Accepting the suffering

Percivel

I'm going on a limb here to explain what helps me being long time married to my ace wife and choosing to continue our married love...even if it involves suffering. This is a Christain (Catholic) perspective and I hope that all will be accepting and tolerant of my beliefs. I think there is a need for faith openness in this forum as many approach their mixed relationship from a Christian perspective.

Some question "Why stay in a relationship that causes so much suffering?" For me, it's how I view suffering. Suffering is part of life. We can not escape it. Everyone experiences it. Experiencing my own, and my wife's, suffering (particularly caused by our mixed marriage) has led me closer to Jesus. I feel I need Jesus more than ever.

Even God himself, became man, not to just preach...but mostly to suffer and die...in atonement for the sins of His beloved. If God chose suffering for himself...how can we refuse it when it comes our way...especially when it can be turned into great good. By offering our suffering up, by joining it to Jesus's suffering on the cross, we can help turn our suffering into good. Jesus turns our suffering into good by bestowing grace on others. So, by suffering for Jesus, we suffer for the good of others.

Why does God seem to value suffering so much? Is it because he's masochistic? No. It's because suffering involves great self sacrifice. It can make us other centered instead of being self centered. It can help us realize that we need God. Most of all, great self sacrifice can be a great act of love...when we do it for the benefit of others. When we offer our sufferings up to Jesus, we accept the suffering and, yes, even try to embrace the suffering, and make it an offering..an act of love. We are willing to suffer for the good of others...just as Jesus did.

As a Christian, this is how I approach suffering. I have accepted it. I'm still trying to embrace it. But I daily offer it up to Jesus.

My wife is awesome. She is a great gift to me. I just hope that I am a great gift to her.

This was really sweet :) I wish you and your wife happiness throughout your years.

Archived