Annoying things sexists say

Emery.

Calligraphette_Coe

I remember one of these profs saying "Women can't program. Women can't think logically enough to code!".

I would have asked him if he had ever heard of Ada Lovelace (thought to be the very first computer programmer) and Admiral Grace Hopper (who invented the first compiler).

I wanted to post about Ada Lovelace but didn't in the end :D

UncommonNonsense

I remember one of these profs saying "Women can't program. Women can't think logically enough to code!".

I would have asked him if he had ever heard of Ada Lovelace (thought to be the very first computer programmer) and Admiral Grace Hopper (who invented the first compiler).

I would have.... but I was quite far away from him, in the middle of the swarm of 300 students all struggling to leave the class. He was at the front of the class, ranting to a group of about 5 kids who'd come up to ask questions at the end of class. I have no idea what the question was that triggered his sexist outburst. Douchebag. This was 1996... even back then, his attitudes were considered backwards, stupid, and vastly inappropriate. I really should have put in a complaint.

I had some real doozies teaching my university classes... yeesh.

Sometimes I feel like we all need a mini Calli on our shoulders to help us with these awesome come-backs in real time! :P

Calligraphette_Coe

Sometimes I feel like we all need a mini Calli on our shoulders to help us with these awesome come-backs in real time! :P

Heaven forbid, LOL! You don't EVEN want to know the trouble some of those comebacks got me into 'livin' la vida loca.'

I dunno, my apartment sometimes reminds even me of the Shadow Gallery in V for Vendetta. I literally have walls of books and media, and even with my hurt brain, those little snippets come tumbling out sometimes when triggered by the strangest things.

"What?! You're a girl, you're supposed to like sweet little kitties!"

I just remembered this one.

My mom asked me if I would change my last name for a woman, and I said "Uhhh... maybe." Then she asked me if I would change my last name for a man and I quickly said no way. Then she said I was being sexist.

No, the norm of making the "woman" change "her" name for the man is sexist. By changing my last name for a woman, I wouldn't be following a senseless gender role that I strongly oppose; by changing it for a man, I would be. It especially bothers me when people say that it "shows you belong to him". Eww.

I remember earlier on in the year, a guy at church got annoyed that someone had written his now wife's name first in a Christmas card to the both of them, apparently because he believes in "male headship" in a relationship... I always thought that jointly addressed cards either went alphabetically, in age order (if including children), or simply with whichever sounds best. (Not to mention this "male headship" thing being a complete load of bollocks)

I didn't get them a card last year, but I certainly will be this year, and guess who's name I'll be making sure I write first because I'm petty as all fuck :P

My family always signs by age order, which puts my dad in front of my mom, but me in front of my brother. It's something we don't even think about though, and it would be weird to have someone else make such a big deal out of it.

Sister: "Mum, I wanna go to the gym."
​Mum: "Yes...but you don't want to get too muscly. It's not feminine."
​Me: "What the actual f*ck, mother."

"Men don't gush over babies like women do!"

"What do you mean you want to play rounders? You're a boy!"

"Dancing is one thing, but what boy in their right mind would want to be a cheerleader?"

Me: *wears pink*
​Some a*hole: "Look at that crossdressing boy!"

Calligraphette_Coe

"Dancing is one thing, but what boy in their right mind would want to be a cheerleader?"

George W. Bush, 43rd president of the United States, was head cheerleader while at Yale.

As far as boy's wearing pink being crossdressers, I always liked the pink T-shirt that said "Don't laugh. This is your girlfriend's shirt."

I wear pink t-shirts at times, and when I get that from male co-workers, I usually counter with "Hey, at least I bathe regularly." (One of the people that says stuff like that where I work often smells really bad and his personal hygiene is atrocious.)

deleted_account

I overheard a mother talking with her son earlier today about Halloween costumes. The son said he wanted to be Spider-Girl for Halloween. The mother told him, "No! YOU are a BOY and you can't be Spider-Girl. That's for girls. Don't you want to be Iron Man, like you were a few years ago?" So not only did the poor kid not get the costume he wanted, but he had to dress in the same costume he wore a few years ago because his mother was too ashamed to have her kid dressing in drag for Halloween.

Sister: "Mum, I wanna go to the gym."

​Mum: "Yes...but you don't want to get too muscly. It's not feminine."

​Me: "What the actual f*ck, mother."

"Men don't gush over babies like women do!"

"What do you mean you want to play rounders? You're a boy!"

Me: *wears pink*

​Some a*hole: "Look at that crossdressing boy!"

can't tell you how many comments I'm bombarded with by my own family.

"you're a female, act like one"

"what kind of female are you to be so sloppy"

"you're so rough like a man"

<______< those 3 have come from several of my immediate family members but mostly from my mom if anything at all. My brother is second in those kinda comments.

Calligraphette_Coe

I overheard a mother talking with her son earlier today about Halloween costumes. The son said he wanted to be Spider-Girl for Halloween. The mother told him, "No! YOU are a BOY and you can't be Spider-Girl. That's for girls. Don't you want to be Iron Man, like you were a few years ago?" So not only did the poor kid not get the costume he wanted, but he had to dress in the same costume he wore a few years ago because his mother was too ashamed to have her kid dressing in drag for Halloween.

Yeah, it's not like he said, "Mom, I want to do be Spider Girl for Halloween. Then I plan to start robbing banks."

Some people contend that the word 'drag' stands for 'Dressed as a Girl', and the opposite of the would be 'drab' for 'Dressed as a Boy.' And I guess Mom would freak out a little bit, too, if her daughter wanted the Iron Man costume.

George W. Bush, 43rd president of the United States, was head cheerleader while at Yale.

I swear I learn something new every time I read your posts, Calli... :cake: :D

Calligraphette_Coe

I swear I learn something new every time I read your posts, Calli... :cake: :D

Aww, you're very kind. Maybe I try to be like a Steampunk lady with night vision goggles, allowing me to see further into the intellectual infrared. :)

Once I had a job working on equipment that used a lot of infrared LED emitters/detectors. I was at a hamfest (Amateur Radio Festival) and found some cheap night vision technology. The older stuff, that needed lots of high voltage made my some finicky dc-dc convertors. That taught me some valuable lessons about high voltage power supplies used in radiation detection-- things like PMT (photomulitiplier tubes)-- used in my present working life.

Now, about that Steampunk corsetry.....

"Real men don't *insert random thing here*." Piss off, I do what I want.

"Real women don't *insert random thing here*." Piss off, they'll do what they want.

I just remembered this one.

My mom asked me if I would change my last name for a woman, and I said "Uhhh... maybe." Then she asked me if I would change my last name for a man and I quickly said no way. Then she said I was being sexist.

No, the norm of making the "woman" change "her" name for the man is sexist. By changing my last name for a woman, I wouldn't be following a senseless gender role that I strongly oppose; by changing it for a man, I would be. It especially bothers me when people say that it "shows you belong to him". Eww.

There's always that option where you can combine the two last names together. Ex: Smith-Hall. It probably won't sound right with some names, but part of me thinks that some people have never considered that. Personally, I'd change my last name if my hypothetical spouse has a cooler last name. Seriously, mine's just bland.

uh......................*tries to think*.......ooooo ok so my father was a huge sexist and his favorite line ever was "Women should not be soldiers, they are designed to have babies"

Not fun fun fact: One of the main reasons that men are the soldiers throughout history is because Women are far more important than men. It's a common trend that women were trained to fight, but if 10'000 men go to fight and 9'500 of them die, there's 500 guys left who can make many babies. 2'000 women means a max of 2'000 which in the case of tribes and smaller civilisations, would pretty much destroy them.

So in an odd way, the sexism surrounding women not being soldiers comes from men being expendable and women being really important... xD

That is very true and is the way that I've always explained my position on the issue.

Now for a sexist comment, "Women are too emotional to handle..."

"Guys only think about sex" like if they know you from childhood or something, if you label all males like that, please, go hang youself

"Get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich, wench."

A friend used to tell me this everyday. He was joking, but it didn't stop my beautiful comebacks.

Phantasmal Fingers

And now - simply for variety's sake - an utterance which sexists everywhere may find somewhat annoying... :o

"Right! That's it! Shove it up your big, fat, prejudiced sh**hole you obnoxious, two-faced, mealy-mouthed, sexist tw*t!" :D

Phantasmal Fingers

:ph34r:

uh......................*tries to think*.......ooooo ok so my father was a huge sexist and his favorite line ever was "Women should not be soldiers, they are designed to have babies"

Not fun fun fact: One of the main reasons that men are the soldiers throughout history is because Women are far more important than men. It's a common trend that women were trained to fight, but if 10'000 men go to fight and 9'500 of them die, there's 500 guys left who can make many babies. 2'000 women means a max of 2'000 which in the case of tribes and smaller civilisations, would pretty much destroy them.

So in an odd way, the sexism surrounding women not being soldiers comes from men being expendable and women being really important... xD

That is very true and is the way that I've always explained my position on the issue.

Now for a sexist comment, "Women are too emotional to handle..."

My brother has said that before. Luckily that is an area where he can't gender slap me because I am very apathetic and indifferent even during most tense times

anodyneinsect

Most sexist thing I was told was by a psychiatrist who was convinced that I shouldn't worry about college since I would someday marry and have children.

Most sexist thing I was told was by a psychiatrist who was convinced that I shouldn't worry about college since I would someday marry and have children.

I have a great aunt who basically thinks I'm a failure because I finished college without finding a husband, and then decided to go to grad school instead of immediately starting a family. She of course, doesn't care that my male cousin who's several years older than me isn't even dating anyone.

But I can write off my great aunt as just being a grumpy old person stuck in the past. It really sucks that there are people like that who are psychiatrists though :/

• 1 month later...
anodyneinsect
On 10/18/2016 at 4:22 AM, deltaX said:

I have a great aunt who basically thinks I'm a failure because I finished college without finding a husband, and then decided to go to grad school instead of immediately starting a family. She of course, doesn't care that my male cousin who's several years older than me isn't even dating anyone.

But I can write off my great aunt as just being a grumpy old person stuck in the past. It really sucks that there are people like that who are psychiatrists though :/

That's gotta suck. It is really a pain when family start getting on your case about dating, marriage and children like you are the one responsible for ruining everything. I have come to believe that people who have treated me like this in the past are extremely selfish.

Fluffy Dragon

when a woman gets mad or annoyed or mad that they're on their periods... Like really... No.. What does my biology gotta do with you being a dickhead and doing something stupid

Luftschlosseule

My mother can't get over the fact that I have female and male friends. Because female-male friendship has to be the step before the romantic relationship, and not valid friendship - until you met them because they're friends of your husband. Then it's okay.

I don't choose friends. Friendship happens.
That I am not a woman is an entirely different topic, but in that case I don't blame her.

littlepersonparadox

Prof the other week "The only way men are oppressed is that women tend to get custody. That's it and it's a small price to pay for being in charge of everything." 

-Like yes women have gotten the short end of the stick plenty of times but there is still a lot of norms that hurt men, I.e. "Real men don't bleed, real men don't cry, Men play with action figures and not dolls, men can't wear dresses, men need to prove how manly they are by fighting / working out, /taking care of his women', wants sex all the time etc." its a lot shoved in there plus the norms that hurt both, i.e.the whole  Boy's will be Boys thing. 

Archived