Touch averse romantics

Star Bit

Can you elaborate on how you know you're romantic despite the aforementioned fact?

Galactic Turtle

I am touch averse and I always thought of romance as a feeling more than a physical action. I think it's because of this that a lot of people think I'm aromantic? But if the feeling is there I don't see why touch has to be involved. Words and non-physical actions can communicate love in my view. I've never felt the urge to touch anyone but if someone doesn't desire to have any physical contact with anyone it doesn't mean that they can't care a lot about them.

In terms of how I know if I'm romantic? I don't. :blink: But I do feel like I have the capacity to love someone romantically. It just doesn't look like love to other people which puts me in a weird spot. 

• 2 months later...

There's a non-tactile romance in at least the first episode of FX's Legion (by Marvel). It's on Hulu.

Edit: It's only in the first several episodes of the show.

Galactic Turtle

@Star Bit Thanks! I checked it out. I hope more stories like that can be portrayed outside of mental institutions though since that's often where they pop up (or in similar situations). Even the reinforcement of the necessity of showing love through touch. I wish we could stop saying that.

At least he respected her wishes the best he could, but she was the one that made the false promise of eventual contact (on the day she accepted to date him no less).

Galactic Turtle
1 minute ago, Star Bit said:

At least he respected her wishes the best he could, but she was the one that made a false promises of eventual contact (on the day she accepted to date him no less).

I thought she said yes as long as he didn't touch her? She wasn't promising anything. She explicitly said so. XD Though I only watched up to the main guy talking to an investigator(?) about a murder so... maybe I haven't gotten up to the plot twist yet. The montage of their time together was nice though.

At the end of repeating the no contact rule she says "...yet".

Galactic Turtle
2 minutes ago, Star Bit said:

At the end of repeating the no contact rule she says "...yet".

Nope. She said "yeah." :P If you turn on the CC you'll see it.

@Galactic Turtle Ah, ok. (looked it up after you posted, but forgot about replying) Even knowing what she's supposed to be saying I can't really hear it; the word has an ambiguous ending to it. Sometimes the subtitles are actually wrong; like Netflix, but idk about Hulu and will take it for what they say it is, especially since he never complains about not being given something he was promised. But the non-tactile relationship only lasts for the first several episodes.

Someone Else

I'm not exactly hugely touchy (maybe I just haven't bonded enough) but I'm not truly touch averse either.  And yet, I'm fascinated with the idea of romance or intimacy existing without touch.  

Someone Else

Been thinking further on this subject: Would internet/video chat relationships be satisfying to a touch-averse romantic?  For many people, such things aren't satisfying, because there's no physical presence.  

Someone Else

It sounds like it started out great, and might have stayed great with a sensitive asexual, which he does not sound like at all.  So, I suppose, there's hope for it in the future, since you know you can have feelings for someone online.  

Someone Else

I make a special point to try hard not to judge social anxiety people, and I really do hope sometimes that I'm not the only one.  Maybe some people are sometimes helped by criticisms of some kind?  But generally not when anxiety is concerned, it just compounds the problem no matter the intention. 

• 2 months later...
confused turtle duck
On 2017. 05. 15. at 8:56 PM, Someone Else said:

Been thinking further on this subject: Would internet/video chat relationships be satisfying to a touch-averse romantic?  For many people, such things aren't satisfying, because there's no physical presence.  

Hi, I think I'm kind of late for this post, but still here I am... I'm a touch indifferent/ touch-averse romantic (it depends on the person and situation which one). I was never in a relationship, but I have a best friend, and she lives in another country, we see each other every 3-4 months, otherwise we talk online. And for me, even if I nearly never touched her (only hello/goodbye hugs, but not always), it's really bad not to be close to her. I don't miss touching/hugging her (I never wanted to touch her?), but I do miss sitting in the same room, lying on the grass next to each other, walking together on the street. I feel like physical presence and touching is not the same. For example, I was really happy just for being in the same room with her when she came visiting, much happier, than when she arrived and we hugged. So I definitely think that I couldn't have a relationship only online. I wouldn't suffer as much from it as touchy people, but I would miss being in the same room. Though this is all just my point of view :D

Archived