Uncomfortable with undressing around people: dysphoria related?

LeDeer

I feel really uncomfortable when I look at anyone who's undressing. Really, everyone: strangers, boys, girls, even close friends that I know since years. I can't really keep looking in their direction, whatever it's their face, body, the ground or what is behind them; I need to look somewhere else or I feel highly embarassed, and I'm afraid I could start blushing °////°

An example that happened 2 months ago: I was at a pool party with some school mates (we were all girls), and between them there were my close friends too. When they (not me since I didn't plan to take bath and so I didn't take with me a bathing costume) started to undress and remain with their costumes only, I kept trying to look at somewhere I couldn't see them. Even for some time after they undressed, I still felt a bit uncomfortable to look at them whenever they were even 3-4m away from me, or turned in any direction. However I had this feeling only if I was looking at them: if for example they were beside me and a bit in touch, I felt really slightly embarassed to nothing (if they were close friends).

Another example: if I join a gym dressing room, and inside there're already girls (but I guess this would happen if they were boys too) undressing, I run straight to the bathroom, looking at the ground and change my clothes where nobody can see me nor I can see anybody.

Regarding undressing myself, I think I would feel much more uncomfortable with changing my clothes in front of friends or people that I know generally, instead of in front of strangers (e.g at the beach). 

I wonder if this "avoiding to watch undressing people/being watched undressing" is somewhat related to my body dysphoria -as I wrote in my presentation, I don't like at all having a breast-. I have little to no problem with my lower body part (I would probably just wear some bathing shorts for men, as I don't like women ones), but I wouldn't feel comfortable at all at showing my upper part because any bathing top looks so "open". I just would like to hide my breast completely and that nobody would notice it.

Any thoughts?

Feeling uncomfortable around people undressing is really common for people that aren't used to it, especially in cultures where it's generally considered inappropriate.  (Like the US, for example) I've had tons of friends (most cisgender) that feel uncomfortable being around naked people.

I don't know enough about you or situation to know if it's dysphoria related,  but it could be. I'm genderfluid and I'm usually fine in locker room scenarios like that. I've found that the more desensitized to nudity I am, the more I'm okay with it. If I'm not around it for a long time, then I get more awkward.

I hate not being fully dressed in front of people, and still pretty uncomfortable when I'm alone. I have a feeling it's dysphoria-related to me, because I just instinctively cover my front. Another thing is that my front is normal for a guy, but my back is all scarred up and I don't mind people seeing that.

I'm also uncomfortable around undressed people too, and just assumed it might be asexuality-related.

<No longer active>

Ites the opposite for me. I don't give a monkeys about undressing around other people, because the body they'll see is not me.

(I've been dissociating pretty hard, can you tell? Dissociation is actually one of my main 'symptoms' of being trans.)

All the little Lights

I live in a culture that's more open to nakedness than I am. For example, once after a sports event, I went showering in a bikini. No one else did that! 

I also feel uncomfortable undressing, and with the fact that others undress. But I don't mind that much with people I know well, mostly because it's pretty much unavoidable. In a dressing room, I tend to not look at the others and undress fast. I just tell myself "it's not that important, just undress, you'll be okay". That doesn't work every time, and it feels a bit like lying. Because it is actually important. I just ignore my uncomfortableness.

I do actually have a tip for you. There are swim shirts that you can wear, even with a binder underneath. That might help? It helps me at least. I didn't wear a binder underneath, but already the shirt made me feel like I was wearing clothes and not like wearing underwear.

3 hours ago, All the little Lights said:

I do actually have a tip for you. There are swim shirts that you can wear, even with a binder underneath. That might help? It helps me at least. I didn't wear a binder underneath, but already the shirt made me feel like I was wearing clothes and not like wearing underwear.

I haven't though about swim shirts, and maybe that could work. However I'm a bit clueless about where to buy a binder :blink:

Thanks for the tip! For the next pool party I will probably end up being around friends wearing underwear-like costumes, while I wear a swim shirt and shorts lol. A bit weird to see but at least I would feel fine.

All the little Lights

You're welcome:-)

You can buy binders at underworks or gc2b (just google it), these are the ones I know. It's important to make sure you're getting the right size!

Some people dont like seeing other naked. I think much of this is how we are raised to view nudity. 

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
32 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

Some people dont like seeing other naked. I think much of this is how we are raised to view nudity. 

True but as for myself I mainly dislike the experience of exposing my imperfect messed up body to others in public. It gives me a worse feeling of physical vulnerability and helplessness.

1 minute ago, Deus Ex Infinity said:

True but as for myself I mainly dislike the feeling of exposing my imperfect screwed-up body to others in public. It gives me a worse feeling of physical vulnerability and helplessness.

A lot of people dont like showing thier body in front of others. Its not unique to transgenders. 

I hate undressing infront of others too, it makes me feel super uncomfortable. Same goes for seeing naked people, I try to avoid them as much as possible when in a dressing room.

lots of people are uncomfortable with undressing socially for lots of reasons.

one reason for some is body dysphoria. if you have body disphoria, it could relate to your discomfort with social undressing. it doesn't have to be the only contributing factor either.

Archived