Getting awkward around buddies

spACEboi

Does anyone get really awkward around friends whenever they start talking about sex and things of that nature? I personally get super awkward and/or disgusted whenever they joke or talk about sex. 

Semiterrestrial Scientist

My friends don’t actually talk about sex or anything related to it really. It’s more my brother. And yes, it makes me extremely uncomfortable when he jokes around about it. I think I literally kicked him out of my room once for it.🤔

I don't really mind hearing other people talking about sex and stuff, but I get nervous when those conversations come up, for fear of someone asking me a question about it, because I am not "out" as ace with any of my friends. 

People generally don't around me. But I'm mostly around people in school and work settings. Sometimes my siblings talk about stuff around me, but they know it grosses me out and they're pretty respectful of that. I think I might also look like someone you just don't talk about sex with; I look really innocent.

Most of my friends aren't very sexual. Either that, or they don't like talking about it. I'm glad people generally see me as an "innocent little child whose soul will shatter if I hear the word f**k"

However I often overhear loud "hypersexual dude" conversations about... that icky stuff... and it makes me gag. And yes, it is very very awkward.

4 hours ago, Zevie said:

I don't really mind hearing other people talking about sex and stuff, but I get nervous when those conversations come up, for fear of someone asking me a question about it, because I am not "out" as ace with any of my friends. 

What's the problem though? You can always say you don't want to talk about it or it's a private matter. You don't have to tell anyone about it, it's not obligatory and the only people who have right to ask aboit your sexual life are your partner and your doctor.

I used to feel very uncomfortable especially before I figured out I was asexual. Since then I haven't ended up in many conversations about it actually. I have a few friends who are very sexual but I never had a discussion about sex with onlu one of those friends at a time, so whenever they start talking about it I just don't say much. I think I also have that thing about me that people sense it doesn't interest me, because they somehow never expect me to join the conversation, even if people I don't know that well talk about sex around me.

No. I don't mind at all and I have discussed a lot of sexual stuff thoroughly, be it reasons, feelings, bodily fluids or techniques. It depends on how close I am with the other person though.

23 hours ago, anlin said:

I used to feel very uncomfortable especially before I figured out I was asexual. Since then I haven't ended up in many conversations about it actually. I have a few friends who are very sexual but I never had a discussion about sex with onlu one of those friends at a time, so whenever they start talking about it I just don't say much. I think I also have that thing about me that people sense it doesn't interest me, because they somehow never expect me to join the conversation, even if people I don't know that well talk about sex around me.

Same here.  When I was in my 20's, it gave me feelings of inferiority, insufficiency, and a general feeling of abnormality when people discussed their sexual conquests.  After realizing my asexuality,  it's not as much uncomfortable feelings, rather just uninterested in the sexual subject in general. 

I have no problem with sexual, raunchy discussions when they are generic. My coworkers and I have had some pretty strange discussions at work revolving around sex related topics. But when they start talking about sex in a personal

sense I feel awkward. They don’t know im

asexual but do know I’m long time single and don’t do casual hookups. So they don’t look to me contribute to the conversation when it comes to personal experience. 

Hermit Advocate

Only one of my friends actually talks to me about it. She pretty much starts those conversations off with "I know you don't get this but I need to talk to someone," and that's fine. 

Lotta_Biscotti

Usually not. I tend to find it interesting, but sometimes it can get gross or depressing. It really depends on what's being talked about and how it's handled. I've had some great convos with close friends about that sort of thing, and I've had really awkward not-quite-conversations where I've been very clearly reminded just how different my perceptions and priorities are from the allo folk.

If it's a close friend, I'm usually -really- open and chill.

I don't really have "buddies" like that. Whatever I have is generally very far and few in between.

I don't generally feel very awkward whenever people talk about it in front of me, unless they get really graphic and then I just cringe. Sometimes I find it to be sort of interesting to talk about, even if I don't really get everything they're talkkng about.

Archived