Full videos from the WorldPride Asexual conference, 8 July 2012

You may have already seen Not Broken Not Alone, Rodney's documentary about the asexual contingent at WP12, as well as the the Queerforce video on the conference.

With the announcement of the International Asexual conference for WorldPride 2014 in Toronto imminent - well within the next week - we have decided to release full videos from London 2012 for the first time, both to look back at the event and to give y'all a flavour of what one may expect in Toronto.

The first video is one you may have already seen from a different angle - a fascinating talk on the history of asexuality by Nat Titman, one of the most notable early leaders of the asexual community.

Comments and subs welcome; the AVEN Project Team channel will also contain the announcement of the coming Toronto conference and other WorldPride and vis related news.

• Like 3
Lord Happy Toast

I've done a fair amount of research on the history of asexual communities, and I feel that this talk by Nat Titman is, at present, the best historical account of "early" online asexual communities that currently exists in the public domain. It's very interesting and well-researched.

• Like 1

Next up is the Visibility and Activism panel.

This actually comes in two parts: first Neth (Bristrek)'s talk on the flag.

(Gotta admit I was once a flag skeptic, but I've come to appreciate its value as a symbol and a unifier.)

Second the panel,

also starring Mary (Cleander), Mark (TheSMMG), Yolly and Jenni (beyondweird), all big names in the world of asexuality.

As before, comments and subs are appreciated!

• Like 1

Afterwards, many people commented that they found the International panel the most interesting part of WP12 - especially the discussion of other languages and cultures, and how this impacts on our understanding of asexuality.

Here is the video, starring Ithaca of Italy, ANameISRequired of Israel, mylittlehazmat of Canada, Ily of the USA, Corinna of Germany and Johanna of Columbia!

Note there are of course important updates since this panel was filmed; in particular, the vis situation in Italy has dramatically improved largely thanks to the efforts of SilverKitsune and of course Ith.

Thanks to the success of this panel, we intend to have an international panel session at the WP14 conference too, perhaps focusing explicitly on language this time.

• Like 1

I think I can safely say that the next speaker requires no intro...

• Like 1
MystiqueSister

Thank-you so much for posting these videos ^_^

You're welcome MystiqueSister!

To conclude our look back at the WP12 con, here is the research panel, featuring Mark Carrigan, Laura Mercedes Poll and Eamonn Keaveney.

A research panel or workshop is another thing we'll definitely be repeating in June! Stay tuned...

• Like 1

This is on youtube, right? Is there a link that you could share with me? I'd like to share this with a few non-AVENites if I can :)

• 9 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator