I'm cursed to be alone, forever.

Usernamecolonasterisk

Usernamecolonasterisk

And I couldn't give a monkey's toss. Why is it that, if you're not in a romantic relationship you're a loser? I'm not a loser; I'm just not arsed about having a girlfriend.

What is so wrong with this?

It's not as if I don't have human contact, got friends/people whom I don't dislike enough to not speak to.

And why does Mozilla spell-checker say that 'Mozilla' is spelled incorrectly?

reverse_thrust

I concur.

I take issue with the semantics of relationships anyway. "Having" a girlfriend implies ownership, which is consciously or unconciously how most people tend to perceive it. Many tend to ignore the notion that people are fluid and have various needs that are not necessarily met by your partner in a relationship, but still frown upon multiple partners. I'm more comfortable being part of a close circle of a few friends who "complete" me, if you will.

BleedingThrough

I feel the same way. My friends and family keep saying "someday when you're married...." and I just sit there and think "I'm happy just the way I am being single!" I don't need to be in a relationship to be happy. Just as long as I have my family and friends.

Pretty much all of my friends have bfs or gfs and I don't and it doesn't bother me unless someone mentions they want to set me up.

I don't have Mozilla so I wouldn't know. :P

[asterisk]]I'm cursed to be alone, forever. And I couldn't give a monkey's toss. Why is it that, if you're not in a romantic relationship you're a loser? I'm not a loser; I'm just not arsed about having a girlfriend.

What is so wrong with this?

It's not as if I don't have human contact, got friends/people whom I don't dislike enough to not speak to.

And why does Mozilla spell-checker say that 'Mozilla' is spelled incorrectly?

If you don't give a monkey's toss...then why would you consider your status to be a curse?

I'm BLESSED to not have caved in to society's expectations and have a piano tied to my arse in the form of a spouse.

I say the same as you though. It's not like I don't have any human contact. If I do meet a partner, that's fine but I'm not actively looking.

I don't know what Mozilla is but my SN on some message boards is Moxxie and they call me Moxilla!

I completely agree. That's why people who act as if they can't go a week without a girlfriend or a boyfriend piss me off to no end. It's like they're going to die if they aren't in a relationship [which is probably how they feel -_-].

I completely agree. That's why people who act as if they can't go a week without a girlfriend or a boyfriend piss me off to no end. It's like they're going to die if they aren't in a relationship [which is probably how they feel -_-].

Most people are just copying the relationship they say there parents havw in the early years of there life. Of course its subconcious so people don't know. My best freind is one of those 'have to be in a relationship' people and unsuprisingly his mum and dad have always been in a stable relationship.

I don't have to be in a relationship, the only one I've had in my life lasted 3 months, but it'd be nice to have someone to come home to. I have 3 great friends, 2 of whom I don't get to spend as much time with as I'd like to, the other I see all the time and he gets annoying. A handful of friends, and a bunch of acquaintances don't really fill the void that having a girlfriend did, for me anyway.

So while I can agree with the statement cursed to be alone forever, as I feel I am doomed to be one of those people. Thinking of it as being a curse is just reinforcing a negative thought ensuring that it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

The best relationships aren't ones you go looking for, they just happen when you aren't paying attentino and then BAM.

My advice is just to live your life and be happy, keep your eyes open, but don't look too hard.

The best relationships aren't ones you go looking for, they just happen when you aren't paying attentino and then BAM.

My advice is just to live your life and be happy, keep your eyes open, but don't look too hard.

I'd like to believe that to be true. The problem I have with it is that usually the people saying; it's not so bad to be single, or the best relationships just happen, etc., are the ones who don't have trouble meeting new people in general.

I concur.

I take issue with the semantics of relationships anyway. "Having" a girlfriend implies ownership, which is consciously or unconciously how most people tend to perceive it.

I disagree here, because we "have" family, we "have" friends, we have co-workers and bosses, etc.

As for the original post, I agree about romantic relationships not being the utmost important thing in life. However, the problem I have with other relationships, particularly friendships, is the lack of commitment. Friends tend to bugger off when they find a "significant other". (now that's an expression I have problems with. Does that mean your other others are insignficant? I don't think so.)

i envy you.

i sometimes think that i am cursed to be alone because i do so crave a romantic relationship, and have for years, during which i have sought them in vain. I have never once had romantic feelings returned.

of course I don't believe in curses or any of that, so i just realise that i have what i have, and have to make do with that.

the fact that i'm asexual significantly increases the likelihood that i will be alone anyway; might as well just accept that reality.

However I'm not against any unforseen pleasant surprises...

i'm single, have been my whole life, and i kind of look at it as just another way of being with its own advantages and disadvantages. i'd rather be in a relationship, but i'd be very particular who i'd want one with and what i'd want the relationship to be like, so i don't feel cursed. i'd be cursed if i was so desperate to BE with someone i'd get into bad relationships left and right and ruin both mine and somebody else's life in the process.

i kind of just look at life this way: it is what you make of it, and just do the best with the situation you're in.

If I do meet a partner, that's fine but I'm not actively looking.

That's exactly the way I feel. If I end up meeting someone, fine, but it's not important enough to me to go looking for someone. I'm perfectly happy being single.

reverse_thrust
I concur.

I take issue with the semantics of relationships anyway. "Having" a girlfriend implies ownership, which is consciously or unconciously how most people tend to perceive it.

I disagree here, because we "have" family, we "have" friends, we have co-workers and bosses, etc.

Even so, it's all meant to specifically show your connection to that person, and, depending on the overall tone, the hierarchy of power is embedded within the speech itself. Friends are assumed to be of equal status with you, and while "having" a significant other doesn't mean too much, using "my" in connection with another person can mean a lot depending on the tone. I might just be picky, but it bothers me when people introduce their significant others by saying "my boyfriend" or "my girlfriend" before their names, as if the fact that they are dating takes precedence over the fact that they have a name.

The notion of "cheating" in a relationship is juvenille, as "cheating" basically amounts to someone in the relationship is seeking happiness elsewhere rather than trying to resolve the issues in the current relationship. It's cheating in that the rules of relationships possess an implied ownership, and by looking for happiness outside of the relationship, you are cheating.

I'm not saying this is true for all relationships. I'm just saying that I'm not comfortable binding someone to me through some moral obligation. Friends naturally drift apart, but since relationships are a binding contract, in a sense, there are formalities and the party needs to come to an agreement when the contract is terminated. It's a big mess. I'll stick with friends, thanks.

EDIT: Friends who don't have significant others. Haha, I don't like that phrase either, because if you think for a second, as you realized, then naturally everyone else is insignificant.

Well...you may be partner-less, but never alone. Something the comic "Least I Could Do" explains well at one point is that some people never have partners, but they always have friends. Saying you will be alone just sounds depressing.

reverse_thrust, I definitely understand a lot of what you're saying & agree with much of it!

However, I do think it's ok to try to get a relationship(s) to last & to work at them so they don't drift apart. But still, it's important to realize that sometimes, you just have to let them go.

Anyway- I don't really categorize my relationships, so I don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend or date. I have a variety of relationships that all add something to my life- some of which are more intimate, closer, etc. than others. I do not consider myself to be single because how could I when I have all these people in my life? I'm definitely not alone!

I wouldn't stress it.

It's usually when you stop giving a rat's arse that you find one anyway. Trust me.

Guest Nieoby

Username....you should get the book "Singled Out: How singles are stereotyped, stigmatized, ignored, and still live happily ever after" In fact, I'd recommend it to all of you.

All I want is someone to cook dinner and squash moths for me.

I wish I could afford a butler.

• 2 weeks later...
Username....you should get the book "Singled Out: How singles are stereotyped, stigmatized, ignored, and still live happily ever after" In fact, I'd recommend it to all of you.

Thanks! I've just requested it on my public library's website. :D

I used to be bothered by acquaintances and relatives every now and then talking to me about this. I just said I wasn't interested but that didn't stop them from pestering me later. Now, I figure the next time someone mentions that I should get married or meet someone, I'll tell them it's a personal, private matter (basically, my polite way of saying, "buzz off"). For now, the annoyance is at a plateau. This may be because I am still young (under 26). I have a feeling it will get worse when I get older. I used to dread this problem throughout my teens but now, after experiencing more of life, I could care less what others think about my being single and not in a relationship. I doubt I will ever be in a romantic relationship and I am all right with that. (Most of me is anti-romantic.) I know some people that others would call my "friends" but I don't like getting attached to people, even in a nonromantic manner. Overall, I don't like the problems that arise from dealing with people but I can be social. Once in a while, I even feel like it wouldn't be bad to have a romantic interest. But then I come back to my senses-- and remember how good it is to not depend or rely on anyone else, especially for something so deep and personal.

Just like I am not going to be sexual to please others, I refuse to be in a relationship just because certain individuals and society, expect me to do so.

ratatosk_lemur

Neat. Will have to find it next time I have access to a library.

I do not want a relationship. In fact, being in a relationship is, in my opinion, one of the worst things that could happen to me. I hate the responsibility of maintaining relationships. Even having friendships is a burden I don't really like having. But if I don't have a social life, my parents will send me away to a psycho boarding school.

I'd rather pretend to like someone than get sent away.

But in my humble opinion, being alone is not a curse.

Archived