Sexual vs Allosexual

~Rikki~

That makes sense now. I'm only fluent in English, so I wouldn't get a dutch pun.

Sexual is interchangable with allosexual, it means the same thing (at least that's the impression I was given) :l

I feel the term allosexual is a bit unnecessary as sexual seems to get the point across just fine, but I do use allosexual because I've seen people get offended by just using sexual in the past. I may not agree that "sexual" over "allosexual" is very offensive but I'd never want to make anyone uncomfortable.

I feel the term allosexual is a bit unnecessary as sexual seems to get the point across just fine, but I do use allosexual because I've seen people get offended by just using sexual in the past. I may not agree that "sexual" over "allosexual" is very offensive but I'd never want to make anyone uncomfortable.

Some find it offensive the other way. If one gets offended by one or the other, I just try to remember what they want me to use when responding to them. Much like pronouns, which is preferred will depend on the person.

WhenSummersGone

I used to say sexual but after awhile on here, and reading other posts, I switch to allosexual. I'm wondering what's wrong with non-asexual?

I'm wondering what's wrong with non-asexual?

It sounds double-negativish. Non-asexual would literally mean "not without sexual attraction"

It's like calling a religious person non-atheist. Technically it's not WRONG, but it still sounds clunky to me...

I used to say sexual but after awhile on here, and reading other posts, I switch to allosexual. I'm wondering what's wrong with non-asexual?

One word: Grammar.

Girl Hypnotist Rei

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet, but I heard the main reason many people use allosexual as opposed to sexual is because of issues related to sexualization. I never really bothered to look into the details, but I could probably find some stuff on it. Though I've also heard problems with the term allosexual, so recently allisexual has been suggested too. Of course one could always just say monosexuals and polysexuals.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet, but I heard the main reason many people use allosexual as opposed to sexual is because of issues related to sexualization. I never really bothered to look into the details, but I could probably find some stuff on it. Though I've also heard problems with the term allosexual, so recently allisexual has been suggested too. Of course one could always just say monosexuals and polysexuals.

Dear god :mellow:

Can we just call them people who want to have sex?

Girl Hypnotist Rei

Dear god :mellow:

Can we just call them people who want to have sex?

...But some of them don't want sex. So... Yeah.

Sorry for throwing a bunch of terms at you guys. It's just Monosexual and Polysexual is used by the bi/pansexual community and would actually work for us too, so it's probably what I'll be using.

But monosexual=sexually attracted to one gender. Polysexual=sexually attracted to multiple but not all genders. Therefore, it'd get rather confusing to use those terms as umbrella terms for the various sexual orientations.

Girl Hypnotist Rei

Using asexual as an umbrella term, when it's also a specific sexuality that's under the umbrella is already confusing. I don't find saying "mono and polysexuals" confusing at all. *shrugs*

I don't know about anyone else, but I use Asexuality solely as a sexual orientation, not as an umbrella term. To me, that's what the term 'Asexual spectrum' is for.

asexuals aren't monosexuals or polysexuals, because they're attracted to no genders!

and there's nothing wrong or grammatically incorrect with non-asexual... it's just a very clumsy way of saying sexual.

Asexuals can and sometimes are attracted to genders. Not all asexuals are aromantic. There's still romantic attraction and other attractions that aren't sexual attraction.

and there's nothing wrong or grammatically incorrect with non-asexual... it's just a very clumsy way of saying sexual.

It's a double negative. Double negatives are grammatically incorrect, which is why I can't stand it.

So basically what I've learned from this thread is that whatever word you use someone will hate it for particularly petty reasons.

I mean don't get me wrong I definitely prefer 'sexual' to the other alternatives mentioned here, I just don't think it matters very much in the end.

shockkkk, on 09 Mar 2014 - 6:40 PM, said:

So basically what I've learned from this thread is that whatever word you use someone will hate it for particularly petty reasons.

Well, true. Except none of us think our own reasons are petty. :lol:

Asexuals can and sometimes are attracted to genders. Not all asexuals are aromantic. There's still romantic attraction and other attractions that aren't sexual attraction.

Yes, you're right, but we were talking about sexual attraction specifically (the terms are monosexual and polysexual).

It would have been clearer to say: asexuals are not monosexual or polysexual because they're not sexually attracted to any genders.

It's a double negative. Double negatives are grammatically incorrect, which is why I can't stand it.

There is no way I'm not gonna disagree.

. . .but there are sounds

Just to be technical, because this happens to step on one of my pet-peeves, a- is not a negation. It means without, as in outside of. To read it literally, asexual doesn't say "I am not sexual," it says "I have nothing to do with sexuality." That isn't necessarily how it is used, but, grammatically, there is nothing wrong with non-asexual. : P

. . .but there are sounds

Functionally, it may as well mean not, but technically it doesn't. Not that it matters at all except on obscure points of grammar.

• 2 months later...

STOP! Stop and a thousand times stop with the stuffin nonsense .... They are called sexual ... The end.

I had seen allo and didn't think much of it believing the kiddies have been playing making up pretend names again ... Sure enough some have.

When I typed allosexual into a search engine two things became obvious .... This stupid term when used seemed to be used primarily by some people from aven and the other description was "a made up name by the asexual community"

Have we exhausted the supply of super sillious made up pretend names fir asexuals that we are now trying to infect sexuals with the stupid gene too ?????

Let's not look more foolish than we already do on the label front... Leave them be.... They are called sexuals!

I use the word allosexual to refer to anyone who feels sexual attraction

Asexual = no sexual attraction

Although when descibing yourself i would use sexually active asexual to clear up confusion

"allosexuel" is already used in french as "non-heterosexual". The generalized use of "allosexual" for "non-asexual" will give the french "allosexuel" two different meanings.

Lambda Corvus

I've noticed a lot of people use the term sexual when what they really mean is allosexual. <...>

I've noticed a lot of people presume to tell other people what they really mean. I say "sexual" and I mean "sexual" -- one who experiences sexual attraction.

"allosexuel" is already used in french as "non-heterosexual". The generalized use of "allosexual" for "non-asexual" will give the french "allosexuel" two different meanings.

Hehe. The French language does its best to bust our label choices like that, doesn't it? Just like with celibate vs. célibataire. :D

Archived