Ace rings

Ennis

1. 1. Do you have an ace ring?

• Yes
    • No
    • Going to
    • I used to
    • Yes, but I keep forgetting to put it on
  2. 2. If yes, how long have you been wearing it?

• a month or less
    • 1-6 months
    • 7-12 months
    • 2-3 years
    • longer
    • N/A
  3. 3. Has anybody you weren't out to ever recognized it as an ace ring (except on AVEN events)?

• No, never
    • Once
    • Twice
    • Three or more times
    • N/A
  4. 4. I don't wear an ace ring because...

• ... nobody would recognize it anyway
    • ... I dislike wearing rings
    • ... I don't belong to the asexual spectrum / still questioning
    • ... I couldn't find one I liked
    • ... I don't want other people to ask what it means
    • ... I'm afraid the ring might eat my finger!
    • Other
    • N/A
    • ...I never heard of it before

This poll is closed to new votes

AnotherWeasley

Just a few questions concerning ace rings. To those who don't know: An ace ring is a black ring on the right middle finger.

If there is an answer missing, please comment. I will add it for you :cake:

I want to get an ace ring, but the only affordable plain black ring I've been able to find is on amazon and I can't order it from there without my parents asking questions and I'm not ready to come out to them. Do you have any idea which shops in Germany sell cheap, plain black rings?

Whoa Nellie

I just recently (within the last few weeks) realized that asexuality is an orientation and that I wasn't the only one who felt that way, which led me here to AVEN. I found a thread about the black rings and knew I needed one, even though I don't normally wear jewelry.

I found a simple ring that I liked online, but when it arrived it didn't look as great and seemed a little too big. Since I don't usually wear rings, it felt really awkward and I thought it would probably fall off. My job is also pretty physical and I worried about it getting damaged easily. I ended up returning it because I couldn't imagine wearing it all the time.

I remember reading a post where a member suggested making a ring out of a cable tie, and I have a whole bunch in my basement, so I decided to give it a shot. The cable tie that I used is only about 1/8" wide, which I think looks good on my hand. It is loose enough that I can slide it off my finger if needed, but tight enough that it won't come off on its own. Plus if it were ever damaged, it would be very cheap to replace. It is a little odd in that the clasp mechanism (for a lack of a better term), is still attached, but I rotate that to between my middle and ring finger on the palm side and I don't even notice it anymore.

If anyone is thinking about getting an ace ring, but not sure enough to spend money on one yet, you may want to give it a go with a cable tie first to see how you feel.

My first try at ringmaking.

Zip ties + hot glue gun.

IJZpTXP.jpg

My first try at ringmaking.

Zip ties + hot glue gun.

IJZpTXP.jpg

Very cool! I may try this with 4 ties and painting the tips in Ace colors. 8)

Postman just came by and brought me newly ordered rings ;3 (nothing special or expensive, just black painted zinc). I think this one is the best (I also have a wider version of this one and a spiral).
And a substantial question regarding rings: which finger should I put it on .-.? Nvm found it xP

7gbbr3w.jpg

cosmosredshift7

I bought my ace ring two years ago, and i've kind of stepped up my ace game by also wearing white, silver, and purple rings; I am the ultra-ace

My answer to the first question would be "Yes" and "I keep forgetting to put it on" I usually always remember to wear it at misc. social gatherings and family events. It's not a proper ring just a rounded rubber o-ring that came in a bulk pack at the hardware store. I have plans to get a good one off amazon I've seen some good options and price ranges. My neighbor already knew some Ace statistics once I told her. (She is part of the LGBT community and goes to pride meetings) It seems that everyone I tell info about being Ace, even if they have a good grasp on it, seems to be temporary and it just fizzles out. You can only be visible for seconds at a time. I believe that the Invisible Man would make for another good Ace symbol. -Dio

ElectricMongoose

I got mine a few weeks ago and haven't taken it off! I really wanted one with Dolphins and I'm very happy with it. x3

nFJld5u.jpg?1

• 4 weeks later...

My main reason for not wearing an ace ring is a matter of placement. I wear a claddagh ring on my right ring finger, so I think if I put one on my middle finger, they would fight.

• 3 weeks later...
GoosePeelings

I'll start wearing one as soon as I actually find one. I never find black rings in shops and I'm too poor to shop online, plus it should be pretty big or it wouldn't fit.

I'd prefer a plain one. I've heard the Aro ring is a white one that comes to the same finger as the Ace ring, is that how it is?

stonehengegirl

I have one now!

I have the smaller one.

99 cents from Ebay, free shipping.

d08d0ca8-2327-4684-a379-ce4c42a64df3.jpg

It rules them all.

CosineTheCat

My "ace ring" is really cheap... I mean It's a black hair elastic that is at the perfect length that I can wrap it around my finger perfectly to make a ring. It also makes up incase I forget to grab a hair elastic. dual purpose.

I would buy a better ring when I have to money to do so. But right now I enjoy my cheap hair elastic ring.

I really really want an ace ring, but I've only recently been finding out more about asexuality. I've asked my parents to buy me one (I'm 13 :p). They said we'd go to find my size sometime soon. Oh dang. They don't even know what it's for. They don't know that I'm asexual. Again, :p

For some years I've toyed on and off with getting a ring that I'll really treasure for years going forward custom engraved with something meaningful to me (not necesssarily ace related, I've only known I was ace a year), and right now I'm seriously thinking of getting a titanium or tungsten ring. Both are often seen plated or anodised black (Titanium can be anodised pretty much any colour you like, including purple if that's your thing).

I looked into the properties of those metals too, for anything that could symbolically relate to asexuality, and was pleasantly surprised - both are pretty much impossible to melt (as are we, you might say....?): Tungsten because it has the highest melt point of all the metals, something daft like 3300°C, Titanium melts at a lower temperature but never in normal atmosphere.

I did Theology at uni and I've had a long interest in the occult, and something that's popped up in both and rubbed off on me is an interest in ancient alphabets / languages like Greek and Hebrew. I'm thinking of getting a condensed version of Matthew 22:30 engraved (in Greek - the benefit being it's not readable to any Tom Dick and Harry) on the ring too: 'Like the angels in Heaven, neither giving nor being given in marriage'.

If it actually happens (I'll need to save and it won't be this month!) you'll see the pics! :)

• 9 months later...
AcesAndChill

Cheetah and I both want to have our own ace rings, but we don't know our middle finger ring size and have yet to find a black ring we like. :(

We are still searching whenever we can and when we get them, we plan to wear them all the time.

~Kabe

Cheetah and I both want to have our own ace rings, but we don't know our middle finger ring size and have yet to find a black ring we like. :(

We are still searching whenever we can and when we get them, we plan to wear them all the time.

~Kabe

Go to your local jeweler. They'll size you without charging for it. If they try to charge you, find another jeweler. They may even be able to get black rings for you.

Rings not permitted at work.

Personally (as inexperienced as I am) I consider them pretty dangerous and annoying too. I guess if I get married I'll have mine tattooed. -i was engaged once and would have been happier without a ring.

I don't have an ace ring because I'm too poor. Okay, not really. More like I'm saving up to buy other stuff. I've pinpointed at least four rings that I really really want on the internet but shipping is fucking expensive (literally no one ships to my country okay like what the hell) and also I don't have a credit card which means the transaction has to go through my parents whom I'm not out to and I don't want to come out to so hey, all sorts of complications!

Salted Karamel

I checked that I don't wear one because I dislike wearing rings, but also because I don't feel that just because I'm on the ace spectrum I need to adopt it as a visible part of my identity that I should need to put on every day. It describes me but it doesn't define me, you know?

I wear one. I've been wearing a different ace ring since the week I tried out my business class (which I am now in for the next few years). That was a few months ago. At first, I've been using a black leather string, then I got one on Amazon but it was too big, so I returned it and ordered another. That was too big, so I just taped more leather string inside as a temporary ring. I got my current one from a flea market. That I know of, nobody recognized it. But maybe they did and just never pointed it out. And I know not many people would know what it is, but I like the ring.

Actually, only two people asked me what it meant. They were my sister and my best friend. Since I knew them and it was when I first started wearing it and I was a little less comfortable telling them, I just avoided it. But now I think I'm able to say.

Oh, wait. I just remembered that that week I had business was during Ace Awareness Week. I guess that was on purpose, and it was 5 months ago. Wow, that was longer than I thought.

No one I'm not out to has ever noticed really, I just like wearing it because I like the whole community symbol idea, so it doesn't really matter to me that most people don't recognise it.

I don't have a ring because i am not out and feel like it might give it away

• 2 weeks later...
penny_dreadful

I wear one (not all day every day, but I do)! As someone who doesn't really wear hand/wrist jewellery like...ever. I decided I wanted my ace ring to be something special that I wold not tire of since it would be the one exception. I had my eye out for independent designers for awhile, and then I found HVNTER GVTHERER and I knew I hit the jackpot (they are not cheap but they have tons of gorgeous yet simple possibility for ace rings...). I thought that my ace ring could serve a dual purpose, it could be a way for me to express my orientation (and not particularly care that no one else knows what a black ring on a middle finger stands for) and feel like I'm part of a community, and I could also own a nice timeless handcrafted piece of jewellery that goes with all my outfits. Yaaay :D

f8bd2fcf-aaa4-4c43-a3d4-5f251882b43b_zps

• 2 weeks later...
TriSpectral

Only one person ever asked what the ring was for. I wasn't expecting the question, but I had an answer all lined up and ready to give.

When I started reading on this site I found out about the ring. I love the idea, and found one I like from the company Carbon 6. it is carbon fiber, and unbreakable, non-conductive of heat/cold/electricity, and I haven't even managed to scratch it- I am hard on jewelry. And, what makes me smile about it is that I got one that glows purple on the inside curve in the dark. :) In the middle of the night when I wake up it is glowing. Cool.

I sort of look at it as a "commitment ring" to myself. An engagement ring to myself. A promise to never make the same mistakes of relationships again. It keeps me strong when I am regretting my life.

I've thought about it, but I've yet to find an adult-sized ring that actually fits me, so I'm wary of ordering such a thing online. I don't know of any place near me that would be likely to have one. I also don't know if I like wearing rings, since I've never worn one habitually. I do hate wearing things on my wrists, but necklaces are fine, so who knows.

I also wouldn't really want people to recognise it, since I don't generally like having people come up and start conversations with me... but that's already a risk from shirts and jackets I wear, so that wouldn't be anything worse.

• 3 weeks later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2015. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Census Moderator

Archived