Help for Feral Animals in Severe Weather

Tanwen

I saw a status yesterday by someone who was worried about a feral cat in the severe conditions. A Fb friend has posted this link today so I thought I'd share it and HOPE that it might be a starting point for the member who posted the status (I wish I could remember the name).

I can't bear the thought of any human or animal being homeless and particularly when conditions are so bad. Makes me VERY grateful for my home!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152133321453724&set=a.149748843723.112227.47040123723&type=1&theater

Great thread, Tan.

Also:

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE!! If you have an outdoor pet, bring them INSIDE! Just like humans, pets can freeze to death, and their water supply will freeze.

I don't understand leaving your pet outside all the time - why have them? I adore the cuddles from my 'boyz' and on cold nights them sitting on my knee and feet saves me putting the heating on :)

*We aren't having those incredible temperatures in the UK, 'Hercules' has turned to rain and gales crossing the Atlantic*

On a related note, does anyone know of some good animal centric charities? Whether through personal experience or logistics information.

There are some 'No Kill' shelters in the US. I have sponsored a dog through 'The Dogs Trust' in the UK for years - on to my third as two have died; they never put a healthy dog down, if one can't be rehomed for whatever reason then they give it the best life they can (some dogs don't do well in kennels)

On a related note, does anyone know of some good animal centric charities? Whether through personal experience or logistics information.

Your local ASPCA, of course.

House of Chimeras

Really good post and comments on this thread.

One thing we saw recently was a post/image reminding people to check under their car for cats or other animals who might have been drawn to the underside of vehicle due to being more protected or from the warmth of the motor.

I saw a status yesterday by someone who was worried about a feral cat in the severe conditions. A Fb friend has posted this link today so I thought I'd share it and HOPE that it might be a starting point for the member who posted the status (I wish I could remember the name).

I can't bear the thought of any human or animal being homeless and particularly when conditions are so bad. Makes me VERY grateful for my home!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152133321453724&set=a.149748843723.112227.47040123723&type=1&theater

It was meeeeee!!! ^_^

Thanks so much for posting this and starting this thread. "Kitty" (the feral baby I take care of) was okay today when I went to see her. Someone else had put another box out for her with blankets and a pillow. She also had plenty of food but I fed her again because I love her ( ^_^), and there were some thin chunks of ice floating in her water.

I definitely second what House of Chimeras said about checking under your car. Many cats and dogs have died from crawling into the engine space or laying behind the tires for warmth. Also, please don't call animal control or a kill shelter to come pick up a stray or feral animal. The release rate of pounds and kill shelters are very small, 10% at best. It will most certainly be euthanized because the holding period is usually only 30 days, and its chances of being adopted are slim to none. Instead, see about having the local humane society or a local no-kill charity or animal rescue to come out to trap it. Many towns and cities have one and will even travel to rural areas if they have to in order to rescue homeless animals.

Great thread, Tan.

Also:

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE!! If you have an outdoor pet, bring them INSIDE! Just like humans, pets can freeze to death, and their water supply will freeze.

Easier said than done. What's better is to often give them food and water, and blankets hay etc. Most cats will not go inside, and if you pick them up you'll regret. Never try to pick up a cat you don't know. Especially when it is in a scared, cold and hungry state. Try to invite it in, if it wants to go into your house it will. If not, then find where it hides and give it a box it can reside in, and blankets plus hay and often give it food and water. Eventually it may regard you as their pet (yes cats think they are the owner/boss) and move in with you.

Great thread, Tan.

Also:

Easier said than done. What's better is to often give them food and water, and blankets hay etc. Most cats will not go inside, and if you pick them up you'll regret. Never try to pick up a cat you don't know. Especially when it is in a scared, cold and hungry state. Try to invite it in, if it wants to go into your house it will. If not, then find where it hides and give it a box it can reside in, and blankets plus hay and often give it food and water. Eventually it may regard you as their pet (yes cats think they are the owner/boss) and move in with you.

I meant if you own the pet and it's an outdoor pet.

Yeah saw it now. But it is still important. As it is some who try to take the animal in. It is with best of intent, but the cat will defend itself.

Great thread, Tan.

Also:

This is really what's beginning to happen with me and Kitty. I've been taking care of her for about a year, and where she was once very timid (she still is around unexpected noises and quick movements, or when someone else walks by), she comes to me when she hears my keys and she knows me by sight from a good twenty feet away. She lets me pet her and if I sit down on the step she'll often try to get in my lap. I admit I've bribed her with tuna and treats for months and that's why she likes me so much. ;) She's pretty much mine now, (or rather, I'm pretty much hers), but I barely make enough to take care of myself. Maybe one day...

Well it is obviously taken good care of :)

even dogs like Saint Bernard can't survive in temperatures lower than -10-15 degrees Celcius. It is so sad that people think that cats can. I think there should be local laws that forbid people leaving their animals out when it lower than certain temperature

I've got a feral cat who's claimed the paper bin out back, and since it's been freezing at night and he can't exactly come inside (the housecat would have a fit) heating up bricks and wrapping them in an old blanket for him to sleep on seems to help.

Archived