Binder wearers, do you take them off when surrounded by people who accept your gender?

Sage Raven Domino

Sage Raven Domino

I've heard that binders are harmful if overused. And I don't make assumptions about one's femininity basing only on the chest size, as there are breasty men too, including myself (to some extent) and of course most Kilnefelter sufferers. So I think it makes no sense for anyone to wear a binder if I'm the only other person around. I don't care much about what clothes others hide their nipples with (but I don't like total nudity). I'm likely not alone in this - I think that those who accept the concept of chosen gender won't deem you feminine if you don't want them to and come out to them about your gender and don't bind in their presence.

Imho, wearing as comfortable clothes as possible is one of the biggest joys of agenderness :)

Disclaimer: I'm asking mainly those who're not dysphoric, as dysphoria may be an obvious reason for binding but I'm looking for other reasons. Because I treat genders as stuffy theatrical masks that people have to wear for social reasons, I fail to understand why one would want to wear a mask when it makes no difference.

Ehh, it depends. :mellow: Obviously, I wear my binder when I'm dysphoric (thankfully, I experience it seldom and low intensity). But I also wear it in other situations. Like, when I'm wearing more masculine clothing, I like to wear my binder. I just like the way that my flat chest looks with my "men's" clothes. It's an aesthetic preference. I also have a high quality binder, so after about an hour of wearing it, I forget that I'm wearing it because it's pretty comfortable.

It's true, I tend to wear it more often around people I'm not out to (mostly because I'm not out to most people), but I could see someone doing the opposite. If someone's too nervous to wear a binder in front of those they're not out to, wearing a binder in a safe space is great practice for getting used to it. Some people just like the way their body looks in it, others do connect cleavage with femininity and want to take a break from having it.

While AMAB individuals may have as much cleavage as AFAB individuals in some cases, that cleavage is rarely sexualized/gendered as an AFAB's cleavage is. I mean, I've heard people refer to girls with large breasts as "grown up/a real woman" or even "gifted by God." Suffice is to say, cleavage tends to be connected to being a "real" woman the larger it is.

Mezzo Forte

Whether I bind or not is technically subjective, because I don't own a binder, but I have compression sports bras that flatten me decently enough that I use for binding. (I hate calling them "bras" though, so my best friend took to calling them "sportswear" instead.) I mostly bind for my own mental health, but I take them off for my physical comfort when I'm in my apartment/sleeping.

When I have people staying the night with me, I usually just wear sportswear that's one size too big underneath my shirt to sleep. I think more of that is for their comfort because I'm afraid of making people feel awkward by seeing my chest through my clothes. Illogical, I know. Back in high school marching band, I sometimes changed with the guys because I didn't want to trek to the damn bathrooms just to switch shirts. Some of the guys asked to stop because I made some of them uncomfortable. I get really paranoid about being inconsiderate, so now I worry way more than I should about stuff like that.

When I know someone well enough that I know they won't be uncomfortable, then I don't bother with the sportswear. Generally, if they're that close to me, then they're accepting of my gender and who I am in general anyways.

Archived