The New Aromantic Thread (v.1.5)

On 1/13/2020 at 1:49 PM, DarkStormyKnight said:

*immediately buys a plane ticket*

Ha ha you all I was the combat medic for the last raid... Not a pretty sight.  Many lives lost for next to no reason

XD

• Like 1
11 hours ago, cAROlyn said:

Anyone else happy that they never got asked to any school dances?

I actually did get asked to a school dance. It was..... not fun 🤷‍♂️

On 1/19/2020 at 5:47 AM, cAROlyn said:

Oooh yes. And no. I wouldn't have minded refusing in front of everyone just because. Not in a mean way - I'd never attend one in the first place... 

DarkStormyKnight
On 1/18/2020 at 11:47 PM, cAROlyn said:

Yoooo I got asked to one and my literal response was "I don't know" and then walking away what on earth was I thinking???

• Like 1

I think I am aromantic but I'm not really sure. Kissing grosses me out, I hate contact with people except for if I'm really comfortable with them and even then, only a hug and no prolong contact. I will never go up to them and lean on them or something. I've never even had a crush and nobody ever believes me when I say I honestly don't like anybody. Is this aromantic or just antisocial and hating people?

Hey friends, I usually do short essays/blog posts for Arospec and Ace Awareness weeks. Anyone have questions, topic ideas for Arospec Awareness week, February 16-22?

One friend suggested a dialogue with an Arospec person from another culture/ethnic background. Any Latinx, Asian, or African descent Aros want to work on an essay together?

Hi Everyone!

I couldn't read all 60 pages of this thread, but as far as I could I saw some posts that are somewhat similar to my experiences.

I'm 22 and I just recently started thinking about being aromantic. I feel sexual attraction (I identify as bisexual), I feel attraction and affection. I love my friends and family and I desire a relationship. But I always had trouble connecting with my friends who talked about being"in love". This kind of peer pressure led me to believe that not experiencing that kind of romantic love makes me handicapped somehow and I wanted it, I craved it and desperately looked for it, never to succeed. If I talk about relationships I take a rational approach, who would fit my needs most, and noone until now understood, why I wouldn't just wait for falling in love and go for it.

I have only limited experience with relationships, I only had one that lasted 8 months. I enjoyed her company and the phisychal intimacy, and I thought I was in love with her, but looking back I wasn't really, it was more like being very good friends with benefints. 

So yeah I think I might be aromantic, I'm not yet sure how this would effect my life in the future or my relationships. I am very happy that I found this thread It helped me already with my self exploration, so thank you, and thanks for reading!

• Like 1
OwlsOfConfusion
12 hours ago, akki said:

This kind of peer pressure led me to believe that not experiencing that kind of romantic love makes me handicapped somehow and I wanted it, I craved it and desperately looked for it, never to succeed. If I talk about relationships I take a rational approach, who would fit my needs most, and noone until now understood, why I wouldn't just wait for falling in love and go for it.

I completely understand you there. I never dated in high school because I figured what teenager is ready for a serious relationship and I didn't see the point of dating to "hang out". Isn't that what friends are for?

Looking back though, it may have been my aromanticism. There was one guy in school who I'm sure wanted to date me and he told he'd like to get to know me better and all I could blurt out was, "But why?" Even now, I've been on a few dates, just to try, but I just don't feel that romantic attraction.

I find it easier to accept my asexual aspect because it's more physical, I think, so it just feels like something you can't control. But when you hear people saying that romantic attraction is an emotional connection, it just makes you think that there's something wrong with you that you can't feel it. And I know that I do care for other people, so it just makes me wonder why can't I feel that romantic connection?

And it's not like I feel weirded out by other people's romantic attractions; I feel happy for them in real life and in movies, but I just can't imagine myself feeling the same way.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, OwlsOfConfusion said:

I completely understand you there. I never dated in high school because I figured what teenager is ready for a serious relationship and I didn't see the point of dating to "hang out". Isn't that what friends are for?

Looking back though, it may have been my aromanticism. There was one guy in school who I'm sure wanted to date me and he told he'd like to get to know me better and all I could blurt out was, "But why?" Even now, I've been on a few dates, just to try, but I just don't feel that romantic attraction.

I find it easier to accept my asexual aspect because it's more physical, I think, so it just feels like something you can't control. But when you hear people saying that romantic attraction is an emotional connection, it just makes you think that there's something wrong with you that you can't feel it. And I know that I do care for other people, so it just makes me wonder why can't I feel that romantic connection?

And it's not like I feel weirded out by other people's romantic attractions; I feel happy for them in real life and in movies, but I just can't imagine myself feeling the same way.

That's all I've ever felt about the females I've known over the years. I just want to be friends. (Coincidentally, this is playing on my headphones right now:

Hello to everyone. I have a problem. I have a romantic feelings for one girl, but when we were in relationship I couldn't be with her in romantic way. I hardly get used to cuddling and touching. We were dating half of the year. I just couldn't get her what wanted. And I wasn't bored without her, I didn't miss her, all those feelings are terrible, similar to alchohol. When we broke up, it was painful, and I know that I really like her, but...

Can I be aromantic or lithromantic? 

• Like 1
On 2/8/2020 at 8:13 AM, yudji said:

Hello to everyone. I have a problem. I have a romantic feelings for one girl, but when we were in relationship I couldn't be with her in romantic way. I hardly get used to cuddling and touching. We were dating half of the year. I just couldn't get her what wanted. And I wasn't bored without her, I didn't miss her, all those feelings are terrible, similar to alchohol. When we broke up, it was painful, and I know that I really like her, but...

Can I be aromantic or lithromantic? 

Okay, I read this topic, so I can add some information.

My "romantic" relationship was the same as friendship. And I feel really sick about cuddling and touching. Always. It's okay when I touch someone, but in the other was it's strange. It's disgusting. Sex for me is also disgusting,  but well I didn't have one (and didn't want... and don't want). I feel just fine when I'm alone. So here I am.

Hello everyone. I always hear that there are no aromatics and that I'm just selfish and a sociopath. They also say that I'm just ugly, so no one wants to date me. It's a shame to hear that. I value friendship very much. I'm actually a very sensitive and emotional person. And these words hurt me very much.

• Like 1
rainbowocollie

The aro-spec experience is thinking of Valentines day as a way to appreciate your friendships

• Like 3
Lady.Saturnina.94

Who else is celebrating Discount Chocolate Day? :)

• Like 4
Lady.Saturnina.94
33 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

I can't even enjoy the chocolate because of my diet 😕

Aw man. I'm sorry. :(

Hi. Not sure where to post to discuss. I've been on this site for a while. Im Grey Ace. I think I may be aromantic/Grey romantic as well? Can someone describe what it feels like to be aro, specifically while in a relationship? I'm sure it's different for everyone but I'm just trying to figure this out. 

Divide By Zero

It's Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week!!!

Let's celebrate - here's some ice cream for everyone

🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Like 5

Does anybody have any cool ways to show aro pride this week without buying anything? My parents haven't exactly been supportive but I still want to show pride for myself. 

• Like 1
rainbowocollie

Got any green and black or green and grey shirts? :)

• Like 1
AllTimeBubble
9 hours ago, Violivia said:

Does anybody have any cool ways to show aro pride this week without buying anything? My parents haven't exactly been supportive but I still want to show pride for myself. 

I suppose you could paint your nails aro pride coloured, or just like, wear green, that's quite a low-key way.

16 hours ago, AllTimeBubble said:

I suppose you could paint your nails aro pride coloured, or just like, wear green, that's quite a low-key way.

That's a great idea thank you! I never paint my nails but now I will.

I realized I was asexual about 2 yrs ago, agender 6 months ago and am now considering aro as well.

(Overlooking being 10 yrs old and not knowing anything else) I've never pictured myself (or been) in a relationship, romantically or otherwise. I've never been able to wrap my head around the idea of living with someone when you can be on your own.

I don't know how I feel about kissing but sometimes I would like to be physically close to another person (in a non sexual way of course), I don't know if it would count as cuddling though.

I think the only attraction I've ever felt has been either astethic or on the level of 'you seem like a nice person, I would like to know you better'. 

To this day, I've a hard time 'understanding' all the romance in books and movies, it just gets in the way of story 🙄 I remember reading the 5th and 6th Harry Potter books and feeling really annoyed of all the romance, who wants to read about that when you can read about magic and dragons instead 😎

On 2/15/2020 at 3:53 AM, Haoma said:

Hello everyone. I always hear that there are no aromatics and that I'm just selfish and a sociopath. They also say that I'm just ugly, so no one wants to date me. It's a shame to hear that. I value friendship very much. I'm actually a very sensitive and emotional person. And these words hurt me very much.

I'm sorry you have to hear that. Aromantics are real--you're being quoted by another one right now. Anyway, my advice would be to know that what they are saying isn't true, and that it is valid to value friendship over romantic relationships.

33 minutes ago, cAROlyn said:

I'm sorry you have to hear that. Aromantics are real--you're being quoted by another one right now. Anyway, my advice would be to know that what they are saying isn't true, and that it is valid to value friendship over romantic relationships.

Thanks for your support! For a long time I denied that I aromantic. Then I realized that I was confusing romantic attraction with social anxiety. 😅I sometimes miss elementary school. Then it was safe to have friends of the opposite gender.

• Like 2
On 2/15/2020 at 4:53 AM, Haoma said:

3 hours ago, cAROlyn said:

Looking back in my life I've been aro since my early twenties (I'm 58 now). As much as I enjoyed having female 'friends', I never wanted a girlfriend. Figuring out I was aro came many years after I identified as asexual.

• Like 2

Hello fellow aromantics (and everyone else of course😊)!

I'm so glad we have our own thread now.

I don't really know what to say right now,except hi and that i'm aro ace,so yeah....

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
AllTimeBubble

Sorry to put the thread on a down note a little bit aha, but does anyone else feel broken sometimes?

I do accept my romantic identity and my sexuality and I know I'm not broken but sometimes, I'll think about people in romantic relationships and how they look so happy, like I know I don't want that and I'm happy without it but you know when the world at large doesn't show another option it does make me feel broken. Like there's something wrong with me. I know that isn't true but, I feel it anyway sometimes. It doesn't help when whenever I come out I'm met with pity.

• Like 5