Interest in food, alcohol, and the "pleasures of life" (for grey/demi/asexuals)

Suistar

How interested are you in...  

1. 1. ...tasty food or drink? (Chocolate, delicious meals, you name it)

• Very much
    • A fair amount
    • Not much
    • Not at all
  2. 2. ...alcohol / getting drunk?

• Very much
    • A fair amount
    • Not much
    • Not at all
  3. 3. ...getting a good/comfortable night's sleep?

• Very much
    • A fair amount
    • Not much
    • Not at all
  4. 4. ...art / aesthetics?

• Very much
    • A fair amount
    • Not much
    • Not at all
  5. 5. ...good music (the sound of it, if possible)?

• Very much
    • A fair amount
    • Not much
    • Not at all
  6. 6. ...sensory nature experiences, like the feel of the grass or the sound of the wind?

• Very much
    • A fair amount
    • Not much
    • Not at all
  7. 7. ...sensory experiences like the feel of silk or the smell of baked bread?

• Very much
    • A fair amount
    • Not much
    • Not at all

This poll is closed to new votes

AprilStorms

Personally, I think that's just a stereotype that aces are 'frigid' or disinterested in other, non-sex stuff. I throw myself into things wholeheartedly and often - many people describe me as "passionate." I'm a hopeless romantic also and enjoy everything on that list except booze.

Blue Phoenix Ace

I wonder what the results would look like for sexual people?

If it's pleasurable, not harmful, and doesn't cross some other line for me then I'm usually interested.

I consider myself rather apathetic to life in general as nothing overly excites me, but I love sensory experiences and I think they're among the most pleasant things in life. Touch, smell, sound... those are the ones that I think are strongest and most influential/pleasurable for me.

Out of those listed, all were a "fair amount" or higher except for alcohol, but don't mind small quantities so I chose "not much" there.

I love food, value sleep properly, love music, like sights, am slightly interested in other sensory stuff including. And so on. I mean, this theory, to me, makes only some sense but also makes a bit of offensive, because it could easily be taken along the line that a lower ability to enjoy relates to a lower standard of life, and thus a lower value on that life.

Blue Phoenix Ace

What I find really interesting about this data is that 55% of asexuals claim to not like alcohol at all, and 21% are in the not much category. I'm not sure if "not at all" means these asexuals don't drink at all, but it does in my case. A recent Gallup poll took this data in the US about how many people don't abstain from alcohol http://www.gallup.com/poll/141656/drinking-rate-edges-slightly-year-high.aspx

It shows that the rate in the US for abstainers was 33% in 2008 which is considerably lower than the 55% we have here. Granted, we aren't comparing similar data since the poll here on AVEN is worldwide, while the Gallup poll is for the US only. Still, that's a huge gap in the percentages. I wonder if there's some link between abstaining from alcohol and asexuality?

I care at least a fair amount about everything but alcohol on that list, so I don't think I fit that theory at all.

And if I drink alcohol, it's for the sensory experience. I just don't do it that often.

divided_sky

Love music, love nature, and am generally down to catch a buzz on just about anything, although there are better things than alcohol for me. The rest- meh.

DannyFenton123

I'm sorry if this is an unpopular opinion, but I hate alcohol. I hate what it does to people, and I hate how it kills people. That and smoking.

What I find really interesting about this data is that 55% of asexuals claim to not like alcohol at all, and 21% are in the not much category. I'm not sure if "not at all" means these asexuals don't drink at all, but it does in my case. A recent Gallup poll took this data in the US about how many people don't abstain from alcohol http://www.gallup.com/poll/141656/drinking-rate-edges-slightly-year-high.aspx

It shows that the rate in the US for abstainers was 33% in 2008 which is considerably lower than the 55% we have here. Granted, we aren't comparing similar data since the poll here on AVEN is worldwide, while the Gallup poll is for the US only. Still, that's a huge gap in the percentages. I wonder if there's some link between abstaining from alcohol and asexuality?

Although I can't provide any reason why there would be a link, I'm also interested by this after seeing those figures. I've never thought of my attitude to alcohol and my sexuality being linked, but I do classify both in much the same way, ie. this is something which everybody else I know enjoys yet I cannot understand the attraction of.

We need to get a team of scientists on this immediately.

Hate to give pseudo-science credibility, but as a Cancer/Pig astrological signs I don't find much in their descriptions that doesn't apply to me. :) Afew inconsistencies on this definition:

"The Playful Cancerian Pig Personality

In accordance with the thinkings of ancient Chinese Astrology people born in the Year of the Pig are highly emotional charged. They are believed to acquire the playful vivacious persona of this creature. When these people arrive in the Western astrological sign of Cancer too they often gain lots of this lively spirit in their personalities. The Cancerian Pig's character is one of a mix of fun, sensitivity and passion, along with a giving, helpful nature. These people may appear to be rather louder in voice and style than most other Cancerian's. They do not like to be ignored and so often develop many ways to attract attention.

The Cancerian Pig personality likes being around the presence of others more than anything else. They are generally not happy with just their own company and much prefer pair or group situations. They make friends really easily and are usually attentive and loyal in all relationships they enter into. A Cancerian Pig is a trusting individual and so their sensitive passionate personalities are easily hurt. If you betray their friendship or trust they will sometimes find it extremely difficult to forgive you. These individuals put a lot into relationships but expect a lot back from them. They are very family orientated and will work hard to build secure futures. "

I actually love to be on my own or alone unless online virtual interactions count in which case I guess I'd agree. :) In person though I'm very quiet preferring to listen and watch than participate. It's a social skill I just never cultivated. Love people, not interacting with them. :)

Went on but the def I knew of previously mentioned love of pleasure; hedonist. Which describes me well. While not a foodie or the like, I don't do well doing things I have to as my 'messy' apartment attests. I consider it 'well ordered' as when things find themselves on the floor they do tend to stay there. "Oh yes, I know exactly where that is." :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a whole bunch of conversations on AVEN about asexuals and alcohol and it consistently comes out that the majority of aces don't drink or don't like drinking. The only poll I can find is this one:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/107044-reasons-for-drinkingnot-drinking-alcohol/?hl=alcohol

But it's something I've seen coming up again and again. I'd love to find out the reason(s) for it, Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion had a go on that poll but it seems to go deeper than that. The alcohol thing was one of the main reasons I started this poll ^^

The reasons I don't drink are partly not wanting to lose control, and partly not seeing why I would want to do something if I can only enjoy it when drunk; I'd rather either learn to enjoy it sober or find something else to do. Also, I don't see alcohol as being that different to other drugs (which most people don't do). I've heard sex described as a drug, or the experience as a bit like being high, I wonder if that's a link?

I generally love all of those besides art and sensory experiences. Mhmm... tasty food, alcohol and sleeping... <3

Blue Phoenix Ace

I used to drink quite regularly. I was never an obnoxious drunk (that I can recall anyway), but 4-5 drinks in an evening wasn't uncommon. I gave up drinking because it made me feel like poop. I don't feel any more or less sexual since I gave up drinking either.

Blue Phoenix Ace

I had a thought today about why the "alcohol rate" is so low on these boards. Many of the people answering this poll are below the legal drinking age and are less likely to be drinking anyway...

I'm glad that I'm not alone with the no-interest in Alcohol, in my town I feel like I'm the ONLY ONE who does NOT drink. It's just sad when every friend i've ever had IRL has to drink, just has to.

I had a thought today about why the "alcohol rate" is so low on these boards. Many of the people answering this poll are below the legal drinking age and are less likely to be drinking anyway...

Hm, that's an interesting point, though it depends on the country they're from... For example, the legal drinking age here in Switzerland is 16 for things like beer, wine etc. and in most of Europe it's 18. Not to mention a lot of people who do drink seem to drink heavily in the one or two years before they're of age anyway... (Older siblings / older friends buying them alcohol, and suchlike.)

Autumn Season

I like everything except for drinking. Even when I find alcohol which tastes good, my stomach and skin will be upset and I never enjoyed getting drunk anyway. Just not worth it.

• 1 month later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2014. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Census Moderator

Archived