Is there a word for the opposite of demisexual?

deleted00account

deleted00account

When I say "opposite" I mean that when I do feel sexual attraction, I'll feel it immediately when meeting someone I like or find beautiful, but it goes away the more I get to know them if it doesn't disappear almost instantly.

Is there a word for that?

Sort of, there's a term for people that only feel sexual attraction for people they love / have romantic feelings for. I can't remember it off hand, anyone else wanna fill it the blank?

When I say "opposite" I mean that when I do feel sexual attraction, I'll feel it immediately when meeting someone I like or find beautiful, but it goes away the more I get to know them if it doesn't disappear almost instantly.

The closest term to what you're describing would be lithsexual, which is experiencing sexual attraction, but no desire for it to be reciprocated, so it can fade as you get closer to that person.

I really relate to this and I don't remember coming across a term for it either.

Simply put: the closer I am to people, the less able I am to view them or their bodies in a sexual way. For me, there is a clear and solid wall between cuddling / holding someone close and sexual contact. The two do not meet halfway.

I dunno but I doubt 'lithsexual' makes the cut, because this isn't about reciprocity.

That is actually exactly how I feel and I was wondering if there were other people out there like me! I guess there are! Whenever I'm attracted to someone (not sure if I should call it sexual attraction, sometimes it's sexual but sometimes it's not, I guess) I only feel it when I first see them but as I get to know them better, any type of attraction simply fades away into oblivion!

If there are more people like us out there we should make our own word for it.

WhenSummersGone

I've seen a couple of topics about this and I think there should be a word for it. I'm Demisexual so it makes sense that someone would be the opposite.

deleted00account

That is actually exactly how I feel and I was wondering if there were other people out there like me! I guess there are! Whenever I'm attracted to someone (not sure if I should call it sexual attraction, sometimes it's sexual but sometimes it's not, I guess) I only feel it when I first see them but as I get to know them better, any type of attraction simply fades away into oblivion!

If there are more people like us out there we should make our own word for it.

I really relate to this and I don't remember coming across a term for it either.

Simply put: the closer I am to people, the less able I am to view them or their bodies in a sexual way. For me, there is a clear and solid wall between cuddling / holding someone close and sexual contact. The two do not meet halfway.

I dunno but I doubt 'lithsexual' makes the cut, because this isn't about reciprocity.

I feel so much better! I have to admit, since I first discovered AVEN it's been a small source of anxiety for me that I haven't run across any other posts about this. Knowing that this happens to others really puts my mind at ease.

Having trouble finding a prefix or word that would work in this situation. The best way to describe it in two words that I have found thus far is "initially semisexual", but it seems that "semisexual" has already been assigned a definition that doesn't quite fit, and second to that there's "hyposexual", but the prefix "hypo" has medical connotations, as if it's a disorder. Nothing really seems to fit.

deleted00account

There have been a few threads started about this topic. This thread was started about two months ago by someone who is not on the asexual spectrum; the other thread was started about a year ago by another user.

Thank you for the links! It's amazing how vast the grey/asexual spectrum is. So many different experiences.

I can relate to this at least to some degree. Sometimes I feel sexually attracted to images or fantasies. Now the sexual attraction doesn't occur towards real non imaginary persons, but in a way I still "get" what (some) people seem to find sexually attractive at persons. So it's not like I feel sexual attraction that decreases if I get to know the person, but more like I recognize similarities to my fantasies without feeling the attraction (I've never felt sexually attracted to a real person, that's why I identify as asexual and not as grey-A). It's a bit weird and I've wondered why I feel that way. Saying that I might feel sexual attracted to abstract fantasies but not to real people, doesn't explain anything, because even if sexual attraction is often used as if it's the reason for... well... almost anything regarding a/sexuality I actually get the impression as if it's the result of many feelings. Maybe this doesn't seem like some sort of big revelation or something, but many people are discussing sexual attraction as if it would inherently answer things. After all if straight, gay, bi/pan/therearecertanlyoriantionsiforgotsexual people don't feel attracted to people of their usual "targeted" group they don't consider themselves asexual or less sexual. So there seems to be something that makes them feel that their "sexual attraction" may/will occur towards another person - as if they knew they had the ability to draw a connection between their sexual feelings, other people and themselves. And I don't feel like I can do this. When I have sexual feelings I can't really connect them to other people or myself (and fantasies or abstract images are not so much other people as a product of my own mind...).

I really do hope what I just typed makes as much sense to everyone who isn't me as it does to me...

Janus the Fox

It's pretty normal I think to find an instant sexual spark in someones good looks, and I think it's normal for that sexual spark to dissipate over time or when you get to know more about the person.

I don't think it's a word specifically for it, but it sounds extremely common to me. :unsure:

Lithsexual was mentioned earlier, but there's also lithromantic, and I've seen a few people identify with that one.

Lith-anything simply means attracted to someone who is not attracted back to you. So Aqua-ace is quite right, it may be an element of lith that leads people to lose attraction when they get close to the object of their attraction. Lith is usually used to refer to attraction to someone who does not express the same type of attraction in return (ie lithromantic = attracted to someone who is not romantically attracted back), but I don't think it's a stretch to think that lith may refer to all or different types of attraction as well. For example, a lithsexual may also lose attraction if the object becomes romantically attracted to the subject... It's an interesting thought.

Archived