Any Spanish speakers who can caption a video on asexuality? / ¿Puede alguien subtitular un video sobre asexualidad?

virtua

Someone from the YouTube channel SpanishQueens shared their thoughts on asexuality in a recent video.

It looks to be an interesting video in which someone who is not asexual shares their opinion on asexuality but I unfortunately couldn't catch much of what they said. Is there anyone fluent in Spanish who would be able to transcribe the video into Spanish and possibly translate it into English?

El canal de YouTube SpanishQueens tiene un video reciente sobre asexualidad.

¿Hay alguna hispanohablantes que pueden transcribirlo y traducirlo al inglés?

I gave it a shot but there were some bit I couldn't catch because I'm not familiar with his accent, and other things I just wasn't sure how to translate because it's just.. a different Spanish from the one I'm used to I guess XD

But here, the .... means I had no idea what he said, and I put little comments of mine or guesses or stuff in between ( )

Hello Queens

Hello everyone I’m Tim(?) from channel .... and I’m here ... because (I think he says because Spanish Queens invited him.... that’s a valid excuse, good, good yeah. .... I’m going to talk about an .. topic.. I’ll introduce it. The thing is that nowadays it’s pretty normal to tell your parents, “Dad, mom, I’m gay”, “Dad, mom, I’m lesbian”, and I’d even dare say that it’s also normal to say “Dad, mom, I don’t feel like I’m in the right body (I don’t feel like this body belongs to me (I wouldn’t normally hear it said like that in Spanish but that’s what he actually said))”. I think that’s what they ask themselves, correct me if I’m wrong.

But the thing is that, what if you had to tell your parents something that not even you understand? I mean, how the hell(not sure that’s the correct expression.. I’m not familiar with the kind of phrases they use from wherever he’s from) do you tell your father and your mother that you’re asexual? How? And how do they understand? The thing is that I think that asexuality is hard to understand even for people that are open-minded. And I find it interesting that in a psychology class our professor presented it to us like that ...(another expression I’m not familiar with). I don’t want to get into a bunch of psychological theories but he as a psychoanalyst thinks that asexuality is a thing about censures.

He sees asexuality as a censure of the environment and culture. Ever since you’re a kid they put in your head that no, no, sexual desire is wrong, that it’s bad; and your own body auto-censures you and limits yourselves, forbids any sexual desire. He gave the example of nuns and priests who didn’t have any kind of sexual desire because of Christianity.... he knows more than I do but then I had a doubt; how is it possible that there are so many asexual people who have never been censured by any type of religion, environment, culture, anything. So then either my professor’s explanation isn’t entirely right, or he didn’t explain it well, because I think there are some loose ends there.

Asexuality is defined as “the lack of orientation and sexual (he keeps saying what I’m translating as “desire” but for all I know they use it more as “attraction” where he’s from). Asexual people don’t feel any type of sexual or physical attraction (he actually said attraction now) towards any other person; and they don’t feel desire for sexual pleasure. Curious (probably more like interesting). It’s an interesting topic.

And I’ll go back to my psychology class when my professor introduced the topic of asexuality, my friend Ines stood up and said, “How the hell can they not feel any sexual desire? It’s probably just that they’ve never done it right... (not sure how to translate that but basically she thought that it just meant asexual people just need “a good lay” to realize they weren’t asexual) .. or maybe they haven’t found the perfect person, or maybe Ines they just don’t have any kind of orientation. In other words, asexual people just care about sex about as much as they care about (a pair of dirty socks.. I made that up so you got the idea but I have no idea what that expression meant). However, there are a lot of people like my friend Ines who don’t understand that and even if it’s pretty involuntary it’s another type of discrimination. They’re discriminated against because people can’t wrap their heads around a life without sexuality. And since we’re in a process of integration of the collective LGTB, why don’t we add an A and normalize everthing a bit? I’m just saying, I’m just suggesting that.

I stopped around 3:07 because then he just says "thanks for letting me be here" and stuff like that.

I hoped this helped and it was more than you could catch, but if there's someone who speaks a closer Spanish to his and can tell what he's saying better than I can then by all means go ahead :)

I hoped this helped and it was more than you could catch, but if there's someone who speaks a closer Spanish to his and can tell what he's saying better than I can then by all means go ahead :)

Thank you! That was very helpful since I was only expecting a transcription in Spanish that I (or someone else) could then translate into English.

As Liebelit said, if someone else wants to provide a transcription in Spanish or another English translation, then feel free to do so.

• 4 weeks later...

I gave it a shot but there were some bit I couldn't catch because I'm not familiar with his accent, and other things I just wasn't sure how to translate because it's just.. a different Spanish from the one I'm used to I guess XD

But here, the .... means I had no idea what he said, and I put little comments of mine or guesses or stuff in between ( )

Hello Queens

Hello everyone I’m Tim(?) from channel .... and I’m here ... because (I think he says because Spanish Queens invited him.... that’s a valid excuse, good, good yeah. .... I’m going to talk about an .. topic.. I’ll introduce it. The thing is that nowadays it’s pretty normal to tell your parents, “Dad, mom, I’m gay”, “Dad, mom, I’m lesbian”, and I’d even dare say that it’s also normal to say “Dad, mom, I don’t feel like I’m in the right body (I don’t feel like this body belongs to me (I wouldn’t normally hear it said like that in Spanish but that’s what he actually said))”. I think that’s what they ask themselves, correct me if I’m wrong.

But the thing is that, what if you had to tell your parents something that not even you understand? I mean, how the hell(not sure that’s the correct expression.. I’m not familiar with the kind of phrases they use from wherever he’s from) do you tell your father and your mother that you’re asexual? How? And how do they understand? The thing is that I think that asexuality is hard to understand even for people that are open-minded. And I find it interesting that in a psychology class our professor presented it to us like that ...(another expression I’m not familiar with). I don’t want to get into a bunch of psychological theories but he as a psychoanalyst thinks that asexuality is a thing about censures.

He sees asexuality as a censure of the environment and culture. Ever since you’re a kid they put in your head that no, no, sexual desire is wrong, that it’s bad; and your own body auto-censures you and limits yourselves, forbids any sexual desire. He gave the example of nuns and priests who didn’t have any kind of sexual desire because of Christianity.... he knows more than I do but then I had a doubt; how is it possible that there are so many asexual people who have never been censured by any type of religion, environment, culture, anything. So then either my professor’s explanation isn’t entirely right, or he didn’t explain it well, because I think there are some loose ends there.

Asexuality is defined as “the lack of orientation and sexual (he keeps saying what I’m translating as “desire” but for all I know they use it more as “attraction” where he’s from). Asexual people don’t feel any type of sexual or physical attraction (he actually said attraction now) towards any other person; and they don’t feel desire for sexual pleasure. Curious (probably more like interesting). It’s an interesting topic.

And I’ll go back to my psychology class when my professor introduced the topic of asexuality, my friend Ines stood up and said, “How the hell can they not feel any sexual desire? It’s probably just that they’ve never done it right... (not sure how to translate that but basically she thought that it just meant asexual people just need “a good lay” to realize they weren’t asexual) .. or maybe they haven’t found the perfect person, or maybe Ines they just don’t have any kind of orientation. In other words, asexual people just care about sex about as much as they care about (a pair of dirty socks.. I made that up so you got the idea but I have no idea what that expression meant). However, there are a lot of people like my friend Ines who don’t understand that and even if it’s pretty involuntary it’s another type of discrimination. They’re discriminated against because people can’t wrap their heads around a life without sexuality. And since we’re in a process of integration of the collective LGTB, why don’t we add an A and normalize everthing a bit? I’m just saying, I’m just suggesting that.

I stopped around 3:07 because then he just says "thanks for letting me be here" and stuff like that.

You did a great job, I speak Spanish and I can say it's a good translation :)

Ps: this guy is from Spain because his accent

• 4 weeks later...

If you have any doubt with some words from Spain I can help because I'm from Spain.

"Hello everyone, I'm Chim from the channel MyChimiyK"

"¿Cómo narices...?" --> "How the hell...? --> I think it's ok. It's an euphemism.

"Nuestro profesor nos la presentó así ¡Zas! ¡de cuajo!" It's like "suddenly", "unexpectecly" (because asexuality is pretty scarcely known in Spain).

I find it interesting that in a psychology class our professor introduced it (the asexuality topic) suddenly/unexpectecly.

"Al igual no lo han probado bien" --> Maybe they haven't try sex correcty/ appropriately or in a good way or enough.

"asexual people just care about sex about as much as they care about ... una partida de petanca" ---> boules /lawn bowling/ petanque game --> It's a game in Spain with bouls that old people use to play. Pictures here.

"les puede atraer el sexo tanto como una partida de petanca" -> they are attracted to sex as much as to a petanque game.

If you need me to translate another expression just tell me.

We have a problem in spanish with people saying that all asexuals doens't have "sex drive" all the time. "Sex drive" and "sexual desire" can be traslated with the same expression: "deseo sexual". So I hear a lot of thimes: "Asexuals doesn't have "deseo sexual"". And that's not true for all the asexuals if we are speaking about sex drive. In this case he says it too. For example, "They don't feel dersire por sexual pleasure"(this is libido). And another things on his definition about asexuality is not okay I think. He have this problem about wrong information all the time when someone speak in spanish about asexuality on the media or even in the spanish AVEN forum.

I think we will have a new video about asexuality in the next SpanishQueens season because I spoke to one of the members asking this. It's a LGBT channel with a lot of subscribers.

¡Muchas gracias, Ene.! It was very helpful to know the expressions they were using in the video. Regarding the issue with the phrase "deseo sexual" in Spanish - have there been other attempts to distinguish between "sex drive" and "sexual desire" in Spanish?

Archived