WorldPride 2014 Accommodations

Accommodations

This is the master thread for is for everyone who are attending WorldPride and will need (affordable) accommodations. Feel free to share ideas on where everyone can stay. If you need help please ask me or contact worldpride@asexuality.org

If you are available to share your accommodations (hotel room etc) or home in or around Toronto, please go to the Accommodation Sharing thread in the Meet-up Forum to fill out your information on our spreadsheet.

Options:

1. Create groups to stay at a hotel for cheaper than renting alone (split the cost). Comfortable but a more expensive option. Will probably be located in a location close to the events.

2. Camping. For people that are willing to rough it, but you may need a car. It is an inexpensive option.

3. If someone has a place nearby that can allow people to stay at their homes. If you are available to lend space to other AVENites, please share your offer in this thread: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/97353-worldpride14-accommodation-sharing/.

4. Rent a room in residence at Humber college.

5. Craigslist and Couchsurfing.

6. Hostels - "Hostels provide budget-oriented, sociable accommodation where guests can rent a bed, usually a bunk bed, in a dormitory and share a bathroom, lounge and sometimes a kitchen."

Resource Links:

Travel Masterpost

Toronto Hotels

Hotels.com

Toronto Motels

Rouge Park Campsite

Budget Accommodation in Toronto

Humber College Residence

Hostels.com

International Youth Hostels

Toronto University Rooms

Couchsurfing

Disclaimer: Keep in mind AVEN is not responsible for anything that happens during your travels and stay.

• Like 1

I remember some people talking about camping out. There is a campsite in the Rouge Valley that is a 5 minute drive from the GO station. It would be fairly cheap, but, there is something to be said about air conditioned accommodations during the summer.

I'd like to suggest something that worked really well for WP 2012, but I'm afraid I'd be suggesting the obvious. If any AVENite has a spare bed, couch or piece of floor, that's how many of us stayed abroad last time.

I would suggest Rotary Club for the more liberal souls :)

(Sleeping over at others houses)

The Evil Cashew

I dont know if all the campus's do this or how far/close they are from where you need to be for WP,

BUt i went to toronto with a small group of poeple and rented and Residence room at humber college.

http://humber.ca/conference/

they have rooms with 2 bedrooms (with 1 double bed in it.) and a small kitchen area that has a fridge, cupboards and a microwave. There is internet access. I believe you also have access to a kitchen upon request and maybe the lounges (not sure about that part)

but i know all linens are provided, it works sorta like a hotel. for eating in the room you would need to have your own dishes (so paper plates and such at the least)

It was 80$ a night when i stayed there. if you get 4 peeps in the room that 20$ each per night which i dont htink is that bad. Yes its AC'd.

I stayed at the lakeshore campus.

But remember, like i said, i don't know how far/close it is to where WP would be or the airport. BUt it might be an option to consider.

There's a few online traveling websites that Howard linked and one that I suggested in the Travel Masterpost that can probably be added here: Smarter Travel, Kayak.com, Momondo, and Hotelplanner.com. These are sites that compare prices on places to stay and offer tips on how to save money, how to navigate the area, where to find restaurants, transportation routes, and other traveling tips.

I would suggest checking out couchsurfing sites or the main worldpride forum/site(if there is one) for other people going - crashing with locals would not only be cheap and easy, but im guessing would make the whole trip a lot more interesting and fun.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, a few individuals rent their pads out for low prices here in Toronto and bed and breakfast is always an alternative.

Do you know where people can go or contact about that?

Cross posting from the travel thread because I realized it's more relevant over here:

Popping in with a helpful hotel/hostel accommodation link: http://www.traveller...en-ci-1288.html I've used that very successfully in Germany and Denmark, although I don't know how good it is in the Americas. I will say for those who might be nervous about hosteling for the first time, sleeping in a room of seven strangers really isn't as bad as it sounds, although I've been lucky with my roommates. You just have to be up to some light socializing and not be too light of a sleeper.

Believe it or not, a few individuals rent their pads out for low prices here in Toronto and bed and breakfast is always an alternative.

It's a bit of a stretch from now but I can start asking around April!

One thing that might help when determining where to book a room is the locations of WP activities. I imagine most are somewhere downtown, but if we have an idea where they are, we can plan on a room near transportation to the activities (or even a room near the activities).

Do we know where the ceremonies will be, and where the parade will gather?

Thanks! :)

Downtown is correct. The parade will start Bloor St E and Church St.

The WorldPride Asexual conference - 28 June - doesn't have a confirmed location yet, but it's very likely to be either the University of Toronto or (much more likely still) Ryerson University. The latter is served by Dundas subway. Here is a map [link removed - see JJB's post; thanks JJB!] showing both the subway and Ryerson.

JJButterworth

Downtown is correct. The parade will start Bloor St E and Church St.

The WorldPride Asexual conference - 28 June - doesn't have a confirmed location yet, but it's very likely to be either the University of Toronto or (much more likely still) Ryerson University. The latter is served by Dundas subway. Here is a map showing both the subway and Ryerson.

The link that provided shows Dundas street near the Kipling station which is the extreme west-end of the city. Here is a link to a map of the area near Dundas station:https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=dundas+subway+station+northbound+platform&ie=UTF-8&ei=Q9fmUpKQAqWi2QWS5oCoDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ

• 2 months later...

I dont know if all the campus's do this or how far/close they are from where you need to be for WP,

BUt i went to toronto with a small group of poeple and rented and Residence room at humber college.

http://humber.ca/conference/

I stayed at the lakeshore campus.

The Lakeshore Campus at Humber College is about an hour transit ride away from the downtown area of Church St. and Ryerson University (which is where the general area of WorldPride is taking place), so it's a bit far.

There are a few sites that allow locals to rent out their homes or rooms for cheap prices: Airbnb, Vrbo, and Home Away. Also, sites like Craigslist and Kijiji (Canadian classified ads) allow people to search for apartments, condos, home and vacation rentals as well as sublets, shared rooms, and other temporary housing.

For those who are more interested in finding cheaper hotels and motels, hostels, guest houses, bed and breakfasts, etc., there are these websites which allow you to refine your searches and look for exactly what you want: Booking.com, Hostel Bookers, and Hostel World (this site also allows you to choose payment type e.g. credit, debit, or paypal).

• 2 weeks later...
RainbowTravelKai

Hey everyone!

I passed through some of your forums and noticed that a lot of you are bouncing travel ideas for World Pride as far as accommodations and flights.

My name is Kai, I am a representative for the official World Pride travel affiliate- Rainbow High Travel. I just wanted to touch base with anyone who has plans for Toronto, as I am able to save you about 30-50% off the hotel prices that are listed online.

We're able to discount this much as we do operate directly under World Pride as an organization, and we have several hotel affiliations to which our rooms are already reserved at the lowest rate.

Feel free to directly contact me here, or via email (kaila@rainbowhigh.ca) if you're looking to book. I can guarantee I will get you the best rate available in Toronto, and we also have several hotels in and outside of the village.

Additionally, if you're looking for some events, day-excursions or meet and greets in the city- we have many events such as private rooftop viewings of the parade, cruises, Zip-Lining, Queer pub crawls and LGBTQQIP2SAA beach excursions amongst many more.

You can see a full list of events here:

http://www.rainbowhighvacations.com/page/worldpride

Please contact me directly for all hotel quotes! Or if you book any events online, quote KJWP-004 for the largest discount.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

• Like 1

For anyone who's wondering about RainbowTravelKai and what they're offering, you can contact the staff directly by going to Rainbow Travel High's About Page. Kai (Kaila Joseph) is listed as a call center agent and their email listed there matches the email they gave here.

• Like 1
  • 9 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator