The old bird lands on a new roost

KAGU143

Greetings, fellow oldies!

The admod team is shuffling people around and I have volunteered to come and keep watch over you folks so that Tanwen can move to a new spot. She isn't abandoning you, don't worry; she is in line for a promotion!

Anyway, I'm Nancy, more often called Greybird, and I have been hanging around this forum since it was first created. I'm currently 55 so I feel like I should fit in pretty well with this group.

I've been married and divorced, have no human children, and I live out in the country where I raise LOTS of birds, both indoor and outdoor varieties, not to mention the thousands of wild ones that I feed. I like gardening too, but the plants have to be able to live despite my care. Luckily I also enjoy wildflowers! (aka:weeds)

My moderating style is pretty laid back. You can be assured that I'm watching, but I might not say anything very often. 'Nothing creepy about that at ALL, eh?? :D

I hope you enjoy your experience at AVEN. I have been here for several years and it has made a HUGE difference in my life.

I have said (and will be saying) plenty more about this subject in other places,

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

-GB

My moderating style is pretty laid back. You can be assured that I'm watching, but I might not say anything very often. 'Nothing creepy about that at ALL, eh?? :D

So that was you in my room last night :unsure:

Hello Greybird, very nice to meet you. I've been around for awhile, but keep somewhat quiet. Still working on the marriage and sometimes it's easier just to read. I live in the country too and feed many wildlife. Don't know what I would do if I didn't hear the bird songs every day. Now that spring is here, it's so wonderful to see and hear more coming back too.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the new post.

I have been away for awhile and the whole place changes. :blink:

• 1 month later...

:rolleyes: HEY greybird - nice ta meet ya - i love birds - well - i love almost all critters - got one cat - he rules!!

i used to live where i could feed the birds - did that for well over 20 years - sure miss it now that i'm in an apartment !

i am SO glad to have found this forum - thanks to everyone who is making this work!

been married twice - divorced twice - been single since 1979 - now am 64 and not wanting any more sexual tension in my life EVER! been there done that - hated it then - hate it now -

sure look forward to some bird stories!! hugs to all :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Greybird,

Maybe you can answer a question for me. I just found this site in the last couple of days and don't know my way around. You make it sound like there are different groups with the AVEN site. Like, are you the admin for the "oldies?" I am 56 and most the people I have looked at (just browsing through the membership) are 20 somethings or younger. If there is a group for us oldies, how can I get into it? You can email me direct if that's easier. I'm not sure how I would find your reply to my question otherwise. Check my profile for email, etc (wingnut).

I grew up in Seattle (Bellevue) so I envy your location. I am now near the center of the nation. I still have family in the greater Seattle area but don't seem to make it up there quite as often as I'd like. Have you ever gone to Bumbershoot down in Seattle Center over Labor Day weekend? It has been one of my favorite things to do. Thanks for taking the time.

--Steve

The admod team is shuffling people around and I have volunteered to come and keep watch over you folks so that Tanwen can move to a new spot. She isn't abandoning you, don't worry; she is in line for a promotion!

Anyway, I'm Nancy, more often called Greybird, and I have been hanging around this forum since it was first created. I'm currently 55 so I feel like I should fit in pretty well with this group.

I've been married and divorced, have no human children, and I live out in the country where I raise LOTS of birds, both indoor and outdoor varieties, not to mention the thousands of wild ones that I feed. I like gardening too, but the plants have to be able to live despite my care. Luckily I also enjoy wildflowers! (aka:weeds)

I hope you enjoy your experience at AVEN. I have been here for several years and it has made a HUGE difference in my life.

I have said (and will be saying) plenty more about this subject in other places,

-GB

Hi Greybird,

Maybe you can answer a question for me. I just found this site in the last couple of days and don't know my way around. You make it sound like there are different groups with the AVEN site. Like, are you the admin for the "oldies?" I am 56 and most the people I have looked at (just browsing through the membership) are 20 somethings or younger. If there is a group for us oldies, how can I get into it? You can email me direct if that's easier. I'm not sure how I would find your reply to my question otherwise. Check my profile for email, etc (wingnut).

I grew up in Seattle (Bellevue) so I envy your location. I am now near the center of the nation. I still have family in the greater Seattle area but don't seem to make it up there quite as often as I'd like. Have you ever gone to Bumbershoot down in Seattle Center over Labor Day weekend? It has been one of my favorite things to do. Thanks for taking the time.

--Steve

Hi Steve.

I know it can take some time to get used to this place, but it's really pretty easy to navigate. We don't really have "groups" precisely, so much as we have different forums with slightly different focuses. By joining AVEN you automatically have access to all of the public forums, even if they don't particularly interest you, but I think that most of our members tend to hang out in only a few of their favorite forums and seldom visit the rest, simply due to the sheer volume of new material.

The Older Asexuals forum is mainly aimed at older members, so I guess our online oldie's group is here if it's anywhere.

talk040.gif

Welcome to AVEN!! Pull up a chair and make yourself at home!

*dusts the furniture, and serves cakex2-1.png at the welcome buffet*

Since we are adults, we can also have bev-1.png with our cake!

I'm the moderator here and I say it's okay!

(I'm not an admin. They have scary magical cyber-powers that mainly just confuse me. I'm more like a housekeeper.)

Even though we "oldies" discuss many of the same topics that appear on other areas of the board, I have found that we usually have a different perspective on things than our 20-something members do.

I admit that I have been pleasantly surprised by the level of maturity that I see in many of the younger members, but it's still nice to converse with people who come from the same generation.

I hope you enjoy our happy little corner of the internet! Feel free to hop into any conversations that interest you.

I have to confess that I have never been to Bumbershoot. It sounds like it would be fun, but it would be a major ordeal for me to get to it from Shelton.

Maybe someday, when I have somebody to go with me, it might be worth making the trip, but I'm usually too reclusive to venture very far from home unless someone else prods me.

That sounds really lame, doesn't it? :blush: I am such a country mouse .... :P

-GB

• 1 month later...
bohnenstange

Hi I am 47, male, european and this is my first post. I have possibly Asperger Syndrom which would be my explanation for MY asexuality. On top of that i do not have huge social skills. Apparently even less then some schizophrenics I had to deal with over the past years.

I know two women from psychwards who probalby have Asperger's too but are not asxual. One reminden me last week that I used to talk a lot about autism. I call Asperger Autism since in my little country that keeps it simple.

Well otherwise I am quite isolated, I like one of the two women but the other one is single and just because she paid me a coffee last week i called her up. She was pretty aggressive on the phone.

Anyway I want to call her back next week.

I kind of miss the platonic relationships I had in my teens and twenties. But then I was sort of a "social" drinker.

I stopped that 11 years with the help of AA. But then over the last two years I felt really trapped in some of those groups and had to stop going, largely due to chronic insomnia especially after going to certain of those meetings :mellow:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi bookwomyn, and welcome to AVEN.

Yay Wenatchee!! :cake: :cake:

I don't know of anybody right offhand, but a lot of people join AVEN and then don't post enough to make themselves noticed so I could easily have missed somebody.

The search feature will only work if people fill out their profiles, and for various reasons a lot of members won't do that.

My two best suggestions are to either make sure that your general location and your age are included in your profile so that people who are searching can find you, or to become active in the community and meet new friends online. There have been several marriages among people who met via AVEN but I think it's worth noting that most of them began as long-distance relationships. There aren't very many openly proclaimed asexuals yet, so trying to find some in a local area can be extremely difficult. When you add age restrictions it becomes even harder.

-GB

• 1 month later...
cozy n. bizzy

Yeah, after peeking around a bit seems like a very young forum in general, so I probably belong in this section more too. Also love country living, animals and books. Seem like some nice people here. Hello and nice to "meet" you.

• 9 months later...

-GB

I found the site a few days ago...while searching for answers....is it possible to become asexual later in life? perhaps you could read what I have written previously and HELP.......

thanks

Chuchi

AVEN is a great place to talk things over and figure things out for yourself...you're very welcome here. Pull up a chair, heve a drink (alcoholic or non depending on your preference) a piece of AVEN :cake: and enjoy. You're among friends

I found the site a few days ago...while searching for answers....is it possible to become asexual later in life? perhaps you could read what I have written previously and HELP.......

thanks

Chuchi

I don't know about "becoming" asexual later in life. For most of us, myself included, it seems more like discovering it later in life. Once we find AVEN and start lebout the cencept a light goes on and looking back we realize (or not) that we were probably always asexual. Maybe we tried to fit into a sexual world and sexual roles, but somehow it never quite "clicked".

At least that's my experience and it seems to be born out by many of the stories and comments I've read from others in this wonderful community.

If someone were sexual and became "asexual" I think that would be something different and might be a reason to explore other "causes", such as hormonal changes or other biological reasons for the change in desire/attraction/whatever, especially if it causes any concern to the person affected.

I hope that helps! :) I'm pretty new here and still learning a lot, so maybe some of the Avenites who have been around here longer can offer more/better comments.

Welcome to AVEN, Chuchi!

:cake: :cake: is served, of course ... :)

I am going to second what daveb said.

If someone has been sexual most of their ilfe and if it seemed normal up until recently then there MIGHT be some medical issue which needs to be addressed.

(I haven't looked up your other posts yet so I don't know what else you may have said on this subject.)

Like daveb said, however, it is extremely common for older asexuals to not REALIZE that they are asexual until they accidentally stumble across the term online or through some other media outlet. Sometimes it seems that the prevalence of asexuality is one of humankind's best kept secrets.

We are working on changing that!

-GB

edit:

I just read your other posts.

It is quite possible that your husband is asexual and never knew it, but only he can know for sure. It seems to be particularly common with those who were raised with a strict religious or morally conservative outlook, possibly because a person who thinks that sex outside of marriage is unthinkable would find nothing strange in never thinking about sex when they are single. It can happen with any kind of background, though.

It is pretty much impossible to determine another person's sexuality without being inside their head.

As suggested elsewhere, why not show your husband this messageboard and see if asexuality rings a bell with him?

• 7 months later...

Hi Greybird. I got confused. I thought the 'WA' for your location must mean Western Australia, especially when you mentioned wildflowers. Congrats on your wedding. I love birds too.

Goonie ... that was funny what you said :-) You too Tanwen "cats, birds".

Bohnenstange (hope I got that right), my husband who I'm currently in the process of being divorced from, had Aspergers, but was definitely into sex.

DaveB. Yes, I'm a case in point. Was given a testosterone-curbing drug by a medical practitioner (against my will I might say), and it destroyed my libido completely within 3 weeks of using it, and it never came back. I know for a fact, my testosterone was decreased by a third, but more than that, I believe the drug BLOCKED the action of the remaining testosterone as well. But there was no accountability from the medical profession and I've been left to pick up the pieces in my life (as above). Maybe others who are asexual from early on, have this sort of blockage naturally ...

• 4 months later...

50+ vat and living in South West England. Interested in inter-chat with others in England. Also traveling to NZ for the winter and looking for any women of any age willing to tramp and camp the South Island or just meet up

• 8 months later...

I've been reluctant to unpin this thread - I have such a high regard for GBRD (though we haven't always seen eye to eye, we've 'agreed to differ'. I think the time has come though...but if I make a final post, it should remain on the first page for a while.

:wub: you Brd :D 2.gif

• 2 months later...
biromanticseniorgal

Hi Grey Bird,

I've been out as asexual for a long time but am new to social networking online. I've received kind welcoming words from other older asexuals and am so glad to have finally found this site. I feel more comfortable than I've ever felt anywhere and hope to make friends here. Thank you so much.

Take care everyone.

Archived