We need fictional Asexual representations

I think what a lot of people on here are forgetting is that we are an extremely small minority (~1% of the population), you have to understand that even hoping or expecting equal representation in many television shows, books etc. that you speak of, from sexuals mostly hetrosexuals, is really asking for a lot. There is barely any true homosexual representation in television, just a hopeful lure otherwise known as "queerbaiting". Most do not understand us or know we exist. We should just be grateful that we are not being actively discriminated against.

Musicbvbgirl33
On 11/30/2017 at 8:37 PM, thegrayace said:

Recently, I was rewatching the series House. There was an episode where a character is presented as asexual. At first, I got a little exciting seeing asexuality being in the spotlight in such show; however, in the end, I was extremely disappointed, and even somewhat insulted. This was because they present asexuality as a pathological issue of that patient. Now, I don't care I was insulted, but it shows why asexuality needs more spotlight in the popular shows, or at least in television. Another show that was, and maybe still is popular, and has a character in the asexual spectrum was Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. However, this show gives it a somewhat a pathological atmosphere. I know recently that Bojack Horseman show did a quite good job with Todd Chavez. I also saw that a vampire from Shadowhunters called Raphael Santiago was also asexual, but doesn't go too much into it. Another that gives a 'meh' representation is Sherlock Holmes from the BBC series Sherlock.

Why we need it? This is so we can feel comfortable as asexual, and maybe even help a few people to understand themselves better. Also, it's also for others to understand, or at least know of the existence of asexuality. Some may refer to other popular blogs as well, but some have a bad representation because of a few that have use it to spread misinformation or for having extremist on their views, like Tumblr.

omg I was just thinking about this for a while. I've seen some gay representations in tv shows, movies, books, etc. And I've been reading a lot of stories about gay romance on Quotev. But I haven't seen a lot of asexual representations in the tv shows, movies, books, etc.

sldkifijenslk

I think it would be awesome to see more ace characters in fiction! There are so few of them. Even though we are a small percentage of the world's population, that's still millions and millions of people. I can think of a few characters that are definitely or probably asexual, like Sherlock Holmes and Castiel as other commenters have mentioned. 

Another character I can think of who is sometimes thought of as ace is Daryl from the show The Walking Dead. He shows no romantic or sexual interest in any of the other characters. The show's creator, Robert Kirkman, addressed Daryl's sexuality in an interview and said that he is "somewhat asexual" and that "Daryl Dixon is actually straight." That could mean that Daryl is asexual (or gray/demisexual) and heteroromantic. Hopefully in future seasons the writers of the show take advantage of the opportunity for ace representation with such a huge fan favorite!

• 3 weeks later...
Gwilled-Cheese

Hey, my friend wrote this book with an asexual main character. Actually, the books really how we became friends online. It's on the website called wattpad:

https://www.wattpad.com/story/19605250-phillip

It's quite funny and sad at the same time, but my favourite thing about the book is that the character is discovering she's asexual throughout it, and although it greatly affects the storyline it's not screaming I'M ASEXUAL, I'M DIFFERENT, NO ONE UNDERSTANDS ME like a lot of asexual stories I've read. It's also extremely realistic and the main character, It's written like a diary but it's not cheesy at all. Caroline, is both hilarious and surprisingly deep. Be prepared to be simultaneously crying with laughter, sadness and being stressed the hell out as you follow her misadventures.  Anyway, I came here to find some book recommendations if anyone has them.