Butter versus Margarine

Pramana

Butter versus Margarine  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, butter or margarine?

• Butter.
    • Margarine.

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm told that back in the day, people would cut out the middle man and just spread straight ham fat on bread.

I prefer butter, but since I also have some serious issues with "factory farming" methods, I only buy it if I know it came from a humane-practice source...off course that always means really f*ing expensive so generally, it is margarine for me. On the plus side, margarine is a lot easier to spread. 

eh they all have different uses:

Butter:  good all-purpose, best for baking, best flavor

Margarine:  good for making sandwiches 

Crisco/shortening:  good for frying and making crisp cookies

I tend to like margarine for most things. Maybe butter for certain baked goods, though. Margarine does have a slightly different taste when used in baking. I'm wondering if since my mom tried to keep kosher at home, that that was the reason why we mostly used margarine? Butter has dairy, and dairy can't be mixed with meat products when eating kosher. Many, who keep kosher, swear by margarine, using it in everything this way. But, we weren't that strict. I like it melted on bread for breakfast sometimes.

On 27/4/2017 at 4:39 AM, TheLittleRabbit said:

There's also a brand that makes a slightly sweetened blend of peanut butter and coconut oil that is sooo good on hot toast.  I think it's called Earth Balance?

I am definitely trying that! Although "sweetened" anything, even if just slightly, is definitely not my thing. I guess I'll try a home-made version. Peanut butter and coconut oil are sometimes more easily accessible for me than butter anyway. (I have a Thai market close by, while the nearest supermarket is too far away and out of my way.)

On topic: there is something about the smell and consistency of margarine that I find disgusting. The taste feels artificial to me. Margarine is just wrong. In contrast, I am perfectly capable of eating butter with a spoon and often sneak a small piece while cooking.

TheLittleRabbit
1 minute ago, miau said:

I am definitely trying that! Although "sweetened" anything, even if just slightly, is definitely not my thing. I guess I'll try a home-made version. Peanut butter and coconut oil are sometimes more easily accessible for me than butter anyway. (I have a Thai market close by, while the nearest supermarket is too far away and out of my way.)

On topic: there is something about the smell and consistency of margarine that I find disgusting. The taste feels artificial to me. Margarine is just wrong. In contrast, I am perfectly capable of eating butter with a spoon and often sneak a small piece while cooking.

They're starting to add "natural flavoring" to a lot of butters now too :( Even organic, at least here in the USA.  I'm not sure what it is or why they do it since natural flavoring can mean so many things, but it tastes horrible.

1 minute ago, TheLittleRabbit said:

They're starting to add "natural flavoring" to a lot of butters now too :( Even organic, at least here in the USA.  I'm not sure what it is or why they do it since natural flavoring can mean so many things, but it tastes horrible.

Bleh. No kind of flavouring, natural or not, has any place in butter. Butter is butter. Why are people trying to "improve" something which has been the same for centuries? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Butter!

Even though don't eat it. Margarine does not taste good

Kærgården butter is the best

On 2017-5-10 at 4:48 AM, M00SE said:

Churn%20Down%20for%20What

508789-weird-al-yankovic-i-ve-churned-bu

• 11 months later...

@Pramana

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived