Aromantics in fiction/medias?

Mademoiselle Pink

Mademoiselle Pink

I hope this wasn't already posted here or in another sub-forum on AVEN but I searched and found nothing specifically on aromantics.

The other day I was looking through a tumblr on asexuality and came upon a little graphic and with it a note on how aromantic asexuals are often pushed to the sidelines of asexuality. It does seem like the general theme in asexuality explanations is 'But we want to have relationships too!'.

I started thinking about the depiction of asexuals in the media (the few that exist). Are there any that are distinctly aromantic?

It almost seems like if there is no potential for romance there is nothing to talk about. Most of the asexual fiction wirtten by asexuals that I've found centered or heavily featured romantic reliashionships.

A lot of people mention Sherlock Holmes as an aromantic asexual and, while I agree, I think it's a bit unfortunate that often these type of characters have an intense obsession. As if not being interested in a romantic relationship creates a void in every human being that must absolutely be filled with something extreme.

This is making me feel a bit... invalidated, I suppose. Does anyone have examples of aromantic aces to cheer me up? ;)

alpacaterpillar

Not exactly "in the media", but Epicurus' philosophy comes across to me as very asexual aromantic - he thought platonic friendships were better than romantic/sexual relationships and as far as I can recall he never married.

I haven't noticed any aromantic figure in medias/fiction so far . I also considered Sherlock as possible aromantic. How about real people I suppose Tesla, , Casimir Pulaski, Emilia Plater, Piotr Wysocki and Zbaraski brothers could have been aro, because there is nothing mentioned about their interest in any gender.

The character Ike from the Fire Emblem games may be Aromantic. Normally in the Fire Emblem games, many characters can be paired with others romantically by attaining the maximum support level with them. Usually the main characters always have a few romantic pairings possible for them. Ike however has none. Furthermore, the only two characters he DOES have special endings with are both also male, though neither is romantic. This causes a lot of fans to ship him with them though.

I personally don't have a preference, but I could see him being Asexual aromantic or homoromantic.

I share your experience of sometimes feeling invalildated because of my aromantic nature. In the past, I have even been victimized by people who sneered at my then-interest in philosophy because, according to them, "the only thing that matters is love." But Friedrich Nietzsche throughly discredite the whole notion of romantic love as a good thing more than 120 years ago, and our society still hasn't caught up to the fact that _Sleeping Beauty_ is just as pernicious as fashion magazines because, while the latter merely promote anorexia, the former gives young children a distorted view of romantic love, human nature and life itself.

Thanks to indoctrination while I was young, I wasted several decades feeling bad about not "finding love." But in the fullness of middle age, I consider myself lucky that I do not degrade and abase myself as so many people do in pursuit of relationships, I do not overlook the character flaws of assholes because I "love" them, I do not throw my life away in order to satisfy a romantic partner, I do not have to compromise my self-determination by letting a romantic partner have a say in my life choices, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. We aromantics are the lucky ones, and we should perhaps be grateful that we are so little known publicly because it keeps the spotlight off us and enables us to live our lives in relative peace.

Professor Henry Higgins in the original G.B. Shaw play comes off as being an aromantic asexual at times.

His enthusiastic reaction when he realizes he's "finally made a woman out of Eliza":

"You and I and Pickering will be three old bachelors together instead of only two men and a silly girl!"

MarieAntoinette

After seeing Frozen, I totally thought that Elsa is an aromantic asexual. Also, I've always viewed Ben Linus from Lost as an aromantic asexual, MAYBE gray-romantic since he kinda had a thing for Juliet. But Ben really only loved his daughter and the island. I'll try and think of more aromantics, I really wish there were more canon aromantic characters

After seeing Frozen, I totally thought that Elsa is an aromantic asexual.

Yeah, I thought that too.

If you like webcomics, the main character in Supernormal Step, Fiona, is a confirmed aromantic asexual (and happy with it too). I kind of identified with her even before that info came out, so it was pretty awesome to have our orientations match as well.

Not sure I know many others. I guess it's hard to show in fiction unless the writer trots it out specifically. I mean if someone doesn't show an interest in relationships, is that because they're aro ace or just that it didn't come up?

Someone from The Asexual Agenda wrote a blog post about a book, How to Say Goodbye in Robot, in which one of the main characters is possibly aromantic and asexual because they show no interest (romantic or otherwise) in other people. The main relationship in that book is a very strong platonic friendship between two people of the opposite sex and there's never anything romantic or sexual between them.

I saw the mention of aromantic aseuxality in today's Dear Abby. Someone had met a sexual guy and become friends, but the guy wanted to go on a romantic date and the individual wrote to Abby on how to politely say "no, let's stay friends". Abby's response is short, simple, and sweet.

I've been pondering, but, Ranma from Ranma 1/3 (an old anime) didn't seem very romantic. He never did anything romantic on his own volition (having to be pressured by outside forces). I don't deny Ranma and Akane like each other, but, Ranma never seems to want more from the relationship than a sparring partner, and not to be hit by any more stone tables.

He always struck me as engaging in the relationship because his father keeps pressuring him into it. But, that could also just be me projecting on to the main character too. It has been a long time since I watched it. I would dig it out and watch again, but it is all on VHS, and my VHS player is broken.

The Great WTF

I've been pondering, but, Ranma from Ranma 1/3 (an old anime) didn't seem very romantic. He never did anything romantic on his own volition (having to be pressured by outside forces). I don't deny Ranma and Akane like each other, but, Ranma never seems to want more from the relationship than a sparring partner, and not to be hit by any more stone tables.

He always struck me as engaging in the relationship because his father keeps pressuring him into it. But, that could also just be me projecting on to the main character too. It has been a long time since I watched it. I would dig it out and watch again, but it is all on VHS, and my VHS player is broken.

I never watched the anime, but the manga series' Ranma was most definitely in love with Akane and they got married at the end of the series. The author is just particularly fond of the arrogant male in denial trope and will drag it out for as long as she can. She did the same thing with Inuyasha.
Mademoiselle Pink

I never watched the anime, but the manga series' Ranma was most definitely in love with Akane and they got married at the end of the series. The author is just particularly fond of the arrogant male in denial trope and will drag it out for as long as she can. She did the same thing with Inuyasha.

It has ben many, many years and I never really watched it (my friends are anime fans so I saw some snippets over their shoulders but never full things) but isn't Ranma 1/2 a bit pervy? All I can recall is girls' chests being exposed at hot springs! :huh:

The Great WTF

Pervy is debatable. The Ranma 1/2 movies were the only ones I'd qualify as pervy and even then it's mild by the normal anime standards. Then again, of course, I mever watched the anime proper. The manga had the standard acceptable nudity for it's era and genre, meaning the occasional boobs (keep in mind exposed breasts aren't nearly as taboo or risque in Japan as they are in Western cultures) but no "male gaze" type moments.

I think it would be hard to really decide of a character is an aro-ace. They could very well be sexual and romantic, and none of the characters in the story tickled their fancy. I don't know, it's never really bothered me much, but that's probably because I'm always highly entertained watching people get in relationships and mess everything up.

Yeah, in Ranma, half the time the boob shots was of Ranma-chan herself, because Ranma was used to walking around without a shirt without it causing any problems. Or soaking wet, because Ranma attracted water. If there was so much as a puddle around, Ranma would find a way into it.

And Ranma never really was pervy, it usually was Not What It Seems. I am also running off of a 15+ year old memory of the show, so I could be forgetting things. I am not trying to say Ranma doesn't love Akane, but, I am pondering if it was a platonic or romantic love. It is hard to tell with Male in Denial trope too.

After seeing Frozen, I totally thought that Elsa is an aromantic asexual.

Hah thanks, I finally realised why I'm so crazy about Elsa xD

I generally loved how stereotypical Disney girl Anna was called out on falling in love with the first guy she ever met and how the resolution did not center around a romantic relationship, but Elsa's storyline was just awesome. I could listen to 'Let it go' all day and still get that happy-proud-moved feeling :) I really identify with her.

randommachine

Although they might be just pre-romantic(or the cartoon just doesn't discuss it), many cartoon characters might be considered aromatic asexual. Usually a side character (aka, the one who doesn't get a love interest once the ratings drop). The one example I can thinks of right now is every character except Rarity from My Little Pony. My head-canon has always been that Twilight Sparkle is an aromatic ace.

Mademoiselle Pink

I agree that many MLP: Friendship is Magic characters seem aromantic asexuals.

Although they might be just pre-romantic(or the cartoon just doesn't discuss it), many cartoon characters might be considered aromatic asexual. Usually a side character (aka, the one who doesn't get a love interest once the ratings drop). The one example I can thinks of right now is every character except Rarity from My Little Pony. My head-canon has always been that Twilight Sparkle is an aromatic ace.

She's purple! It's perfect!!!

The Great WTF

Twilight developed a crush in the movie, though. Granted, I wouldn't blame anyone for pretending that movie never happened. MLP's creator intended to create a show for girls that focused on things other than boys, so I'm not sure how wise it would be to theorize on their romantic orientations. It was never meant to be a part of the story, but that doesn't mean they don't have one.

That, and now that aforementioned creator has left the show, it has started to go downhill so I really wouldn't be surprised if romantic subplots eventually became a thing.

On another note, Paks from The Deed of Paksenarrion is aro ace. I can't believe I forgot to mention her. Luffy from One Piece, too. Both have been verified by their creators.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I identified with Elsa as well, and the "Let it Go" scene. I'd like to believe that about her as well.

What about Bilbo Baggins, or Dr. Who?

The Doctor is definitely not asexual. The 9th Doctor might have been (it's addressed in the episode 'The Doctor dances') and the 11th Doctor was portrayed in a sort of childish/innocent way sometimes, but there have been plenty of hints to him having sex (both for procreation and recreation) and he tends to fall in love with every single one of his companions and ends up kissing quite a lot of people. It's not as family friendly as it seems at first glance xD I liked the way Russel T Davies has written him (as sort of panromantic demisexual), but Moffat's Doctor... naah...

Bilbo is an interesting thought though... There are certain things missing in The Lord of the Rings novels that are usually there in other fantasy sagas like worshipping any kind of deity and probably also sex.

Mademoiselle Pink

What about Bilbo Baggins, or Dr. Who?

Dr Who was always sort of an unofficial asexual but since Steven Moffat has been writing for the show he deliberately made the Doctor sexual. He stated in interviews that he thought everyone had sex and was sexual and therefore it was only natural that it starts showing in what the Doctor did. (I'm trying to find the interview online, but it was a few years ago and of course I can't find it now!)

I've often thought that Henry David Thoreau might have been an aromantic ace. I don't have his work at hand at the moment but to my memory he talks about everything else in the world but sex and romance. He's been a hero of mine since I was a kid. Also, if we're not represented in the media then it is up to us to get things out there. I self published a memoir about being a closeted aro ace and am working on two more books. Swankivy is out there too and a strong force to be reckoned with, she talks about aromanticism a lot and has a real world publisher and a book coming out. I think she even talks about being aromantic in the movie (A) sexual. Maybe it's the crusty old punk rocker in me but DIY is the best answer to "why isn't there what I want in the world?" I leave off with a line from the British anarcho punk band CRASS - "There is no authority but yourself..."

Although there are still very few characters that are really confirmed asexuals, I think it's great that more and more animated characters (and I mean main heroes, not just sidekicks) just don't necessarily express any kind of interest regarding traditional romantic relationships.

For instance, I liked how instead of just telling her mother that she wished to wait for the Right Guy, Merida (from Brave) said she didn't want to get married, ever. I mean, I know she was revolted against the idea of being forced into an arranged marriage and all, but romance did seem to be the last thing on her mind. She was a lot more interested in climbing rocks and riding her horse and I think that was a really nice change. :)

Although Elsa would be hard to prove asexual, I really do like the idea. Before I saw the movie, I was 110% sure that she was going to end up with one of the two men on the poster (it seemed way too obvious that there had to be one for each sister :rolleyes: ), but I was very pleasantly surprised when she didn't. Nothing clearly indicates that she'll never wish to get married, but just the possibility made me identify with her more than I expected to, and I really hope to see more single Disney queens/princesses in the future !

Other than that... I might be exaggerating my interpretation here, but I noticed that Sulley (Monsters, Inc.) and Remy (Ratatouille) also seemed perfectly happy being single, contrary to their lovestruck best friends, just in case pointing that out may count for anything.

Another one that crossed my mind is Light Yagami, from Death Note. The guy's only interested in ridding the world of injustice, and when he finally accepts to go out with a (very insistant) girl, it's only because he intends to use her in his grand scheme. He never seemed to have any feelings for her at all. :mellow:

Oh, and the Shinigami in that universe apparently have genders, but they don't reproduce the way humans do (and I think they're forbidden to try anyway), so does that make them count ? :lol:

I agree that Bilbo is also an interesting one. Then again, a majority of characters in The Lord of the Rings could also qualify, since Tolkien did not seem to be into romance very much...

That reminds me, Mr. Tumnus in The Chronicles of Narnia appears to have always lived alone in his father's house, if I remember correctly.

Who else... There's probably Rorschach (Watchmen), maybe also Susan Calvin in Asimov's stories, and I'm pretty sure about Tintin too (you know, the young reporter from that Belgian comic book of the same name that was recently adapted into a big-budget CG movie)...

These are pretty much all those I can think of right now.

alexandergifford

I can't say that I ever saw Elsa as asexual, I feel she was more of a statement about depression and anxiety than sexuality. It is an interesting thought however.

Having had a major fictional squish on the Doctor for a good majority of my life, I am largely disappointed in Moffat's hand in sexualising him. He's always cared for his companions but in Classic Who it always felt more of a familial, or detached love. And the companions more or less returned that love. Regardless of his sexuality, the Doctor views himself as Earth's guardian and protector, so it's a little gross to me that he began to view humans, beings under his protection and guardianship, as potential romantic and/or sexual partners.

i agree that Light Yagami could quite possibly be aromantic. Asexual on the otherhand, maybe not, he reads more heterosexual than anything else, to me.

azhdarchidaen

The Doctor is definitely not asexual. The 9th Doctor might have been (it's addressed in the episode 'The Doctor dances') and the 11th Doctor was portrayed in a sort of childish/innocent way sometimes, but there have been plenty of hints to him having sex (both for procreation and recreation) and he tends to fall in love with every single one of his companions and ends up kissing quite a lot of people. It's not as family friendly as it seems at first glance xD I liked the way Russel T Davies has written him (as sort of panromantic demisexual), but Moffat's Doctor... naah...

I think it all depends on the canon you subscribe to. You're pretty clearly talking about the New Series (which actually in itself doesn't actually have to be interpreted as sexual/romantic I've never liked seeing it that way, anyways, and it's actually rather easy to headcanon around), but in most other media the Doctor's sexuality and orientation are pretty up for debate. In fact in the EDA novels I'd say, if anything, the Doctor is canonically ace -- Eight's companion comments on the Doctor seeming "uninterested" and "beyond" that sort of thing. And there are a lot of scenes in books like Vampire Science that, to me, are easily read as examples of aromanticism -- not understanding why hugging someone is considered a romantic/sexual act by some people and having to have it explained comes to mind.

In any case, I look at the Doctor as ace/aro (also agender but that's another story and admittedly bordering on personal) -- I know Matt Smith said he hoped to portray an asexual interpretation of the character, and I'll admit I haven't seen a massive amount of Eleven but he managed to do a decent job, by my book. The Lodger is one of my favorite Who episodes because it really seems to get that across.

[[Warning Anime rant ahead]]

1. One thing that really surprised me in Golden Time (Anime) is that we actually have an aro/ace (Takaya Satou), or seemingly aro/ace (or Lithro) character that calls himself to be only interested in "2D girls", as in, anime/games etc, only virtual, draw-based / art girls. I don't know if he will be paired up, i don't think so and if he is i will be quite mad with the story... Come on, it's already so rare...
(He even have an aesthetic attraction moment in the anime, saying how one of the girls are really pretty, and he usually don't find 3D-girls pretty)

2. My favorite characters are usually aromantic-ish or ace-ish, so i will describe some of them:

Well, first of all "HEI" from Darker than black:

We could say that pretty much all the "contractors" in the anime/manga are asexuals and aromantics, sort-of, since they don't feel emotions, they won't do it for fun, they will only do it if it's easier to accomplish their own mission with it (so they don't have the drive/need). They might fake being romantic sometimes. Hei is somewhat of a special case and i don't want to give any severe spoilers but, he, even in the "romantic" relationships that he had, it was more of a sexual thing than a romantic thing, i guess. He's pretty damn cold, since he killed lots of people and still kill as a job. (No wonder this is my favorite anime)

Darker than black Spoilers:

There are two relationships that hei responded to, Amber and Yin, the first was his official girlfriend during the war, which makes me think they were only supporting each other but maybe not that emotional or with that many contact. He seemed to like to have her around.

With yin is very different, he is already all broken, hateful for the world and the relationship seems kinda off. Like he doesn't really like her, sometimes they hug, they sleep together and even manage to have sex, or at least there is plenty of evidence pointing in that direction. But he's always cold about the whole thing.

3. Other nice character to look at is Natsuno Yuuki, from the anime Shiki. There is this girl that have a crush on him, and he doesn't give a damn about it. Yeah... there is all this deal of how he hate the city and his name, and so on. But also a pretty much cold and aromantic guy.

4. Other that i respect is Hibari Kyoya from the Katekyou Hitman REBORN! series. He's also that loner character that doesn't care much about people around him.

5/6. It's really hard to say, since so little is shown about these characters, but, Akagi (from Akagi) and Tokuchi (from One-outs) seems to be at least aromantic, but unsure. They like to manipulate everybody and don't seem to care much about romance. But, like i said, it's hard to say anything about it.

N. In similar ways, we have a lot of those more loner characters, that would be easily classified as aro/ace if they were not really broken inside. Usually they had some sort of trauma, or their beloved ones were killed in front of them, and so on... So they are in fact mad/depressed with the world and then turn into ace-ish/aro-ish characters. In some/most of animes, those characters have their problem "solved" and get paired up with someone in the end... (hate this) [Notable ones: Alphard from Canaan, Lucy from Elfen Lied, Cal Devens from Phantom)

I just read somewhere else that Ned from Pushing Daisies might be asexual? I mean, yeah, he doesn't touch his love interest because that would kill her, but it also seemed like a lot of the time he didn't actually crave physical intimacy and even got uncomfortable because of it.
I really loved the show, so sad that it got cancelled...

I think it's safe to say K-9 is aromantic.

It's likely L from Death Note is too, although most of his personal life was left as a mystery and he's only interested in his cases and case-related things....and eating sweet stuff.

Archived