violence, meh. I had to write a paper on that subject in college, outlining the points for and against. The for arguments did not impress me then, nor do they now.

I can't believe people are wasting their time playing video games when there are important issues to solve. They should be wasting their time on AVEN instead.

I can't believe people are wasting their time playing video games when there are important issues to solve. They should be wasting their time on AVEN instead.

Or watching TV. Or hanging out with friends. Or getting drunk. Or (insertnonproductiveactivityhere).

Is the way people obsess over video games really differ that much from how they obsess over sports, Star Trek, dance, creative writing, or discrete mathematics?

Yes. Dance, creative writing, and maths produce something that people can enjoy, sometimes over hundreds of years. They enrich whole civilizations.

But they don't.
Don't be silly Sally, of course they do. You'd be hard-pressed these days to find many people who just don't play video games of one kind or another, even if it's Solitaire on their phone. It's how we relax and escape from the world around us. In the past, fictional literature probably filled that gap in our lives, video games are just a more technologically advanced form of that.

Also, is it so essential for people to be productive all the time? Like every waking minute of the day productive? I see little wrong with spending a couple of hours in the evening playing games instead of say.. Watching TV, or indeed, posting on an internet forum ;)

I would say that being addicted to gaming or literally doing nothing but gaming is a bad idea though. Like it is with anything, spending so much time on one thing that you neglect all others can only have a negative impact on your life and the lives of those around you.

Do they cause people to be more violent? Like others have said, the evidence is inconclusive. That said, having played Fallout over most of my Christmas/New Year break, all I feel like doing is collecting as much junk as possible and building a settlement with it. I had to do a double-take on an oil canister that was lying empty on the floor the other day, because I felt like picking it up and taking it away with me XD

Yes and No, like it has been said before: It depends on the person, some are easy to be influeneced by the violence they see in a videogame while some just enjoy the game and move on.

I have been a frequent gamer myself, I have played almost all of the final fantasy series and the zelda series and despite the fact that some games were a tad bit violent they never really had big influence on my personality or did i ever had the urge to take a sword and kill someone for example so i dont think it is for every single person.

I find it hard to say that violence in games exclusively trigger violent behaviour while on the other hand i remember it was big news when a certain person who shot over 70 students on an island they say that the person in question practiced shooting by playing shooting games.They say he cheered everytime he killed a person as if he was playing a real videogame.

I honestly have to agree that there is no serious evidence but like i said before: It can happen and that completely depends on how much influence a violent game has on a person.

That said, having played Fallout over most of my Christmas/New Year break, all I feel like doing is collecting as much junk as possible and building a settlement with it. I had to do a double-take on an oil canister that was lying empty on the floor the other day, because I felt like picking it up and taking it away with me XD

When Fallout 3 came out and I had spent a whole week playing it all day long, I woke up one morning to Everybody Loves Raymond on TV and thought, "Why are they all acting so normal? Why weren't they affected by the war?"

Just thought I'd share that little anecdote.

Archived