German court decides we need a law for third gender option

Luftschlosseule

Luftschlosseule

Just grabbed the first englisch link I could find.

I first heard last year on my local pride parade about a person called Vanya trying to get people see that we need a third gender option for official documents.
Around last year it was decided that the documents for an intersex child should just leave a blank instead of forcing a decision between male and female, and thus create legal grounds for operations and hormonal treatment in some cases not even the parents were asked about. This raised concerns, because when travelling, it was feared that people might get subjected to forced medical examinations to determine sex.
So the court that deals with constitutional issues decided that till the end of next year, we need a proposition for a new law regarding a third option, an official honorific and the pronouns that are to be used for the people of said gender.

Now, LGBTQ+ organisations are trying to educate people about non-binary persons and that this law should not only be for intersex humans, but for all that don't fall in the binary catgeories.
It's going to take a while, but it appears that Germany is the first European country in which this decision was made, and anyways, bureaucracy is slow and has always been.

Let's hope for the best!

Hey, that's really great! I hope that your government will find a good solution to include the 3rd gender option into existing laws and make it open for people with a non-binary identity, too.

btw: The decision of the German Bundesverfassungsgericht has already caused two Austrian parties to announce a legislative initiative for a 3rd gender. Even if it won't succeed, chances are high that our constitutional court will return a similar decision. (There's a pending case which will very likely be decided in the next couple of months.)

If Germany starts to use the third gender option then hopefully it will spread to other European counties too, so that they can look progressive and we can have a third gender option, it's a win-win if you ask me :) 

scarletlatitude

Moving this to the gender forum

scarletlatitude

World Watch mod

Archived