I think I'm demiromantic

Kai Davis

Every small relationship I've ever had really didn't mean anything. I have a bad habit of dating people I barely know. However, I've had a few really meaningful relationships and that was cool, but I realise now that I've known those people for a long time. I feel broken, to be honest. I'm okay with being demisexual. It's something I've always been okay with. I'm sex-repulsed unless I know you well, then you're alright. But I'm a huge romantic dork. Romance is beautiful to me, and I've always thought of it fondly. I just can't feel anything when I'm with someone I don't know. That would be dandy and all, but I'm dating a girl and I want to care about her so badly. I really do. She's sweet and everything and a good friend, I just don't romantically feel much. I don't want to string her along in the event that I find out I'm not demiromantic, I just don't love her. That's harsh. I hate feeling broken

• 2 months later...

I know exactly what you mean, I’m asexual and have never felt sexually attracted to anyone ever. However, I recently got into my first relationship and I’m beginning to think I’m aromantic  as I don’t enjoy any physical contact with him and feel awkward when he tells me he loves me and stuff. It’s hard feeling as we do bc it just makes it that much harder to find someone that you could be happy with. I don’t want to live a life with someone that I’d always feel uncomfortable in, but also don’t want to be alone :/

• 5 weeks later...

I get that as well, sometimes I'll notice someone giving me looks and my friends are all telling me I should go on a date with them but I can't have romantic feelings towards a person I just met. it also sucks because I'll think I have a crush on someone and try and get close to them and then I just have to wait to see if I do but then sometimes I don't and that can suck. I crave romance as well, I always wanted to have a partner but I couldn't form romantic attractions very easily so at sleepovers when people would ask me who my crush was I would say I don't have one and everyone would stare at me. A couple years ago I got really frustrated and just dated the first guy I saw that was attracted to me because I thought I liked him but I really didn't. I know it's pretty hard but sometimes you just have to wait it out and don't rush into things even though you really want a relationship. I did this with my now girlfriend, so I befriended her and learned things about her and I found that I did have feelings for her and they've only gotten stronger.

Now, I'm demiromantic as well, and I do find that getting to know people is the main importance for me first before deciding if i really do like them in a romantic way. I am very sex repulsed, so I will have to find some compromise to satisfy the sexual (or even asexual but that's a small chance that I will find someone who's asexual) but I basically want to be friends with them first because I not only want my future boyfriend or girlfriend to be my bf/gf, but to be my best friend as well. 

Archived