The New Aromantic Thread (v.1.5)

On 1/6/2019 at 4:47 AM, PittAce92 said:

As @Bazinga states to my agreement, you can most certainly want/have physical intimacy but not want any romanticism.

This was a definite line of confusion for me learning my way to an aro-ace . It is definitely not easy in any regard, and it wasn't until I delved deeper into both aromanticism and asexuality that these are actually separate, and not related as society would make all of use believe. So you are definitely not alone. :) 

By the way, welcome to AVEN!!!! :):cake:

Thanks. I've been looking at AVEN for just under a year but only just signed up :)

• Like 1
On 1/5/2019 at 4:18 AM, Eveelowthwaite said:

Good I like this mega thread sometimes you just want to say something and see what shakes loose, not always possible when a thread is “dedicated” to one specific topic. On that note anyone sometimes just DONE with romantics and their gushing nonsense? Honestly so gross. 

That could me discussing my asexuality when I come out to someone or when I discuss nudism.

On 1/5/2019 at 8:31 PM, DoubleATripleA said:

Sup, I'm Elise and I recently discovered that I am Aromantic. 

In my case I've known I was asexual since 2005. However it wasnt until a year or so ago that I realised that I was aromantic. I enjoyed being friends with girls, but never felt any urge to take those friendships any further. 

It explained a lot of my 'experiences' when I was younger...

• Like 2
On 1/6/2019 at 8:27 PM, Tuple said:

Yes, I suppose it is, although at the time it was earth shattering because (a) I had always thought that sexual orientation was binary, that is gay or straight, and it never really occurred to me that it's not (I had heard of bisexuality and had some vague idea of what  but didn't really understand), and (b) it shows that sexual orientation is a spectrum and I had never thought of it that way before.

I couldn't have said it better! "I don't act completely straight and I'm not gay so what am I?"

As soon as I found out about asexuality (and much later aromanticism) I felt so relieved. I didnt dwell on my identity before hand but it was like my mind's feeling about myself was 'crystal clear' after the discovery.

• Like 2
Eveelowthwaite
On 1/5/2019 at 6:32 AM, Neutral nerd said:

I totally get that. It's so tiring when everything is made for another group, and i may as well not exist to the media. I've seen far too much and am just tired of it. 

That’s exactly how I feel!  Lately I’ve been just dying for movies and tv that have little to no romance in them. I’m just tired of stories where falling in love and finding “the one” is the biggest issue the hero will face.  Consequently, Thor Ragnarok is a current fave, along with any episode of M*A*S*H* where any romantic tomfoolery takes a back seat to over the top comedy and bad puns.  I think what’s most frustrating about love stories is the absolute illogical behavior of those in love, I just don’t get it!  Even in reality I don’t get it. I just don’t understand the drive and it’s never explained just assumed as a given that others will “get it” so the whole story becomes nauseating and infuriating! 

• Like 1
On 1/8/2019 at 4:28 AM, Homer said:

That's precisely why I don't get "labels". Why search for an "identity" instead of just rolling with whatever you feel, no matter what it's called? There'll always be something that won't make 100% perfect sense. To me, a "label" would never be worth what you describe as an identity crisis.

I agree with this. Going through the motion on "rolling with whatever you feel" as you put this with great words causes less stress in trying to figure it out this way (at least with my personal experience).

• Like 1
Fluffy Femme Guy

All words are descriptive, not prescriptive.

Anything that is not ordinary and concrete is by it's very nature going to have some level of ambiguity when converted into language.
The less concrete the subject that vocabulary is attempting to describe, the more fuzzy and less well-defined the intended meaning any collection words will have.

The labels are still very useful, but they are a type of shorthand, or abbreviation.

We couldn't have most of these conversations here without these terms, but they will always be incomplete and imperfect as descriptors on their own and will always require more conversation or discussion.

Language can (and does) liberate us, but it can also trap us. It's a representation, not the actual reality.

'The map is not the territory'
'All models are wrong. Some models are useful.'

Sorry about the ramble, but it's good to bring up the problems with language and vocabulary when people here start getting antsy over various terms the Ace and LGBT+ groups have coined.

• Like 6

Hey guys

I am new to all those topics.

I am 23 years old, female, and no idea what the hell i am doing.

I have only recently started thinking about my sexuality and my life really.

I am not pretty, overweight, socially absolutely awkward, etc.

Since none of my dates have led anywhere, mainly because i just wouldnt fall in love, although i reall wanted too, i started thinking maybe i am lesbian, but i am not really attracted to girls..then i thought i am a sexual, would explain it all i thought.

but then again - i do have a libido, i just never actually enjoyed sex. why? cause id probably need the romantic part amd the relationship part to it, but since i just cant fall in love thats not something i will ever get to experience.

and honestl i am just sad, i dont know what to do. I really want a person by my side, just to have someone to share things with, to be someone most important person. but ill never be cause fuck me i guess.

Amd even if i try to keep it casual, people shoe me very quickly they are not interested.

So not only am i apparently aromantic, i am also ugly af and dong get anyone interested in me anyway. 

On 1/27/2019 at 10:50 PM, xsofiixx said:

Hey guys

Since none of my dates have led anywhere, mainly because i just wouldnt fall in love, although i reall wanted too, i started thinking maybe i am lesbian, but i am not really attracted to girls..then i thought i am a sexual, would explain it all i thought.

but then again - i do have a libido, i just never actually enjoyed sex. why? cause id probably need the romantic part amd the relationship part to it, but since i just cant fall in love thats not something i will ever get to experience.

and honestl i am just sad, i dont know what to do. I really want a person by my side, just to have someone to share things with, to be someone most important person. but ill never be cause fuck me i guess.

Amd even if i try to keep it casual, people shoe me very quickly they are not interested.

So not only am i apparently aromantic, i am also ugly af and dong get anyone interested in me anyway. 

Hello and welcome to AVEN! I'm sorry you're feeling really terrible right now, and I hope you feel better and learn to love yourself and all your qualities. It does sound like you could be asexual and aromantic. It's not unusual for asexuals to have a libido and for aromantics to desire a person by their side, in fact aromantics can still pursue a romantic relationship if they so desire or what's called a queer-platonic relationship, which is a strong relationship between friends which often involves romantically encoded things if that makes any sense. Aromantics often feel lonely and scared that they'll be alone, especially when they first discover themselves, and I hope that you, like many of them, will find peace of mind and become happier with yourself. Society really doesn't help us feel less lonely when we're not in a romantic relationship. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask away. We all want to support you and most people here are really nice.

As for the rest, you don't have to be attractive to hold value, and really, people are attracted to all sorts of different people. Please take care of yourself and I would encourage you to try and look at positivity daily, until you believe the things you read.

• Like 2
WoodwindWhistler
On 1/27/2019 at 5:16 PM, PittAce92 said:

I agree with this. Going through the motion on "rolling with whatever you feel" as you put this with great words causes less stress in trying to figure it out this way (at least with my personal experience).

Ooo goodie, it's time to dust off my old standby: Inuits have dozens of words for different snow. Aborigines have dozens of words for different sand. Germans have dozens of different words for flavors of beer. I think we have the right to invent as many terms as we feel like frolicking with to describe internal experience. 

• Like 1
WoodwindWhistler
On 1/27/2019 at 9:50 PM, xsofiixx said:

Hey guys

I would suggest instead of trying to force falling in love, and doing the dating scene thing, figure out what activities you are interested in, and build connections to multiple people based on that shared interest. Find a group who gets together to do a craft, workshops, or debate, or volunteer, or otherwise work towards something. Get involved in your local museum, library, etc. Find out about events. Build your social interaction comfort without the specific pressure of finding a life partner.  

I never really understood meeting up with a person with no context anyway, tbh. It seems much more natural and organic to meet people other ways. 

• Like 2

I met a girl about 15 years ago thru a common interest. This was a couple of years  before I identified as asexual (and MANY before I found out about aromanticism).

It made for some awkwards moments on my part. We're still friends and I finally came out to her as aro ace earlier this month. She was completely cool with me identifying as such and that it had NO effect on our friendship as far as she was concerned ☺

• Like 1

Thanks for this thread! Started working out recently why I had certain (what I saw as) issues in the area of romance and dating, never being able to understand what emotions I was supposed to be feeling (at best feeling no differently about the person than I did my platonic friends) and being disturbed by how unbothered or relieved I was when "romantic" relationships ended (usually very quickly).

As a side question along the lines of the cuddling question at the opening of this thread, other than parents or pets never been comfortable even just platonically hugging people and cuddling has always been a no-no, which living in France is somewhat awkward) how would others react in regards to public displays of affection by other people in your social circle?
I always feel highly uncomfortable in these situations and have an immediate flight reaction, I will sometimes override it and just stare at a fixed point in the distance until it ends or more often make an excuse and go somewhere else. Wanted to see if this may just be due to social awkwardness so I can work out how to address it properly.
Thank you! :)

• Like 2
On 1/26/2019 at 3:44 AM, Eveelowthwaite said:

along with any episode of M*A*S*H* where any romantic tomfoolery takes a back seat to over the top comedy and bad puns.

Absolutely! Plus, M*A*S*H has aged very well, as the theme is as relevant today as it has ever been! Thank you for bringing this up!

• Like 1

Welcome to AVEN!! :):cake:

On 1/31/2019 at 2:54 PM, Druss said:

As a side question along the lines of the cuddling question at the opening of this thread, other than parents or pets never been comfortable even just platonically hugging people and cuddling has always been a no-no, which living in France is somewhat awkward) how would others react in regards to public displays of affection by other people in your social circle?
I always feel highly uncomfortable in these situations and have an immediate flight reaction, I will sometimes override it and just stare at a fixed point in the distance until it ends or more often make an excuse and go somewhere else. Wanted to see if this may just be due to social awkwardness so I can work out how to address it properly.

I personally feel the same way for situations like these. Usually, I just let others initiate the greeting, which for me is oddly just either a handshake or a wave. :o i wish I could be more of help, but this is all I really have. :mellow:

• Like 1

As a kid I HATED it when my mother hugged me. I would struggle to squirm out of her 'clutches'. 

That being said I have no problem hugging friends of both genders nowadays.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if I might be aromantic. I mean. I kinda of have been lowkey wondering for a while now. Part of me likes the idea of romance or 'liking' or 'loving' someone as portrayed everywhere in some kind of way, and I guess I *want* that, but in reality... that just doesn't seem to be the case. Of actually experiencing it and... it being... 'there'(just like how my sexual attraction to people does not and has never existed).

Even with the one real 'relationship'/boyfriend I had, really-there were no 'feelings' that I understand to be romance, or loving beyond the 'you're my friend (or family) and so I really care about you.' There was just. Nothing. We had really good deep conversations and a closeness and cared about each other and had known each other for yearsssss so I gave it a try, but looking at it now, and also why I broke it off, is because there was just nothing. There's never been anything.

And I've pondered that in the past, and wondered how the heck you 'tell', how you decide 'oh I like this person somehow more than all the other people, consistently, and I think I'd like to spend my life with them or spend more time with them than anyone else'. I've just never understood that. It's like some weird mystical magical fairy dust stuff, or something. I get it in one sense because it(romance/the idea of romance), like sex, is everywhere; but beyond that, for me, it just isn't.

I'm not sexually attracted to people... and I am kinda wondering if I'm aromantic too. If I had more real life friends and we were around each other more and all comfortable with it, I'd 'love' to give each other shoulder massages, or be cuddled or hold hands or whatever, because that's nice yeah, if you trust the other person(s) enough to be touched and stuff and whatnot. But that's not the same as romance...
my thoughts are getting all jumbled up so I'll stop there.

• Like 5
Divide By Zero
21 hours ago, Shiloh_Rose said:

And I've pondered that in the past, and wondered how the heck you 'tell', how you decide 'oh I like this person somehow more than all the other people, consistently, and I think I'd like to spend my life with them or spend more time with them than anyone else'. I've just never understood that. It's like some weird mystical magical fairy dust stuff, or something. I get it in one sense because it(romance/the idea of romance), like sex, is everywhere; but beyond that, for me, it just isn't.

^ this, so much this

• Like 1
Fluffy Femme Guy
22 hours ago, Shiloh_Rose said:

I kinda of have been lowkey wondering for a while now. Part of me likes the idea of romance or 'liking' or 'loving' someone as portrayed everywhere in some kind of way, and I guess I *want* that, but in reality... that just doesn't seem to be the case. Of actually experiencing it and... it being... 'there' ...

That's been my experience too. It all sounds nice on paper, but put me in that situation and the whole thing just feels strange and I'm not connected to it at all.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tuple said:

^ this, so much this

Yeah I just... don't know. Because that too, has happened, it always happens with 'new' friends whether I mean it to or not; we'll spend much time talking to each other and kinda getting to know each other, hanging out (online anyway, irl everyone is on different pages and we've drifted apart and life things)... but then I will be peopled out or it will sort of die down to a comfortable 'at some point during the week' talking to each other thing. So how is... lost train of thought.
So if I'm like that with everyone, then everyone is the same, and its all a friend thing because it's never anything more, and if you're choosing someone for life isn't there supposed to be more? But I don't experience that 'more' and I'm not good at maintaining thought about anyone consistently and... everything else.
I just don't think it's there. I wish it were, but.

The fact I was raised in the church just exacerbates the issue even more, because I wasn't allowed to do a lot and we didn't/don't really talk about these things, plus asexual(though didn't know it at the time), shy, introverted, PACC(didn't know about it at the time)-so I think that's why in the past I was so confused about everything. Like literally just really enjoying someones company (which is the case with most all of my friends, otherwise we wouldn't be friends. : p ) I was like 'omg does this mean I like the person? Do they like me?' like even just basic friendship level.
But there's nothing 'above' that, and I still don't understand really or experience or anything whatever it is that is supposed to make it apparently clear to me that... 

I just can't choose, I think. I can't tell. It makes no sense. I don't feel it, or see it... or... anything. And so the whole idea(though they mean it to be reassuring) of like 'oh you'll just meet someone and you'll know' is pretty much ridiculous to me. I don't know anything.  I'm not sure of anything. I don't think of people like that. I'd like to, the whole falling in love and all that jazz. But the only thing I can compare it to is my cat, and though I love him so, so much... I don't want to be with him like I would a person. : p But he's the only one I think of all the time and who I kiss and hug and cuddle with and hope he's doing okay and that he doesn't die and don't want to leave him, and I'd like another cat. XD People... not so much. (although yeah I don't want y'all to die, want you to be successful and happy and stuff but like... just... basic kinda? Like... I don't want /anyone/ to have a crappy life, but that doesn't mean I'm going to marry them... I don't know...)

1 hour ago, Fluffy Femme Guy said:

That's been my experience too. It all sounds nice on paper, but put me in that situation and the whole thing just feels strange and I'm not connected to it at all.

I mean, when I look at it all through the 'what does romance mean to you' and kinda the majority of it is like. Ways I wish I were close to my friends/that I had 'real life/'here'' friends whom I trusted enough and was close enough with to just do all of that. In which case, it's not 'romance' is it, because then I would be wanting romance with all my friends, which then to me would not make it... such... so.
I'm not wording  this right. >.<

I think the only consistent difference thing is 'a person with whom I would 'tie my life with' (even though we of course are own separate people and would do our own things at times) and who I would live with and we would both consciously 'choose' each other... but beyond that, all the things being romance just aren't... there? I mean even in games when I was younger, I have 'married' friends because I liked hanging out with them and we both wanted the buffs and stuff and it was just 'fun'. But if I can do that with friends, what's the difference except the 'I chose this person instead of this person' if its all the same except for life, but... more things I don't know how to word.

Eurgh.

• Like 3
Divide By Zero
On 2/6/2019 at 11:50 AM, Shiloh_Rose said:

The fact I was raised in the church just exacerbates the issue even more, because I wasn't allowed to do a lot and we didn't/don't really talk about these things

^ this too

Growing up I went to mainline Protestant churches (and still do). Even though they're more open minded about sex and relationships, there really wasn't a lot of discussion about that stuff and the attitude of "wait until you're married" still prevailed. So growing up I got this feeling that sex was something more for married couples or those in a stable long term relationship. Of course, with being aro, I knew I didn't want a relationship (which is ultimately what led to me to realize I'm ace) but thankfully being single really isn't an issue in the churches I've attended (at the church I currently attend I would guess that about one-third of the congregation is single, either never married or divorced/separated or widowed). I remember one time when I was a teenager the minister at church was talking about the difference between love and lust and I was so confused because I couldn't understand the concept of lust. in hindsight I now realize this is because I'm ace and don't experience sexual attraction. So yeah, it's unfortunate that sexual orientation is discussed more in church.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Tuple said:

^ this too

Growing up I went to mainline Protestant churches (and still do). Even though they're more open minded about sex and relationships, there really wasn't a lot of discussion about that stuff and the attitude of "wait until you're married" still prevailed. So growing up I got this feeling that sex was something more for married couples or those in a stable long term relationship. Of course, with being aro, I knew I didn't want a relationship (which is ultimately what led to me to realize I'm ace) but thankfully being single really isn't an issue in the churches I've attended (at the church I currently attend I would guess that about one-third of the congregation is single, either never married or divorced/separated or widowed). I remember one time when I was a teenager the minister at church was talking about the difference between love and lust and I was so confused because I couldn't understand the concept of lust. in hindsight I now realize this is because I'm ace and don't experience sexual attraction. So yeah, it's unfortunate that sexual orientation is discussed more in church.

There were a lot of sermons and stuff, even a couple of times there were sermons specifically for girls/guys(we were separated) during a week of camp(but it was run by our church). About not wearing super tight fitting clothing, and keeping ourselves pure, and purity rings too I think maybe, and etc. One time they had this guy come in and talk about how regretful he was that he stole this girls' innocence and stuff or... something... and at the time it was weird because while he wasn't being candid really or factual or whatever, it was at the same time the 'realest' of any sermons/talks we'd ever gotten and I didn't know what to do with that.
Of course now it's just bleh because of how ridiculous it all was, but.
Oh we got talks about the love/lust stuff too and yeah-I was like okay so the difference between love and lust is like... you love the person for who they are but then lust is like thinking of them as a piece of meat???????? But I don't do that?????? but it felt very dehumanizing that someone would think of me like that and strange because yeah, I didn't. But of course it's more than that. And sexual attraction isn't actually bad, it's what you do with it like everything else(like catcalling and being rude and gross, is well, rude and gross, so don't do that if you're sexually attracted to someone, obvs). So kind of... I suppose my church almost like. Well no, to them it is a sin. Do not be sexually attracted to anyone even. Guard your thoughts, don't let yourself stumble... they told stories of how some pastors wouldn't be alone with a woman, would have them ride in the back seat and how they kept their integrity and stuff because they didn't even want to *think* remotely in that direction.
Which is maybe a good goal cause if you really apparently struggle with that, okay fine I guess but also... just be like 'oh, they're attractive' and... don't do anything to put that in action? If it's really a natural thought and stuff, as opposed to unnatural, but stop trying to suppress it and be all weird about it and cause the other person(in most cases, gals) to be in an uncomfortable position cause you're acting like they're aliens or some shite and you can't even be in their presence? I dunno.

And it was all very, very strange to me and has caused a lot of shite in my mental whateverness, growing up in that. And then realizing all this time later, hey I'm asexual, I might be aro, and just... everything.

• Like 2
On 2/5/2019 at 2:30 PM, Shiloh_Rose said:

my thoughts are getting all jumbled up so I'll stop there.

It is good to share, so thanks for doing so! We're here to help the best we can (without hopefully making this more confusing!).

What you describe does make it even more confusing, and the best way I have said in other posts around is right along the desire to have a relationship in that capacity. If, as you say:

On 2/5/2019 at 2:30 PM, Shiloh_Rose said:

shoulder massages, or be cuddled or hold hands or whatever, because that's nice yeah

and that is all, and that is as far as you ever want to take these things, then I would go out on a limb to say aromantic can be a good conclusion.

• Like 2
AmorphousBlob

Hi yes I am here now

Is there any food?

Divide By Zero
On 2/12/2019 at 3:39 PM, AmorphousBlob said:

Hi yes I am here now

Is there any food?

Yes, there's lot of cake here

:cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:

• Like 1

I've only recently come to terms with the fact that I'm Asexual and Aromantic after a few years of trying to have sex and thinking either I was trying with the wrong person or just wasn't experienced enough. I've never been in a relationship but have had a few sexual encounters which were horrible to me. But now that ive accepted who i am i find im isolating myself. I used to fake it and talk about boys, clothes, makeup, and everything, but now i cant. How can i be involved with a society that only cares about all the things i detest? Ive become a hermit because now i know i will never want to find a relationship i no longer care about what i wear or my physical appearance at all. ive put on weight and am loving not constantly trying to stay skinny. I also wear clothes 100% based on comfort levels which is a blessing after years of tight jeans and crop tops. But its hard to make friends or maintain them when they judge you based on your appearance and the fact that you no longer take an interest in any of the conversations they have. Ive lost all my friends but im not even sad about that because they can't even accept who i am. I want to find people like me who i can connect with, but over the past year i have really struggled with depression and anxiety due to the social isolation and feelings of an identity crisis. How can i meet people like me and live a fullfilled life apart from the world of sex, beauty, and aestheticism when im now too anxious to even meet new people?

Sorry for the long post. i appreciate all helpful comments

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Tuple said:

It's Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week! :)

Yay!

• Like 2