Shortpacked introduces homoromantic asexual trans-chassis female character

sinisterporpoise

sinisterporpoise

Here's the link.

1387475919-2014-01-01-diversitycloset.pn

Because I'm a fan of shameless self-promotion, here's a far less important link. I'm not sure if this is an example of positive visibility or not.

Web comic Shortpacked outs its homoromantic asexual trans-chassis female
January 7, 2014

Ultra Car, a character from the web comic Shortpacked¸ came out as a Homoromantic asexual trans-chassis woman in Monday’s comic. The strip frequently includes LGBT themes, but it rarely mentionsasexuality.

Asexuals use the terms hetroromantic, homoramantic and aromantic to describe their dating desires. A homoromantic asexual wants to date a member of the same sex. He or she has no interest in pursuing intercourse. Trans-chassis refers to the Ulta Car's previous life as a car. Her maker gave her a human-looking chassis.

David Willis, the strip’s creator, produced the strip for his Tumblr readers. The terms listed in the second paragraph are used frequently by Tumblr users. The social networking site's culture allows its users to understand the meanings of these terms with ease.

Although David Willis made it clear that one of his characters is asexual, other web comics still lag behind in this area. The creator of El Goonish Shive web comic stubbornly refuses to support the Terre Haute Asexual Examiner’s assertion that Susan is asexual.

Edited by ithaca
  • Like 1

I'm a fan of David Willis's work. He strikes me as someone who tries really hard to represent diversity and do it well. And honestly? Ultra Car is pretty awesome. If she's asexual, this is good by me.

Plus, she's asexual and in a romantic relationship! The few times we're portrayed in media, so often, it's with an air of "no asexuals can ever be with anyone ever".

It seems like webcomics are often at the forefront of stuff like this. Girls With Slingshots have had an asexual character (Erin) for a while, also in a romantic relationship. I haven't read it for a while though so I don't know if the characters are still together. But yeah, David Willis seems pretty good at diversity in his casts.

PS: why do you think Susan from EGS is asexual? She's been sexually attracted to both Justin and Elliot.

sinisterporpoise

The last line was intended to be a joke. I'm a huge fan of El Goonish Shive, and Susan strikes me as asexual. Her "sexual" fantasy ended in a handshake. However, my assertion that Susan might be asexual is not supported by recent developments in the comics.

I really like Dave Willis, he's hilarious and seems like a really good guy most of the time.

It seems like webcomics are often at the forefront of stuff like this. Girls With Slingshots have had an asexual character (Erin) for a while, also in a romantic relationship. I haven't read it for a while though so I don't know if the characters are still together. But yeah, David Willis seems pretty good at diversity in his casts.

PS: why do you think Susan from EGS is asexual? She's been sexually attracted to both Justin and Elliot.

I am an avid reader of both these comics! Danielle and David are great!

As with GWS, yes they are still together!

The last line was intended to be a joke. I'm a huge fan of El Goonish Shive, and Susan strikes me as asexual. Her "sexual" fantasy ended in a handshake. However, my assertion that Susan might be asexual is not supported by recent developments in the comics.

Ah, fair enough. I think Dan Shive hinted a while ago that one of the characters is asexual, but my money's on Noah.

• 1 month later...

Here's the link.

Because I'm a fan of shameless self-promotion, here's a far less important link. I'm not sure if this is an example of positive visibility or not.

The two links seem the same?