AVEN on Eyewitness News

ASF

VivreEstEsperer

Found it, thanks to sacredandprofane!

WOOHOO ! our first TV coverage! i thoroughly enjoyed that. I watched it three times. Woohoo seeing us on tv, we exist we exist and people are taking notice !!

Cheshire Smile

One word (and symbol) : fantastic <3

I'll watch the video later when I actually feel the urge to open *cringes* Explorer *cue horror music*

Did get a chance to see the clip...like stated in another thread, it was well-produced and unbiased.

Unfortunately, I did have to cheat on Firefox and go to Internet Explorer...just this once! It will never happen again, Firefox, I promise.

For those of you having trouble accessing the page or the video

http://kyw.com/special/local_story_216105757.html

Transcript from the page above

(© MMV, CBS Broadcasting Inc., All Rights Reserved.)

Aug 4, 2005 11:00 pm US/Eastern

PHILADELPHIA (KYW) Some people are coming out of the closet, but they're not gay. They are asexual and they say their lack of a sex life is as normal as having sex.

David Jay considers himself an average guy. “I go to my work everyday. I like to work out. I've got a whole slew of friends," he said.

Victoria Glancy considers herself average too. She likes to read, is writing a novel, and is excited about her new boyfriend. “We're incredibly mushy and obnoxious and we drive all our friends crazy," she said.

There is one difference. She and her boyfriend have no interest in having sex - ever!

Jay has no interest either: “Sex is never a thing that it made sense for me to do."

They are a couple of the growing number of people declaring themselves asexual. Jay even started a website - AVEN - Asexual Visibility and Education Network.

”People just started pouring in from all over the world with similar experiences saying, ya know? I'm not interested in sexuality. I don't experience sexual attraction,” he said.

Many people consider a lack of sex either funny or pitiful like in the upcoming movie "The 40-Year-Old Virgin." To asexuals, no sex is no joke and nothing to hide.

CBS 3’s Natasha Brown reports there are so many questions swirling around this issue. Is asexuality really an orientation? Is it an undiagnosed health problem or could it be spawned by an emotional problem?

Licensed Sex Therapist Dr. Chris Fariello of the Council for Relationships explains: “They're people who perhaps they believe their hormone levels are off or they have low testosterone. In some cases, that's true.”

He says not all asexuals turn out to have a physical or emotional problem. “I certainly think that asexuality needs to be studied a little bit more so that we can learn to understand it and certainly accept it as a distinct form of sexual orientation,” he said.

Glancy says she doesn't need research to know she's fine. “I’m in a relationship. I met him on the site. He's asexual as well. there's just a level of intimacy there," she said.

It’s intimacy without sex.

VivreEstEsperer

i like IE better than firefox

aim express doesnt work well in firefox

Archived