Big Bang Theory is painful to watch

Linda Rhaldeen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper

Despite speculation that Sheldon's personality traits may be consistent with Asperger syndrome, obsessive–compulsive personality disorder and asexuality,[5][7] co-creator Bill Prady has repeatedly stated that Sheldon's character was neither conceived nor developed with regard to any of these conditions.[7]

That goes in my signature.

In fact, both of the reference cited here have nothing to do with asexuality. They only mentioned the Asperger's speculation.

Amoeba-Proteus

I liked the show before it became purely about relationships.

Every episode is the same. Sheldon doesn't want to sleep with Amy, Amy's angry cause Sheldon won't sleep with her, Penny and Leonard have some weird encounter, Howard and Bernadette have sex, Raj complains that he doesn't have a girlfriend, and once in a while, somebody wins something or someone gets a new toy.

I kind of gets old... really fast...

I'd make an addition to your summary: "Raj complains that he doesn't have a girlfriend, but others just think he's gay in denial." (I hate the "feminine guys must be gay" stereotype so much...)

I also prefer the earlier seasons with only Penny and the four guys. There was much more scientific stuff back then. Now everyone is paired up or desperately trying to pair up, and it's basically like a geek version of Friends.

I forgot that one.

I liked the overall nerdiness of the show way back when. It seems to be pretty lacking in that department now. Nothing like it used to be...

I'd say that's a good comparison though.

• 9 months later...
apples and oranges

Am I the only one who likes this show?? Yes, it's a mainstream commercial american sitcom. Yes, Sheldon is a caricature and it's horrible that everyone wants to pressure him into having sex.

But I identify with him. Not because I have the same personality as him or because he is a realistic character, but because he gives an outsider's perspective on sex. When he's being mocked about his disinterest in sex, he usually comes out with more dignity than the other, pathetically sex-obsessed, guys. In one Behind the scenes episode, one of the creators describes Sheldon as someone who is "living life on his terms". No, this show is far from perfect but I watch it and the reason is Sheldon, who is the most (likely) asexual charactere that I know of on television. So until someone comes up with something better, I'm gonna keep watching it.

This is from where Sheldon is forced to work with a guy whose work he despises, only to realise that he has solved some problem that he wasn't able to. I love the "knuckle-shake", I find it super cute and funny!

It's painful for me to watch too. He might not be 'asexual' but he still made it clear that he's netiher interested in sex nor in a relationship. He might not have 'asperger's' but he still doesn't like physical contact. He's forced into this stupid relationship (which sometimes gets physical even though rarely) and it's annoying the hell out of me, it almost gives me physical pain to watch. :angry:

Also, not just with Sheldon but with all the guys in the show, I hate that they're trying to normalise them, fix them. It's insulting. :mad:

Don't look too much into it. It's not supposed to be a deep or smart sitcom. It's made up of stereotypical characters (not just Sheldon) with stereotypical format.

I really liked Sheldon in first few seasons (he wasn't a jerk but quirky) and it was still pretty good even after Amy showed up. Amy was a bit aro ace too when they first introduced her. She was similar to Sheldon and their relationship was a bit queerplatonic at first and they suddenly changed her character into a hopeless romantic who's got the hots for Sheldon and at one point Zach (one of Penny's exes). She kept hitting on Sheldon. Sheldon gave in and it went downhill after that. The show became all about romantic relationships with all the characters pairing up and less about friendship. I don't really blame the show though. I mean even friends in "Friends" became couples lol

Well, it is the eighth season after all. I'm going to guess that they ran out of ideas and are writing more formulaic scripts to keep the franchise going. The last two (or three) years have been very successful in terms of the Nielsen ratings, especially when compared to the first two seasons. So I don't see them backing away from the more relationship centered scripts. It seems to be working for them.

drjohnhwatson

I dislike the show so much. And my parents love it and compare me to Sheldon. They constantly say "you do that! That's you, Devon. Oh look, it's Devon on-screen! He could be your husband/boyfriend; he's perfect for you!!" His little quirks that aren't-this-because-I'm-the-writer-and-I-said-so-but-are-similar-enough-you-can-think-they-are is frustrating. If that doesn't make sense, I mean that he can seem like he's autistic (but the writers say no), he can seem asexual (but the writers say no) he can seem like he has OCD (but the writers say no). I don't drive either, and every time he has to be driven somewhere my parents make comments about me in a negatively comic fashion that I don't appreciate. Ugh. I don't think they've ever linked his disdain with relationships and sex to me yet, and I thank everything for that. Not only do my parents do it, but a friend I've since grown away from made the comment on a train once (sigh. I like to ride trains and will avoid planes to ride them whenever possible, just like Sheldon......) was giddy when I revealed my parents compare me to Sheldon and said she could see it.

Slightly off-topic but still on as it involves The Big Bang Theory: 100% never got why self-proclaimed geeks eat this up. I went to SDCC in 2012 and there was merch everywhere for it, in almost every booth. I think maybe the anime booths and things related solely to TV were the only exception. It was ridiculous, and I know people had fits when Jim Parsons wouldn't be at the panel because that's who everyone wanted to see. They relate to the show, and I don't understand it. Yes, the show has geek themes, but have you ever noticed that the laugh track plays whenever they do/say/see something geeky? The people this show is marketed to are the very people who don't understand or harass geeks.

I remember being in the same room when my parents were watching it and there was some line about dungeons and dragons. I can't remember it (I'm terrible with quotes) but the gist of it was that "Girls don't play dungeons and dragons" and it got a massive roar of laughter. I can't understand why geeks would support it, sorry.

EDIT: Thought I'd better say that, while I personally don't understand it, people are free to watch and ardently love whatever they wish and more power to them because that's what keeps the world turning!! :D.

I think they missed a great opportunity to have Raj be gay. Using it only as a joke is demeaning.

drjohnhwatson

I think they missed a great opportunity to have Raj be gay. Using it only as a joke is demeaning.

As I said, I don't actively watch it (I am exposed to it when in the room when my parents do), but I'm pretty sure I think that every time he says or does something effeminate and all the characters side-eye him. There are so many things I wish the Big Bang Theory would or wouldn't do in terms of sexuality, though, haha!

I used to love this show! And then something odd happened I guess. I don't know how it got so bad, so quick.

Sheldon is now the ONLY good thing about it for me, yet every time he's on screen I cringe, because someone is pressuring him into something he doesn't want. Asexual or not, pressuring someone into physical intimacy simply isn't funny to me.

As asexual it's something a lot of us have been through, and it's terrifying to think that people find this funny.

I can no longer watch the show without feeling really angry and upset. So I just don't watch it.

I never thought he was asexual I thought his romantic relationship issues weren't related so much to being asexual as him being so unfamiliar with normal interpersonal relationships he was genuinely confused about the emotional requirement that romantic relationships and sex have.

I never thought he was asexual I thought his romantic relationship issues weren't related so much to being asexual as him being so unfamiliar with normal interpersonal relationships he was genuinely confused about the emotional requirement that romantic relationships and sex have.

Calligraphette_Coe

I dunno, I think it's high brow slapstick using Hi-IQ people as the 'straight guy'. And probably some of the reason it's immensely popular is that it's a left-handed slam on smart people. I get it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's Pee Wee's Playhouse starring geniuses, but it really plays into the stereotypes. I guess they have to do that for the laughs, but it loses me quickly when it goes too far.

I will be another odd one out apparently..i love BBT, i have loved it since the beginning, and its virtually always on TV so i practically always have the show playing lol.

I used to find it mildly amusing, but I never like Leonard, he's too much of a typical 'Nice guy', Howards kind of nerd-laddish humour was just not funny (although he is growing out of that, which is nice), and the whole 'I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested' thing with Sheldon is just a mockery of people on the autistic spectrum. Fed up of 'socially awkward' characters on TV always being assumed to be autistic and then the writers brush it off like 'No, isn't it funny? They just act in a lot of similar ways!' And Sheldon, although he's lovely and by far my favourite character, can be obnoxious and oblivious and he's a totally asexual/aromantic stereotype and I agree with other peoples sentiments that it's ridiculous how they take ace characters and then their idea of character development is to make them more enthusiastic about sex. Grrrrr.

I used to love this show! And then something odd happened I guess. I don't know how it got so bad, so quick.

Sheldon is now the ONLY good thing about it for me, yet every time he's on screen I cringe, because someone is pressuring him into something he doesn't want. Asexual or not, pressuring someone into physical intimacy simply isn't funny to me.

As asexual it's something a lot of us have been through, and it's terrifying to think that people find this funny.

I can no longer watch the show without feeling really angry and upset. So I just don't watch it.

Exactly how I feel. But I think it's actually very good that they have a non-asexual character who's disinterested in sex, because you know, it's not nice to perpetuate the stereotype that every allosexual person loves sex. Some don't really care for it, and I think it's awful that whenever someone doesn't adore sex, everyone (who knows about asexuality) jumps to the conclusion that they're asexual.

I always referred to BBT as "black face for nerds". My main problem with it is that the nerds never succeed unless they act more mainstream. Their problems are never fixed until Penny or one of the 'normal' characters teach them how to do things the 'normal' way instead of whatever new, innovative way the nerds came up with.

If you want to watch a couple geeky guys try to deal with corporate culture, try "The IT Crowd". What I like about it is that everyone is the butt of jokes from time to time. BBT, it is always Raj, Leonard, Sheldon or Walowitz (or whatever his name is) that is the butt of the jokes.

Calligraphette_Coe

I dislike the show so much. And my parents love it and compare me to Sheldon. They constantly say "you do that! That's you, Devon. Oh look, it's Devon on-screen! He could be your husband/boyfriend; he's perfect for you!!" His little quirks that aren't-this-because-I'm-the-writer-and-I-said-so-but-are-similar-enough-you-can-think-they-are is frustrating. If that doesn't make sense, I mean that he can seem like he's autistic (but the writers say no), he can seem asexual (but the writers say no) he can seem like he has OCD (but the writers say no). I don't drive either, and every time he has to be driven somewhere my parents make comments about me in a negatively comic fashion that I don't appreciate. Ugh. I don't think they've ever linked his disdain with relationships and sex to me yet, and I thank everything for that. Not only do my parents do it, but a friend I've since grown away from made the comment on a train once (sigh. I like to ride trains and will avoid planes to ride them whenever possible, just like Sheldon......) was giddy when I revealed my parents compare me to Sheldon and said she could see it.

Slightly off-topic but still on as it involves The Big Bang Theory: 100% never got why self-proclaimed geeks eat this up. I went to SDCC in 2012 and there was merch everywhere for it, in almost every booth. I think maybe the anime booths and things related solely to TV were the only exception. It was ridiculous, and I know people had fits when Jim Parsons wouldn't be at the panel because that's who everyone wanted to see. They relate to the show, and I don't understand it. Yes, the show has geek themes, but have you ever noticed that the laugh track plays whenever they do/say/see something geeky? The people this show is marketed to are the very people who don't understand or harass geeks.

I remember being in the same room when my parents were watching it and there was some line about dungeons and dragons. I can't remember it (I'm terrible with quotes) but the gist of it was that "Girls don't play dungeons and dragons" and it got a massive roar of laughter. I can't understand why geeks would support it, sorry.

EDIT: Thought I'd better say that, while I personally don't understand it, people are free to watch and ardently love whatever they wish and more power to them because that's what keeps the world turning!! :D.

Just curious, and your nom de plume made me think of this, but did you ever see the Sci-Fy series 'Sanctuary' ? The humorous exchanges between Dr Helen Magnus and the Tesla character struck me as being really excellent!

drjohnhwatson

I always referred to BBT as "black face for nerds". My main problem with it is that the nerds never succeed unless they act more mainstream. Their problems are never fixed until Penny or one of the 'normal' characters teach them how to do things the 'normal' way instead of whatever new, innovative way the nerds came up with.

If you want to watch a couple geeky guys try to deal with corporate culture, try "The IT Crowd". What I like about it is that everyone is the butt of jokes from time to time. BBT, it is always Raj, Leonard, Sheldon or Walowitz (or whatever his name is) that is the butt of the jokes.

People get really riled up when you say "black face for nerds", though, so I'd be careful around who you use the term around. But I've always noticed that too. Which is a reason why I don't understand why geeks are so gung-ho about it. When they wait in line for a movie (like Indiana Jones), when they rush to buy some comic book, when they play a certain card game, when they spend the weekend playing video games, when they collect action figures, etc....all of that activity is set up as a punch line so someone else (usually Penny or one of the other girls) can come in and make a mocking line for an uproarious stamp of approval from the audience.

Semi-off-topic but still sort of on: my mom was deriding people who collect action figures as having "no ambition" and I pointed out the characters from TBBT collect figures and have attained generally prestigious status. She didn't like it and disregarded what I said, haha. Meanwhile here I am, collecting action figures.....

Just curious, and your nom de plume made me think of this, but did you ever see the Sci-Fy series 'Sanctuary' ? The humorous exchanges between Dr Helen Magnus and the Tesla character struck me as being really excellent!

I have not seen it, haha, although I think I've heard of it?? I guess it's good, then?

Calligraphette_Coe

People get really riled up when you say "black face for nerds", though, so I'd be careful around who you use the term around. But I've always noticed that too. Which is a reason why I don't understand why geeks are so gung-ho about it. When they wait in line for a movie (like Indiana Jones), when they rush to buy some comic book, when they play a certain card game, when they spend the weekend playing video games, when they collect action figures, etc....all of that activity is set up as a punch line so someone else (usually Penny or one of the other girls) can come in and make a mocking line for an uproarious stamp of approval from the audience.

Semi-off-topic but still sort of on: my mom was deriding people who collect action figures as having "no ambition" and I pointed out the characters from TBBT collect figures and have attained generally prestigious status. She didn't like it and disregarded what I said, haha. Meanwhile here I am, collecting action figures.....

I have not seen it, haha, although I think I've heard of it?? I guess it's good, then?

I haven't watched Tee Vee for going on two decades. But shows like 'Dead Like Me' and 'Sanctuary' only confirm to me that good writing and great story ideas never seem to win out over slapstick like TBBT in the ratings race to the lowest common denominator. YMMV, but here's a few samples-- keep in mind that Tesla ( who is now a vampire) is always hitting on Magnus, and she usually out-snarks him:

Nikola Tesla: [to Helen] My god, you look so sexy with a gun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nikola Tesla: This is fun, isn’t it? Just like old times, back in London? When was that, forty-two? Forty-three?

Helen Magnus: I prefer not to think about it.

Nikola Tesla: Come on, Helen. Every major spy agency in the world was looking for me. I needed your help. And besides, what’s a faked death among friends?

Helen Magnus: Whose hare-brained notion was it to supply every allied government with plans for your death ray weapon?

Nikola Tesla: Well, I thought they’d all share and that peace would break out. I did. I had my Nobel speech all memorized.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nikola Tesla: Well, I did die a lonely, impoverished, pitiful old man. Thanks for the funeral, by the way. I heard it was quite nice.

Helen Magnus: I faked your death to save your life, so that your work could continue. I think I’m owed an explanation as to your whereabouts since then.

Nikola Tesla: Hey, perfecting the use of electricity and radio waves? Hard acts to follow, okay?

Helen Magnus: Why would the Cabal see you as a threat?

Nikola Tesla: I’m a vampire. Some people are threatened by that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nikola Tesla: When vampires ruled the earth, it was a golden age. Science, art, architecture, all advanced. And after they killed them off what happened?

Helen Magnus: The Dark Ages.

Nikola Tesla: And now everybody thinks that we're allergic to garlic and we can turn into bats at will. It's beyond insulting

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helen Magnus: We’re going to have to fight our way out of here. No killing.

Nikola Tesla: Said the woman with the gun to the vampire.

littlepersonparadox

Sorry, but this is turning into a huge pet peeve of mine: Sheldon. Is. Not. Asexual. His creators have gone on record saying that he is not and this obsession our community has with saying otherwise is driving me a little crazy.

Do you have evidence? Not being rude or anything, just to make your point more solid so I can reference it later.

If you want evdence of them shagging of the idea of any label (a nusanse on its own) Neal deGrass Tyson has a podcast called star talk and the person that plays amy Farafowler was on as a guest star in a episode and they talked about BBT. More spesificlly they dissed the idea of labels saying (paraphrasing here): they are all weird and they all certainly have issues and would be considered insaine somehow, but we don't use labels because you don't need them. And they talk as if the ideas of useing labels is this stupid thing and not using them is this wholly grail type of idea.

I'm sorry but i like the use of labels. They are not something that "defines you and puts you in a box" it's just a means of makeing communicateing about this stuff easier. I know i wouldn't have had conversations about stuff i needed to hear in order to sort my own issues out without them. as JD said in shades after "Labels are there to help you meet similar mined people its not a perfect description of the human condition" So when they shrug off labels as stupid and speaking as if society dosen't need them, they are ignoreing me and others like me who find them useful.

Also they use the no labels thing to poke "fun" at people and try to get out of it. In the early seasons a exchange happens between Penny and Lenerd Penny: "what's sheldons 'deal'? Lenerd: "deal?" Penny "you know man women sock puppet" Lenard: "Actually we have been working under the assumption that sheldon has no deal" - season 1 of course when we come out they are going to think of sheldon. they practically give the defention in the show. so when we explain it as not feeling sexual attraction that's going to be the first thing they think of because the show practically says it in everything but name and they refuse to take responsibility for that.

So a couple episodes back this season. It's prom night for the team and both penny and lenerd tell sheldon in not so suble terms that loseing one's virginity on prom night is a time houred tradion. Sheldon responds obviously worried about possibly being forced into sex with amy by social convention (this is the guy who was connoticly stated by wallowitz earlier in the series as saying "just say it's social convention he'll do it if you say that" about him) Lenerd responds "It's ok no one is expecting you to after all everyone knows you don't have hormones" Cue laugh track. Obviously that was a insult to the ace community even if they don't use labels.

I do like the show, but I have to agree with a lot of the above comments that it was much better before it started focusing so much on relationships. It's starting to feel more like a generic romantic comedy type thing rather than a nerdy, quirky show.

I really don't like Sheldon's relationship with Amy. It reminds me too much of when I was forced into a relationship I didnt want, and because of that I feel awful for Sheldon everytime Amy tries to be romantic or sexual with him. I know the show's creators have said he isn't actually asexual, but he really acts like he is, and I think they missed a good opportunity by not making him aro/ace.

I used to love that show but haven't seen it in a few years (we've unsubbed completely from TV, just use ours to watch DVDs). So I didn't know he had a girlfriend now. But as others have said, people are only assuming he has Asperger's and/or is asexual.

This is my problem with labelling and defining, the misuse of labels on others, the assumptions. It's also an example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. I know someone who is schizophrenic, and so I learned a little about that. Now if I take that little bit of knowledge and go around, even in my thoughts, diagnosing people, what does that serve? Does it in fact taint my interactions with the world in something of an insane way (insane on my part)? If I meet someone who is known to be schizophrenic, does my little bit of knowledge skew my impression of them, in ways that it shouldn't, and taint my relationship with them as well?

Asexuality is of course not something to be "diagnosed" - and in fact that's my point. Only people who are asexual (or in the case of fictional characters their creator(s)) are in any position to say whether they're asexual or not - and almost any label once it's used to help clarify and define winds up also being misused to make assumptions, sometimes completely unconsciously.

It's one thing to take the asexual label and all its variations and apply them to oneself, at the same time not limiting oneself by doing so, only coming up with a more cohesive and relaxed self-identity. It's another to let that become confusing, misleading, limiting, and so on.

Sheldon is Sheldon. That's all.

Be careful with labels.

Calligraphette_Coe

I do like the show, but I have to agree with a lot of the above comments that it was much better before it started focusing so much on relationships. It's starting to feel more like a generic romantic comedy type thing rather than a nerdy, quirky show.

I really don't like Sheldon's relationship with Amy. It reminds me too much of when I was forced into a relationship I didnt want, and because of that I feel awful for Sheldon everytime Amy tries to be romantic or sexual with him. I know the show's creators have said he isn't actually asexual, but he really acts like he is, and I think they missed a good opportunity by not making him aro/ace.

There are three designers and engineers where I work. None of us are married or are in relationships. We hear it all the time, "What's the matter with you?" Even though I'm as androgynous as I can be without people playing the gay card?

People can flaunt their sexual attractiveness all the time, all day long. And it's charming. Just *mention* your intellect and accomplishments, and all you get back is the equivalent of 'slut shaming.' Or an analogue to "I know it works, but try to show a little less cleavage" even when you're put on the spot to *prove* it.

It's also why I didn't particularly care for 'Good Will Hunting'. It completely missed the point that it's Damn Hard Work to be accomplished in STEM careers, and cheapened the hard work in favor of heaping glory on someone who had a chip on their shoulder and acted out in snarky ways. It was a left-handed slap at the very people it was supposed to be idolizing.

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't make him gay. It shows that a guy can be into stereotypical feminine things, like fashion, cosmetics, etc, without being gay. As Raj once put, he's meterosexual. It's why I get frustrated at shows that portray tomboys, like Mulan, as a lesbian because it falls into the stereotypical "tomboys must be lesbians" concept.

littlepersonparadox

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't make him gay. It shows that a guy can be into stereotypical feminine things, like fashion, cosmetics, etc, without being gay. As Raj once put, he's meterosexual. It's why I get frustrated at shows that portray tomboys, like Mulan, as a lesbian because it falls into the stereotypical "tomboys must be lesbians" concept.

Really the issue lies with people mis-using labels and the fact that people won't take responsibility in media for things that can create issues. the issues with big bang theory is a mix of things. People are insistant on using labels on characters incorrectly and in turn the showrunners like to poke fun at non-mainstream ideas in damageing ways.

Notte stellata

I agree that it's better to portray a character that defies the stereotypes. Why can't a straight guy like cooking and cry over movies? But sometimes Raj's femininity and his closeness to Howard seems a bit overplayed.

When they wait in line for a movie (like Indiana Jones), when they rush to buy some comic book, when they play a certain card game, when they spend the weekend playing video games, when they collect action figures, etc....all of that activity is set up as a punch line so someone else (usually Penny or one of the other girls) can come in and make a mocking line for an uproarious stamp of approval from the audience.

Yeah, I've been re-watching some old episodes and I noticed that Penny did this a lot. Like, when Leonard said some geeky stuff was fun, she said, "You're using the word 'fun' wrong." And when she started to make geeky references herself, she was like "OMG why do I know this?" As if it's a shame to know some Star Wars plot. I really dislike that mentality. Personally I'm not into most of the things Sheldon and the other guys like, but why can't they find sci-fi shows and 3D chess cooler than parties and football games? How boring is it if everyone has fun in the mainstream way?

I agree that it's better to portray a character that defies the stereotypes. Why can't a straight guy like cooking and cry over movies? But sometimes Raj's femininity and his closeness to Howard seems a bit overplayed.

When they wait in line for a movie (like Indiana Jones), when they rush to buy some comic book, when they play a certain card game, when they spend the weekend playing video games, when they collect action figures, etc....all of that activity is set up as a punch line so someone else (usually Penny or one of the other girls) can come in and make a mocking line for an uproarious stamp of approval from the audience.

Yeah, I've been re-watching some old episodes and I noticed that Penny did this a lot. Like, when Leonard said some geeky stuff was fun, she said, "You're using the word 'fun' wrong." And when she started to make geeky references herself, she was like "OMG why do I know this?" As if it's a shame to know some Star Wars plot. I really dislike that mentality. Personally I'm not into most of the things Sheldon and the other guys like, but why can't they find sci-fi shows and 3D chess cooler than parties and football games? How boring is it if everyone has fun in the mainstream way?

I find nothing wrong with defying sterotypes. Raj can be as feminine as his nature demands. It's only using it as the butt of a joke that I find offensive.

I love cooking. I cry at movies, tv commercials, youtube videos, etc.. I crochet.

I'm also 6' 1" and 245 pounds. While I'm a pacifist, I will defy the stereotype and defend myself when necessary.

In fact, the last guy who put his hands on me, thinking I was a "stereotypical" homosexual, learned a valuable lesson.

I threw him to the ground and explained to him that if he ever put his hands on me again, he'd be jerking off with hooks for the rest of his life. But, that's another story. ;)

I strongly feel that only using femininity as the butt of a joke is offensive. Which is exactly what I meant by my post.

I like the show. I honestly find them funny, but I never take anything seriously from that show, except maybe the fun experiments they show or goof off to that I want to do at home, too xp. I've always considered a show to be a satire and purposely over-the-top recreation of how people normally see geeks/nerds. It's so ridiculous it tells you no way this is real.

nerdperson777

Although the show has changed a lot since it started, it's still my favorite show for now. I'm one of those who identify with Sheldon, but that was before he got in the relationship business. I'm totally oblivious to so many sexual things that go along in life and I have little child feel to how I look at things. But I never desire a relationship with anyone. My favorite character in the show was Amy and I was excited whenever she was on scene, maybe because I admire her for having a RL Ph. D. But I feel like the hopelessly in love with Sheldon is very out of character. I was originally into the show because of all the nerdy jokes so I'd appreciate it if they brought them back. The most recent one in which they did that was the one when Sheldon was teaching a graduate level physics class and Howard was the only student. Although I didn't understand most of what they were saying since I'm just an engineering undergrad, at least they had the nerdy jokes that I could relate to. So right now I don't really "love" the show, I'm just indifferent. I watch the episode of the week and move on with my life, also maybe because I have all my coursework to do.

I'll be sad when the show ends though. The writers are making the show "helically revolving about an inclined plane" at this rate. I want intellectual jokes more than sexual jokes!

I used to like the show a lot, but recently I've found it less and less funny and more annoying. They seem to just be shoving romance on everyone and the whole thing has turned into relationship issues and things, and it seems a shame to me because now it feels a lot like any other show whereas before I liked it a lot better. I used to relate to Sheldon but now it just seems like the writers are forcing him into a relationship that he was never fully interested in, just for the sake of it, even though it doesn't fit in with his character. It annoys me a lot.

Archived