The thread where we talk about the book.

Næt.

Read it. Ages ago though. Fantastic introduction to philosophy and philosophers. A bit of a 'Philosophy for Dummies', but it gets around the 'patronising for the reader' thing by addressing all its teaching to a young girl. So you don't feel quite so stupid.

I love it. I thought the way Gaarder weaved in a philosophical storyline (yeah, it wasn't exactly highly-charged stuff, but then again it's not meant to be a plot-driven book :P) was really excellent and departed nicely from the dictation style of the letters and such. (God, that sounded a bit like an essay sentence. Sorry.)

Sophie was annoying though! Pissed me off how she was sarcastic all the time.

I LOVE Gaarder.

I hadn't had the time to finish the book, thought...3-4 chapters left I think and my mom lend it to a friend of hers

I like the way it's outlining the basic points of the major philosophers. It certainly might be an inspiration to look further into philosophy.

Oh, and I loved the twists.

I really preferred 'Solitaire Mystery' thought, it was much more interesting story-wise

I read the bus does that count?

Sure, Am! How did the bus make you feel? Do you believe that the bus has an important statement to make about life, or was it more designed to be a shallow best-seller? :P

I loved Sophie's World when I read it; however, I haven't, in subsequent years, been able to re-read it. I don't really know why. It is a good introduction to philosophy and it isn't too condescending. But, perhaps, that is the problem: once I've read the introduction to philosophy, I don't really want to read it again. . .

AuroraCoriolis
I really preferred 'Solitaire Mystery' thought, it was much more interesting story-wise

Same.

I loved Sophie's World when I read it; however, I haven't, in subsequent years, been able to re-read it. I don't really know why. It is a good introduction to philosophy and it isn't too condescending. But, perhaps, that is the problem: once I've read the introduction to philosophy, I don't really want to read it again. . .

I read Sophie's World once or twice (1.5 times?), but have been unable to reread it for several years now as well. I liked it enough to go and read some of Gaarder's other books (The Ringmaster's Daughter, The Solitaire Mystery, maybe Maya), yet . . . I don't know. Maybe it is because the book is an introduction to philosophy. Maybe the characters were a little irksome upon rereading. I'm not sure. :unsure:

Sophie's World has me hooked on harder philosophical works...I bought The Republic yesterday...it's a gate-way book, I tell you!

• 2 weeks later...
Strange@ttracter

I'm going to start reading it tonight. I'm reading Jane Eyre at the mo and the book that accompanies with Gunther Von Hagens Body Worlds exhibition. I always have loads of books on the go!

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I've read it, but I love it so much. Not only has it gotten me interested in philosophy, but it's also had a huge effect on my own writing. I'm much more willing to experiment now, regarding the twist. It's a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I read Sophie's World when I was a teenager and I think I found it a little condescending. I don't think I was old enough to appreciate the way that Gaarder writes, because on reading some of his other books like The Ringmaster's Daughter and The Christmas Mystery I have come to love his fairytale way of describing the world. So perhaps I should try Sophie's World again.

• 1 year later...
Decisive Pink

I'm about halfway through the book and am having trouble getting into it. It seems like it's aimed for young adolescents, and as I fall FAR (well not THAT far....okay yeah that far) out of that range I'm not really getting much from it. It's not awful by any means, just a bit too simple and I tend to pick up others books when I'm in the mood for reading. I'm gonna stick with it in case that changes.

Archived