Trump Comedy

binary suns

This is my personal experience, but I have yet to find a right-wing comedian who is in the least bit funny, and is often mean-spirited and/or untruthful while not being funny at the same time. To me right-wing comedy is an oxymoron. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, so I'd be interested if someone can point to some right-wing comedians who are actually funny (although I realize humor is a matter of taste, so what I find funny might not be the same as what someone else finds funny; but still, maybe there are some comedians that have wider appeal).

One thing to note is that political comedy often concentrates on those who are in power. Which makes sense to me. That's part of the raison d'être of political humor. Of course the direction that humor takes depends on the people and institutions it satirizes, at least if the humor has any basis in reality.

3 minutes ago, daveb said:

This is my personal experience, but I have yet to find a right-wing comedian who is in the least bit funny, and is often mean-spirited and/or untruthful while not being funny at the same time. To me right-wing comedy is an oxymoron. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, so I'd be interested if someone can point to some right-wing comedians who are actually funny (although I realize humor is a matter of taste, so what I find funny might not be the same as what someone else finds funny; but still, maybe there are some comedians that have wider appeal).

One thing to note is that political comedy often concentrates on those who are in power. Which makes sense to me. That's part of the raison d'être of political humor. Of course the direction that humor takes depends on the people and institutions it satirizes, at least if the humor has any basis in reality.

All comedy is garbage. 

I think the only person I ever found funny, was a political cartoonist named Ben garrison (The non-4chan edits)

trump_tamers_ben_garrison.jpg?w=640&h=48

bernie_sanders_rbg_ben_garrison.jpg?w=64

CaptainYesterday

The problem with Garrison is that he frequently over-labels his political cartoons.  Those ones aren't too bad, but you don't need a "GOP" label for the Elephant, and the dotted line for the path of the match detracts from the piece.

Rightwing "comedy" to me has a nasty aftertaste to it -- an angry tone.  

Leftwing comedy is either slapstick or ironic -- neither of which sound angry.  

CaptainYesterday
4 hours ago, daveb said:

This is my personal experience, but I have yet to find a right-wing comedian who is in the least bit funny, and is often mean-spirited and/or untruthful while not being funny at the same time.

This describes almost all political comedy.  We're just willing to let the "mean-spirited" and "untruthful" parts slide when we dislike the target.

16 minutes ago, Sally said:

Rightwing "comedy" to me has a nasty aftertaste to it -- an angry tone.  

Watch Bush-era comedy and then watch Trump-era comedy.  The anti-Trump comedy is definitely angry.  Colbert, who was once one of the most clever satirists on the planet, has devolved into basic insults and vulgarity.  It's so utterly disappointing.

19 hours ago, Homer said:

I actually started watching some Fox News and I love, love, LOVE some of the comments below them. Take this video for example. There is a comment below it, referring to the left, that reads:

:lol: How can you not love this? And this is by no means an exception. The thought that there are grown-ass people out there who are capable of coming up with ideas like that is... you may finish that sentence on your own.

Let me add two things. One: I don't like the way DT is portrayed a lot of times. There is so much to disagree with regarding to what he says or does, there wouldn't even be no fucking need to make fun of him by mocking his haircut or his hands or his skin or whatevs. Just sticking to the facts will do the trick (nothing against a good laugh every now and then though). And two: I despise the way most political debates are going. It has become way too focused on people and agenda, rather than actual issues. This goes all ways. I never understood the Obama hype either; I honestly think he was terrible and it takes quite a bit to look terrible when George Warlord had been your predecessor in office.

Carry on.

Yes, politics should be about politics, not personalities. 

2 hours ago, Maou-sama said:

@m4rble I haven't seen you in forever, where ya been? 

Hey, I just got distracted from Aven for a while doing other things. It's like reading, I can go for months without reading books but when I really get into something I'll lose sleep and spend every spare moment getting back to the book. .I still really like the Aven atmosphere. I like your signature btw. 

33 minutes ago, m4rble said:

Hey, I just got distracted from Aven for a while doing other things. It's like reading, I can go for months without reading books but when I really get into something I'll lose sleep and spend every spare moment getting back to the book. .I still really like the Aven atmosphere. I like your signature btw. 

Ah, I know that feeling of being distracted with things other than AVEN. Sometimes, it is refreshing to take a break. I recently did something similar. I avoided AVEN (and the computer in general) so I could play a 130 hour JRPG. I didn't really tell anyone, so all my friends thought I had died. That made a good talking piece when I got back. 

Welcome back, and I'm glad you like my signature. :D 

7 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

Watch Bush-era comedy and then watch Trump-era comedy.  The anti-Trump comedy is definitely angry.  

Bush-era comedy by leftists wasn't mean-spirited.  We laughed at him, but because he wasn't a mean-spirited, angry guy, the laughing was just laughing.  Trump IS angry, and thus the anti-Trump comedy is angry also.  

CaptainYesterday
25 minutes ago, Sally said:

Bush-era comedy by leftists wasn't mean-spirited.  We laughed at him, but because he wasn't a mean-spirited, angry guy, the laughing was just laughing.  Trump IS angry, and thus the anti-Trump comedy is angry also.  

Trump doesn't look angry at all to me.  He always has a dumb grin on his face.  I think this is just buying into the narrative that Trump is literally as evil as Hitler, instead of the reality, which is that he's just promoting typical Republican policies while not adopting any presidential decorum.

8 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

Trump doesn't look angry at all to me.  He always has a dumb grin on his face.  I think this is just buying into the narrative that Trump is literally as evil as Hitler, instead of the reality, which is that he's just promoting typical Republican policies while not adopting any presidential decorum.

A typical Republican wouldn't shit all over the US's relationship with our allies the way Trump does. 

CaptainYesterday
6 hours ago, m4rble said:

A typical Republican wouldn't shit all over the US's relationship with our allies the way Trump does. 

A typical Republican would be just as isolationist but, again, with more decorum.

Also, any allies that would let such a temporary leader damage their relationship with the American people were not great allies to begin with.

Trump isn't a "typical republican", he isn't even a "typical politician". Trump is Trump, with constant smug in his face. I think he is rather patient and a good listener. Who doesn't relinquish his personal beliefs for "image". He doesn't care what others think about him at all. When he compromises, he does it fairly too.

11 hours ago, m4rble said:

They need to be shat on. It reveals their true nature. A friend doesn't let their friends do bad things with no input. A real friend tells their friends they are being a fucking moron with their life choices. Even if they get mad at them, the friend's duty is to speak ones honest thoughts when needed.

3 hours ago, Maou-sama said:

They need to be shat on. It reveals their true nature. A friend doesn't let their friends do bad things with no input. A real friend tells their friends they are being a fucking moron with their life choices. Even if they get mad at them, the friend's duty is to speak ones honest thoughts when needed.

Dropping out of the Paris agreement and telling your allies they can't depend on you for defense are not good diplomatic decisions. 

28 minutes ago, m4rble said:

Dropping out of the Paris agreement and telling your allies they can't depend on you for defense are not good diplomatic decisions. 

Why do we need to be diplomatic about a deal? No country has to do anything it doesn't want. It's not a friendship, It is a symbiotic relationship. If one becomes a parasite, it gets removed.

They also have to depend on us either way, because most Europeans hardly have a military. Imagine if Usa told them to go fuck themselves. They would be exposed. Then maybe they might invest in military spending, or show some damn respect for Usa protecting people out of the kindness of their hearts. Since Usa gets practically nothing in return for their protection.

CaptainYesterday
37 minutes ago, m4rble said:

It's easy to sign agreements when America is expected to foot the bill and inadvertantly saves your country billions in defense spending by going out of its way to police the world for you.

Whenever America doesn't pay for something that it's just expected to, it's funny to see other countries get upset and act like them paying it instead is some prideful act of defiance.

16 minutes ago, Maou-sama said:

Why do we need to be diplomatic about a deal? No country has to do anything it doesn't want. It's not a friendship, It is a symbiotic relationship. If one becomes a parasite, it gets removed.

They also have to depend on us either way, because most Europeans hardly have a military. Imagine if Usa told them to go fuck themselves. They would be exposed. Then maybe they might invest in military spending, or show some damn respect for Usa protecting people out of the kindness of their hearts. Since Usa gets practically nothing in return for their protection.

1 minute ago, CaptainYesterday said:

It's easy to sign agreements when America is expected to foot the bill and inadvertantly saves your country billions in defense spending by going out of its way to police the world for you.

Whenever America doesn't pay for something that it's just expected to, it's funny to see other countries get upset and act like them paying it instead is some prideful act of defiance.

The Paris agreement didn't even come with any specific requirements, it was left up to each country to decide what they could do. It was a gesture that said the environment and climate change was a priority to the US. What Trump did was basically say, "fuck you," to the environment and the worldwide well being that depends on it. Also, I don't view encouraging people to build up their military to be a good thing. 

Enne Kristin

It is not up to america to police anywhere. It is their imperialist urge to impose its will onto others. The pacific fleet is not a NATO force, and NATO is not about dealmaking or paying someone for defending others, it is a joint attempt to organize defense.

I hope the US will remove their nuclear forces from germany very soon, nobody wants those bombs in the Eifel... And they are unnessecary and obsolete anyways...

I want USA to go full isolationist, tell Europe, Canada, and Australia to go fuck itself. Then only ally with Japan and South Korea. 

Only then, can America be free to do what it wants, without being weighed down by political correctness and bureaucracy. 

Enne Kristin

hm, this might further the american economies decline... america mostly produces for its own markets. and I dont know how long they will keep going without or less imports from europe... i doubt they can afford this. full isolation in a globalized economy will be fatal for america...

CaptainYesterday
1 hour ago, N'y said:

hm, this might further the american economies decline... america mostly produces for its own markets. and I dont know how long they will keep going without or less imports from europe... i doubt they can afford this. full isolation in a globalized economy will be fatal for america...

And having effectively no military to keep Russia and China in check wouldn't leave Europe in such a great place, either.

1 hour ago, N'y said:

Thats why you make your country resource based, and invade Canada. :D

Enne Kristin

If Russia ever wanted to invade Europe, there would not be any conventional way to stop this... if they tried ww3 and nuclear war would result inevitably. even the british and french nuclear arsenal would make earth a desolate place for cockroaches... the same if the US ever attacked russia... china is a completely different thing though... the most dangerous power at the moment are the US. Espacially their potus...

Just now, N'y said:

If Russia ever wanted to invade Europe, there would not be any conventional way to stop this... if they tried ww3 and nuclear war would result inevitably. even the british and french nuclear arsenal would make earth a desolate place for cockroaches... the same if the US ever attacked russia... china is a completely different thing though... the most dangerous power at the moment are the US. Espacially their potus...

You do realize no big country wants nuclear war right? There is always the probability of a non-nuclear war on a large scale.

On 2017-6-14 at 6:16 AM, m4rble said:

In all fairness, shitting all over that relationship is bilateral. 

Enne Kristin
9 hours ago, Maou-sama said:

You do realize no big country wants nuclear war right? There is always the probability of a non-nuclear war on a large scale.

Of course they dont want it, the big danger is that something went wrong, a sub or bomber commander overreacts or an unresponsible politician triggers the extinction event (especially Trump is such an unresponsible, deranged figure.) All eastern and western leaders since the 1960th had no interest in actually "pushing the button", but it nearly happened or could have happened... What if a russian tu or an american B52 was shot while flying near the borders... the turkish af shot down a russian bomber last year and it was a major crisis. if this happened between US and Russia... I dont want to imagine that. Even this years (completely useless) cruise missle attack onto a syrian airfield was outright madness. Such events let progress the doomsdayclock nearer to  12. And I really think the potus is not mentally fit to be commander in chief of the american nuclear forces. I actually think he is very inclined to use their power to eradicate north korea just because he can. remember, I openly questioned: why do we have nuclear weapons if we dont use them. this person is insane, a danger for the existence of life on earth itself. And all computersimulations show, a major war between US vs RF, US vs PRC, RF vs PRC, India vs. Pakistan, India vs PRC, what ever would lead to a tactical nuclear response VERY soon, which will escalate to a major launch if ICBM/SLBM even faster.

Archived