The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

37 minutes ago, EMPrise said:

there's been way too much 'core in it lately :redface: Maybe I'll just stick a ton of Meshuggah into it 

Hey, when you get past all the generic shit, 'core can be quite good! No embarrassment needed! Although, as a counter-measure, a ton of Meshuggah isn't a bad way to go :P 

• Like 1

@Kittyxiii

:D

I've been playing four songs in a random loop for the last 2 or so hours. Here are 2 of them:

Norwegian female-fronted metal

Spoiler

And a regional song of the Gelderland region in The Netherlands in metal version

Spoiler

• Like 2
Sage Raven Domino
21 hours ago, Kittyxiii said:

Because I haven't posted in here for a while, and... well, why not? :lol:

https://youtu.be/iU2hy0L5lgg

I adore Andy's work so much :), even his recent non-metal covers.

As someone who was (still is?) a grey-lithromantic, I think that death growls are very appropriate when singing about the horrors of romantic love :lol: 'Tell me, tell me, baby, why can't you leave me? A-a-a-arghh!!'

• Like 1

@AndyJ

Great find. Thanks for sharing :)

As for cosmos-themed black atmospheric metal, have you heard Dark Space?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Also, Progeni Terestra Pura (this one is actually more future-themed)

Spoiler

@Piotrek

Yes, Dark Space are awesome!!  Haven't heard of Progeni Terestra Pura, i will go check it out!... I quite like the whole future themed metal thing - though being a Viovod and Vektor obsessive its not surprising...  I found Mare Cognitium as they were linked from Krallice on Bandcamp.  The whole self recording and publishing thing is such a boon, its a bit like the indie game developer scene...

@Poseidon

Yeah, you get to decide what you want to focus on without the label telling what is or isn't going to sell.

Another example of space-themed metal

Spoiler

Off-topic

Spoiler

By the way, I've just found yet another reason to dislike this whole username-change feature. You've just changed your name, but the tag I'd used stayed the same, so seeing your reply I thought "wft has just happened"  and for a moment was going through  the thread in confusion <_<

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

@Poseidon

Yeah, you get to decide what you want to focus on without the label telling what is or isn't going to sell.

Another example of space-themed metal

Reveal hidden contents

Off-topic

Hide contents

By the way, I've just found yet another reason to dislike this whole username-change feature. You've just changed your name, but the tag I'd used stayed the same, so seeing your reply I thought "wft has just happened"  and for a moment was going through  the thread in confusion <_<

Hahaha I'm sorry!  I signed up months ago but forgot to use the forum, and now I don't really like using my actual name on here (or any forum actually).  So I changed it!  I was a bit surprised to find a name change feature on here to be honest, most forums don't have such a thing!  I promise I won't change again!

Keep em coming by the way, my bandcamp wishlist keeps getting longer damnit! (its already got something like 150 albums on there I want to buy!).  I like youtube for sampling a band, but I always buy their stuff on BC.  Got to support the artists especially when its underground music like this...  Plus I'm a FLAC sort of guy!

• Like 2

Welcome @Poseidon! Thanks, that was a great find. @Piotrek I love Darkspace as well... Some really good albums. I think III was my favourite, but it's been years. Good excuse to re-listen today! I LOVE the space theme discussion :D Here's one of my favourites:

Edit: I see the upgrade hasn't fixed my spoilering problem. <_< Sorry for the spoiler tree.

Also, not really Metal, but definitely metal in the broader sense: Humanoid is the side project of Mathieu Marcotte, guitarist from Augury. Not only is it awesome,  but I also like to plug it because I'm still very proud of and indebted to the Quebec metal scene (Voivod!) Mathieu is both super talented and a super chill, nice dude. 

And I'll throw in some Augury too, cause they give me the warm fuzzies. @Piotrek I can't remember if we've had this discussion or not, but they make good use of the cool female vocals you hear in this song throughout this particular album (Concealed) in case you're interested! 

• Like 1

I don't normally pay much attention to cover artwork, but I think I've found the most beautiful one I've seen.

And it doesn't hurt that their music rocks too :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Piotrek said:

I don't normally pay much attention to cover artwork, but I think I've found the most beautiful one I've seen.

And it doesn't hurt that their music rocks too :)

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

That's some lovely artwork!  For me the best album art is on Ulver's Bergtatt... It's like the perfect art work to match the music on that album.  And if we are talking about artwork, how about the WORST artwork in metal.  Immortal's Son's Of Northern Darkness springs to mind.  Epic album, artwork...not so much!

Here's one that most people probably already know, but for me is such a perfectly insane metal song... I know Krallice isn't everyone's favourite band, but for some reason these guys really do something for me...

Spoiler

ETA - Just remembered there is a certain album by Autopsy which might actually be worse than the afore-mentioned Immortal album art....... You know which one I'm talking about!  *shudders*

• Like 1

Also, how can we forget the new Pillorian album, Obsidian Arc.  Agalloch might be dead and buried (*sobs*), but thankfully John Haughm is still making music...

Spoiler

• Like 1

@Poseidon

I like the Pillorian piece. I'm listening to them on Spotify right now ("By the Light of the Black Sun"). It doesn't hurt that their tracks aren't 20 minute-long mammoths either. ;)

So many great artists to discover in this thread :D Fortunately, I still have 2 weeks off right now ;) 

From me, one of my earliest Last.fm discoveries:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Piotrek said:

@Poseidon

It doesn't hurt that their tracks aren't 20 minute-long mammoths either.

@Piotrek

I demand even longer tunes!  I still think Edge of Sanity's two Crimson albums are amazing... Only 40 minutes a song!  Not to mention the hour-long Green Carnation album/song (though arguably that would have been much better if the very badly done female vocal section had been omitted).  I am definitely drawn to the long tracks.  I consider anything under 10 minutes to be short...  I think its the inner prog head in me.

@Poseidon

I guess it depends on a track and a day for me. Overall, though, I don't have much experience with 20-minute tracks. Few of the bands I listen to consistently produce compositions that long. An acquired taste, perhaps.

EDIT:

I am spinning "Evocation II- Pantheon" by Eluveitie. The whole album is packed with folky, accoustic tunes in Gaulish about ancient gods. The new vocalist, Fabienne, is more than sufficient replacement for Anna Murphy.

@Piotrek

Oh man I love the long songs.  If you haven't heard it before this is one of the pioneering pieces of music of the progressive death metal genre;

A certain Mr Dan Swano and Mr Mikael Akerfeldt on that one... Came out the same year as Opeth's Morningrise (another landmark of the genre).  This is one of my favourite albums / songs of all time, what a journey!  Compared to some of the new stuff out there now, like Ne Obliviscaris, it probably comes across as fairly simplistic, but in 1996 it would have been monumental...

@Poseidon

I'm looking at "Crimson" on Spotify right now, and it's divided into 8 parts. I see on Wikipedia that this version is also somewhat shorter than what you linked.

New debut release from Lör - This has me crappin' in my cornflakes!  Totally freaking beyond....... Check em out on BC, these guys should get all the support they can have...  And this isn't even one of the best on the album (but there's a limited choice on Youtube);

Spoiler

• Like 1

The album is also available on Spotify, I've just checked. I dig the song, will definitely check out the rest! Thanks for sharing.

Don't pollute your cornflakes like that again, though :P

From me folky metal in Dutch (check out the video description for the lyrics translation).

Spoiler

And a folky instrumental from the same guys

Spoiler

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

Don't pollute your cornflakes like that again, though :P

Haha!  It's a quote from Ready Player One......!  (cool book btw).

I really like those two you posted!  Even more BC stuff for the wishlist.  *sigh*  It's a good problem to have!

29 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

The album is also available on Spotify, I've just checked. I dig the song, will definitely check out the rest! Thanks for sharing.

@Piotrek

Hey, no worries.  The rest of the album is so good I can't stop listening to it... They throw so much into the blender, even a bit of black metal in a couple of songs, but it all just works without much effort.  And I think there's even a cowbell in there somewhere!  Any album with a cowbell is a winner 8)  I think the opening track (Dusk) or track 8 (Eidolon) might be the best, but honestly its all so good... Let me know what you think to the rest of it.  Hard to think this is a debut album from an unsigned band......

@Poseidon

I just finished listening to the final track of the album, and I definitely agree that there is a lot going on in their songs, and "something for everyone".  Good stuff 8)

Speaking of similar projects, do you know of Arjen Anthony Lucassen? He has had several projects under various names (the most famous of those being Ayreon). If you have never heard of that, you definitely should listen to some of his stuff :)

Some examples:

Spoiler

Spoiler

And a project that seems clearly inspired by Lucassen:

Spoiler

@Somebodysomeone

Yeah, I like the album this one come from. It's a pity all of their albums sound the same, though.

• Like 1