Mars One

skymessenger

http://www.mars-one.com/

There is a huge NASA project being extensively planned. Basically, Nasa picked around 1,000 people so far and starting sometime in 2024, groups of four will be sent to Mars. Goal is to colonize Mars. Of course catch is, those people can never EVER come back.

Plan is still being developed and it could still fail since it needs 6 million USD funding plus proper ships need to be built.

I'm curious. What would you guys think of this mission? Support? Against it? Would you go to Mars and never return? Thoughts?

Personally, I don't think we should be doing that QUITE yet. We still have a lot we don't know about Mars (barely anyone has been there). It'd be good to gather more research. Also, we do need more technological advances.

And did NASA really think this through? They're sending people to a place with no air or water. How are they going to survive for the rest of their lives? What are the people supposed to be doing there anyways?

What we have to realise is that this mission will go ahead in 2024, we are going to see some technological advances before then so that's not an issue, a breathable lasting atmosphere can be developed on the planet so air shouldn't be an issue, water can be recycled so that won't be an issue.

I think the big worry is that its a one way trip, if something major happens that's it, game over, communication to the planet from what I've read is delayed drasticly, so the team on Mars will have to be self sufficient.

I think the lack of contact could be a major game breaker. Nasa are starting with four people, and one thing shows like Big Brother have shown us, people trapped together can blow up at any second which could cause serious issues later on, we are q very social species and yet these people will be forced to interact with the same people over and over.

Would I go if given the chance? Hard question, probably not, its the fact I'll be stuck with the same people for years and that NASA could pull funding off at any time.leaving you and the team dead.

Interesting that you should use "NASA" three times in your post, which seems (on quick inspection) to be three times as much as it's mentioned on the actual website. Mars One is NOT related to NASA. They are trying to create a new private space industry.

A friend of mine was the major proponent of Inspiration Mars, and he did get NASA involved. However, the technology and the political will aren't available yet. Inspiration Mars closed down, but you can still read about them on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspiration_Mars_Foundation One of the core ideas behind this 501-day mission was that the crew should be an older married couple, so they can have sex together while they are flying.

I don't think that "Big Brother" teaches us much, other than people in a situation controlled by producers who want to see conflict will end up in conflict. The whole setup is intended to provoke blowups and breakdowns. If they don't get enough - "It's not good television" - then they will force the housemates to do some activity which will create conflict. The way to survive on those reality shows is to push the others out the airlock. I don't think that's a good way to run a Mars mission.

Archived